Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 39,040 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did the new ISC update fix the random reboot problem for you?
Yes, I haven't experienced RR after the update. 106 21.95%
No, I am still experiencing RR after the update. 331 68.53%
Other (please explain in post). 46 9.52%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

ICS Updates (Not) Fixing Random Reboot and Other Problems

Tip us?

SparkssXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration View Post
Yes, I have had multiple reboots WHILE using the Transformer. It's rare, but it happens. That's one of the reasons I consider my tablet to be next to useless now; I can't do any real work on it, because I never quite know whether it will reboot and lose everything I was working on, either when I'm using it (rare) or when I step away for a few minutes to get a coffee (common).
Ditto on my wife's tablet. It would reboot on her while she was browsing the web or playing a game. I took it back to HC a short while back so we have not tried the new update to see if that issue persists.

Exnor
Old
Thanks Meter 111
No new update so far here in Portugal...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA
Devices History:

MicroSoft-Nokia: Lumia 520 8GiB
Nokia: N95, 3310, 3210, N86, N810i (Maemo Diablo), 2650, 5230, 6630, 6600, 5800 Xpressmusic.
Samsung: S8000 Jet on JetDroid; Galaxy Nexus 16GiB (yakjuxw Europe); Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 8GiB.
Huawei: Ideos X3 U8510 on EclipseRom (rooted).
Asus: TF101 16GiB; Memo Pad FHD ME302C 32GiB
Apple: iPhone 4s; iPod Touch 4th Gen.
Ericsson: T10, T18, R380i
Sony-Ericsson: T610i
Acer: A1-830 16GiB
Vodafone: 2014 Smart 4 (rooted).

edd080
Old
Thanks Meter 63
It sems it has only been released for the U. S. Version till now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Asus Transformer B6O TF101
32GB /32GB microSD
Asus Keyboard Dock
KatKiss 4.4.4 #33

ArchiDroid V2.5.2 [4.4.4]

ddseils
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have never had any difficulties with RE or poor battery life. I have been running the OTA 4.0.3 upgrade since about 15 minutes after staying up for the first time. The notification of the upgrade availability was almost immediate.

I am getting to the point where root makes sense to me, though it doesn't appear to be an advantage to flash an alternative ROM at this point. Perhaps if my logic seems faulty, someone could make a suggestion.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

cavsoldier19d
Old
(Last edited by cavsoldier19d; 27th April 2012 at 08:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddseils View Post
I have never had any difficulties with RE or poor battery life. I have been running the OTA 4.0.3 upgrade since about 15 minutes after staying up for the first time. The notification of the upgrade availability was almost immediate.

I am getting to the point where root makes sense to me, though it doesn't appear to be an advantage to flash an alternative ROM at this point. Perhaps if my logic seems faulty, someone could make a suggestion.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium
There are many reasons why u would choose to flash a custom rom. IMO, the most common reasons are...some custom roms are not based on Asus builds, which will have cosmetic differences, allows more tinkering and customization, and more settings to choose from, which again enables the user to tweak more. The custom roms that are based on Asus builds tends to be cleaner (already debloated) and built-in optimized performance and improved battery tweaks. So u can think of those roms as optimized rooted stock roms. Its really up to u if u don't feel any of that is necessary. But that's The beauty of Android being open source. We have the choice and its why most of us are here on xda in the first place.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk
HTC One (M8)
ViperOneM8 1.6.0 | Android v4.4.2
PhilZ Touch Recovery 6.26.6

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 GT-5110
CM 11 Snapshot M7 | Android v4.4.2
TWRP Recovery v2.6.3

maddoxtj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Better but not perfect

ever since ics first came out I've had RR and screen flicker and apps freezing. Since last update (.21) no RR so far screen flicker very rarely and very slight apps freeze every now and then, but if I push back then just go back seems okay. For now its much better overall. I thought I was going to just have to sell transformer and buy an iPad. Not really but I was very disappointed with it. Glad Asus is finally starting to figure it out. Hopefully they can continue to put out more updates, just not like .11 or .17.

theraffman
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
I'm to the point where I don't think I'll update my phone to ICS when it's available. I believe android os has reached a crossroad with 4.0 and have lost confidence that 4.0 can work reliably on any device.
I have ics on my Samsung infuse, my wife's HTC vivid and all 3 of our transformers with almost zero issues... Don't lose hope yet.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using XDA App

WangerC
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Hey, I guess we should be lucky that the device isn't rebooting WHILE we're using it - THAT would be a deal-breaker for me and I would have to move on. At least now, it waits until we're not using the device to "do it's deed"! :)

Has anyone had it do the reboots WHILE using the Transformer? Just curious now!

Since my initial ICS update, i've had a couple of reboots, whilst i've been using it. Just about acceptable IMO. I use my tablet twice a day, and switch it off between those times, so I've never had to many RR or SOD's, maybe once a week if i'm unlucky. Last night, I decided to leave it on for a few hours, just to see what happens. 4 random reboots later , two with battery drain, I can now see why some people are getting extremely frustrated.

My B90 TF101 is about as stock as you can get, no root, no dock, nothing special....

d3l1
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraffman View Post
I have ics on my Samsung infuse, my wife's HTC vivid and all 3 of our transformers with almost zero issues... Don't lose hope yet.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using XDA App
Same here, both our i9100 have ICS and the only bug/issue they have and share is WiFi crashing sometimes which forces us to reboot the phones. Despite that they run smooth and stable.

And the TF101 runs fine ,too, except for those random reboots which mostly cause the device to get stuck at the bootligo or bootanimation. No other issues with ICS and imho its much smoother then HC.

Phone: Sony Xperia Z
ROM: Stock 10.3.1.A.0.244
Kernel: Stock
Modem: Stock
Battery: Stock
Launcher: Nova Launcher

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF101 (B70KAS3xxxxx)
ROM: KatKiss ROM - Asus TF101 JellyBean 4.2.2 nightly #220
Kernel: KatKernel #latest
Launcher: Nova Launcher

oldcpu
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default My view is most of the ICS problems are upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l1 View Post
Same here, both our i9100 have ICS and the only bug/issue they have and share is WiFi crashing sometimes which forces us to reboot the phones. Despite that they run smooth and stable.

And the TF101 runs fine ,too, except for those random reboots which mostly cause the device to get stuck at the bootligo or bootanimation. No other issues with ICS and imho its much smoother then HC.

I see only occasional reboots from my Transformer. I need to leave it powered 24/7 to see the reboots. After the latest ICS firmware update (IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.21-20120413) I note the frequency of anomalous behaviour is about 1/2 of what it was before ... but its still there. Typically on the 2nd or 3rd day of 24/7 operation I can reproduce a reboot. But leaving my Transformer powered 24/7 is NOT my nominal way of operation, hence if I were to operate my Transformer nominally (for me), I would never see the problem.

Glad to read your i9100 with ICS is doing better. While I see some users are happy with their Samsung and ICS (on this thread), I also note that people I know with Samsung and ICS are not having the same golden experience, and they are getting random reboots (which are NOT always easily noticeable) and also getting the WiFi crashing.

I've also read in other forum threads that other ICS tablet users (other than Asus with the Transformer) are also noting ICS instability.

This re-inforces my view that the ICS problem is to a large extent upstream.