[Dual-Boot SDCard | CM7.2 Source | Guides | Recovery | Stock 1.4.2 ]

Tip us?

succulent
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKShack View Post
OK forgive if this is has been answered or if I am misunderstanding. I thought the CM9 rom was currently internal only? Would that preclude you from dual booting. If it overwrites the internal files.

Thanks,
Jason
- Boot CM7/CM9 from sdcard with fattire's cyanoboot

Cyanoboot allow you to boot into as many rom as you want from sdcard, as long as you know how to modify and compiled it. I've modified cm9 boot.img/updater-script so that you can use it with existent cm9 rom and boot it from sdcard. Thus, you can have an sdcard that can dual boot cm7 and cm9 or even quintuple boot from sdcard. It's easier to test kernel/rom from a bootable sdcard.

The Following User Says Thank You to succulent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digixmax
Old
(Last edited by digixmax; 12th June 2012 at 11:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 349
I have not been able to create a bootable dual-boot CM9/CM7 card, but succeeded in creating a bootable CM9-only card.

However I noticed that only /sdcard is showed in ES File Explorer. Is there a way to see/access the NT internal storage?

Thanks.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 27th May 2012 at 04:47 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
I had trouble getting succulents dual boot setup to boot at all. I finally got it to work by burning celticwebsolutions cm7 image to SD. It would boot to SD from the power button perfectly. Then I used minitool partition manager to delete all the partitions except the first. Then I expanded that first partition much larger to be the sdcard. Then I created the other 4 partitions per succulents instructions. I removed all but MLO and u-boot.bin from the first partition and put succulents other files there (flashing _boot, boot, altboot, recovery, etc.) It worked perfectly. Booted from the power button into cyanoboot so that I could boot into CWM to flash the modded roms and gapps. Now I have stock rooted 1.4.2 on emmc and cm7/cm9 on SD. And I use Cyanoboot to determine which boot to.

Also I found that it would not boot to SD unless the unit was completely powered off first. Someone on another thread suggested getting NookColor Power Button widget by Otis8 (99). It works perfectly on the Nook Tablet. Now it is very easy to quickly power off to boot to another ROM.
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 here
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digixmax
Old
(Last edited by digixmax; 29th May 2012 at 01:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
I had trouble getting succulents dual boot setup to boot at all. I finally got it to work by burning celticwebsolutions cm7 image to SD. It would boot to SD from the power button perfectly. Then I used minitool partition manager to delete all the partitions except the first. Then I expanded that first partition much larger to be the sdcard. Then I created the other 4 partitions per succulents instructions. I removed all but MLO and u-boot.bin from the first partition and put succulents other files there (flashing _boot, boot, altboot, recovery, etc.) It worked perfectly. Booted from the power button into cyanoboot so that I could boot into CWM to flash the modded roms and gapps. Now I have stock rooted 1.4.2 on emmc and cm7/cm9 on SD. And I use Cyanoboot to determine which boot to.

Also I found that it would not boot to SD unless the unit was completely powered off first. Someone on another thread suggested getting NookColor Power Button widget by Otis8 (99). It works perfectly on the Nook Tablet. Now it is very easy to quickly power off to boot to another ROM.
I tried this method and still have not been able to create a bootable SD card. The CM7SD card would boot just fine, but it seems that making changes to the partitions on the card cause somehow rendered it unbootable.
The Following User Says Thank You to digixmax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digixmax
Old
(Last edited by digixmax; 12th June 2012 at 11:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by digixmax View Post
However I noticed that only /sdcard is showed in ES File Explorer. Is there a way to see/access the NT internal storage?
I found the answer to the above -- thanks to succulent who pointed to this post.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 29th May 2012 at 04:04 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by digixmax View Post
I tried this method and still have not been able to create a bootable SD card. The CM7SD card would boot just fine, but it seems that making changes to the partitions on the card cause somehow rendered it unbootable.
Actually, I did it a little differently than I described. I put the cyanoboot (flashing_boot.img) on first to replace the one that came from team B. Then I booted to be sure that worked. It did, and I used cyanoboot to boot to cm7 since the partitions for Team B cm7 are the same. It worked. Then I did the partition 2, 3 and 4 deletions. Booted to cyanoboot to make sure I could still boot to that. It did. Then I expanded partition 1 (in my case to 11.7GB on my 16GB card). Booted again, it still worked. Then created partition 2 (450MB ext4), partition 3 (1100 MB ext4), partition 4 (Extended rest of sd), partition 5 (450 MB ext4 logical) and partition 6 (rest of extended ext4 logical). All the time making sure something I did did not prevent it from booting. And I always made sure the nook was powered off before attempting to boot.

I don't know if this procedure made a difference or not. I know how an SD is formatted makes a difference. That's why I was careful not to change the format of partition 1. I have read that each nook has it's own way of responding.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 29th May 2012 at 08:02 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
I just posted on the .04 cm9 thread about the rotation issue using succulent's older altboot.img with the .04 version of cm9. If it has not already been done, altboot.img needs to be updated with the latest kernel from .04. The rotations have changed in the kernel. See my post here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=26717092

Edit: I just saw it was you that posted that newboot file on the .04 thread. Good work.

succulent
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 446
Quote:
I just posted on the .04 cm9 thread about the rotation issue using succulent's older altboot.img with the .04 version of cm9. If it has not already been done, altboot.img needs to be updated with the latest kernel from .04. The rotations have changed in the kernel. See my post here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=26717092

Edit: I just saw it was you that posted that newboot file on the .04 thread. Good work.
Chris updated the kernel in 0.04 to fix the booting to landscape. I've fixed it already on the blog on Monday. I've made changes to Cyanoboot menu. The file boot.img/altboot.img are gone, they're now just cm7.img/cm9.img.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to succulent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

s73v3r
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Actually, I did it a little differently than I described. I put the cyanoboot (flashing_boot.img) on first to replace the one that came from team B. Then I booted to be sure that worked. It did, and I used cyanoboot to boot to cm7 since the partitions for Team B cm7 are the same. It worked. Then I did the partition 2, 3 and 4 deletions. Booted to cyanoboot to make sure I could still boot to that. It did. Then I expanded partition 1 (in my case to 11.7GB on my 16GB card). Booted again, it still worked. Then created partition 2 (450MB ext4), partition 3 (1100 MB ext4), partition 4 (Extended rest of sd), partition 5 (450 MB ext4 logical) and partition 6 (rest of extended ext4 logical). All the time making sure something I did did not prevent it from booting. And I always made sure the nook was powered off before attempting to boot.

I don't know if this procedure made a difference or not. I know how an SD is formatted makes a difference. That's why I was careful not to change the format of partition 1. I have read that each nook has it's own way of responding.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk
When I attempt to use this technique, it falls flat when I try to expand the first partition. I am unable to boot when the SD card is in and the Nook Tablet is plugged in.

I have an 8gb Nook Tablet, and I'm using a 32gb class 10 card. Is there some limitation with the boot system that doesn't allow large cards to be used? I've tried resizing the first partition to ~21gb, and about the same 11.7gb you mentioned.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to get the 8gb Nook Tablet to boot from the SD card without plugging it in?
When I attempt to use this technique,

digixmax
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by s73v3r View Post
When I attempt to use this technique, it falls flat when I try to expand the first partition. I am unable to boot when the SD card is in and the Nook Tablet is plugged in.

I have an 8gb Nook Tablet, and I'm using a 32gb class 10 card. Is there some limitation with the boot system that doesn't allow large cards to be used? I've tried resizing the first partition to ~21gb, and about the same 11.7gb you mentioned.
I too an into problems in trying to create a bootable SD image but the SDcards I used are only 8GB in size, hence I doubt if the issue is with some limit on the card size per se.

From what I read here and here, TI OMAP processors (used by the Nooks) require a certain "special geometry" of the boot disk partitions, so I think this might be a reason why not all disk-partition configurations that folks like us have created using simple GUI-based disk-partition tools are bootable.