OP fox689

14th March 2012, 01:16 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 26

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
This flash contains an xml permissions file and the Tag.apk from the Canadian ROMs.

Once you've flashed this you will have the option to turn on NFC in Wireless Settings as well as be able to install NFC apps from the Play Market.

Obligatory Directions:
  1. Reboot your phone into Recovery if you've already installed ClockworkMod Recovery. If you don't know if you have, you probably haven't. Go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526431
  2. Make a Backup! This doesn't do anything fancy, but I'm not responsible if you lose everything when flashing. CWM is still technically a Beta build for this phone
  3. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
  4. Choose either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you saved it.
  5. Find your file and install it
  6. Restart. You now have NFC options.
Attached Files
File Type: zip g_note_nfc_on_fox689.zip - [Click for QR Code] (352.0 KB, 6309 views)
Last edited by fox689; 14th March 2012 at 01:25 AM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to fox689 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2012, 01:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 101

301 posts
More
nfc?
do our phones actually have nfc
14th March 2012, 01:23 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Memphis

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yup, it's just disabled on the AT&T for some reason. If you take off your battery cover and look at it, the chip is built into the cover itself.

I tested transmission and receiving with a friend's Nexus. It works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to fox689 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2012, 03:16 AM   |  #4  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 186

527 posts
More
So what can this be used for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox689

This flash contains an xml permissions file and the Tag.apk from the Canadian ROMs.

Once you've flashed this you will have the option to turn on NFC in Wireless Settings as well as be able to install NFC apps from the Play Market.

Obligatory Directions:

1. Reboot your phone into Recovery if you've already installed ClockworkMod Recovery. If you don't know if you have, you probably haven't. Go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526431
  2. Make a Backup! This doesn't do anything fancy, but I'm not responsible if you lose everything when flashing. CWM is still technically a Beta build for this phone
  3. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
  4. Choose either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you saved it.
  5. Find your file and install it
  6. Restart. You now have NFC options.

14th March 2012, 03:32 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Memphis

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
NFC uses
http://www.pcworld.com/article/21086...n_for_you.html

http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/near-...communication/

http://www.nfcworld.com/2011/03/30/3...g-application/

TLDR: Potential Uses - secure payment, data transfer, product information, location check in, task launching with personalized tags (which the phone can write to), and lots of other stuff. There is even a company developing house door locks using NFC and newer cars with push button start already use it to detect if the keys are near the car.
14th March 2012, 03:38 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 84

558 posts
Will this work with google wallet?
14th March 2012, 03:42 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Memphis

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Not yet. Google Wallet is a Nexus only app right now.

Edit: The app can be downloaded, but it does a check to see what the phone is. I'm just going to leave it installed so I can know when it updates.
Last edited by fox689; 14th March 2012 at 03:48 AM.
14th March 2012, 04:05 AM   |  #8  
Flag Vancouver, WA
Thanks Meter: 25

227 posts
Donate to Me
More
Think this will cause us problems when nfc is legitimately released? And has anyone attempted a device change through build.prop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
14th March 2012, 04:13 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Memphis

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
As in changing the phone name in the build.prop to a nexus? I'm not really sure what that would do. I'll look up the model number and report back what happens when I change it.

As for flashing this, I doubt it will cause any more problems than the root kernel and bloat removal will. Unless AT&T has some spyware buried into the phone, they shouldn't know, nor should they care.

This flash literally just tosses in the permissions XML and adds the control program from the other phones to the system apps. EVERYTHING else was already in the ROM, including the Nfc.apk and libraries. Kinda annoying, but AT&T is wanting it locked out on phones until they're proprietary NFC payment system is released.

Personally, I wanted to play with launch tags, so I figured out how to unlock it, and then made a CWM flashable that does all the heavy lifting I figured out by tearing through the Rodgers and Telus ROMs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fox689 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2012, 05:15 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 21

194 posts
just installed through CWM and works perfectly. are there any apps currently out there similar to "Google Wallet" that I can use in order to pay wireless? And the NFC tags are pretty cool, i will experiment with that as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to itsjdmyo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread