XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

screen/glass replacement

Tip us?

kappen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default screen/glass replacement

So I managed to shatter the glass on my rezound....go me. I was wondering if anybody here has replaced the screen on the rezound and how hard it is to do. I didn't find a lot of rezound tear down info out there. I do a lot of laptop work and it seems like simular construction techniques. the only thing that has me a bit concerned is the whole adhesive issue. Using a heat gun to get the old screen off and I guess the new one will either adhere to the old adhesive or I need to find a source??

Anyway they appear to be 50 dollars for the part versus 100-150 to send the phone off to have someone else do it. Any thoughts???

Xsoldier2000
Old
Thanks Meter 39
While I haven't done the rezound yet, I have done a few others, the most recent being a Droid X. I ordered the 'official' advesive on the first phone screen repair I did but never again. It was hard to deal with...if you don't get it right perfectly the first time... you're done. I went with a 3M double sided foam tape after that and was SO much easir to deal with. Never had a screen pop off and anything like that. My wife is still using that phone as we speak.
Next biggest thing to watch out for is tearing those damn thin cables.... they tear so easy...seriously, do not use any sort of tension on those cables. One little tear could out your camera, or soft keys... or even portions of your digitizer. Such a pain in the ass.
Take care while dis & re assemb ling it, you should be fine. It's a lot more delicate than a laptop, so be careful.

syikho
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have never replaced the screen on my Rezound, but I have done a few other phones. My wife dropped her Dinc and broke the screen, then the digitizer went out on my OG DROID. If the Rezound is built like the Dinc then you will be golden. Took only about 20 minutes. But as stated above you MUST be very careful when disassembling the phone. The micro ribbons are a little forgiving but are pretty delicate.

Good luck though and let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

kappen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Well I opted to get it replaced mainly because I found a local place that could do it and had the part in stock. However the one they installed has clear buttons instead of red, which I like more but I think its best to stay with the way it is suppose to look. Also there is a small black line that they think might be a smug. They are looking for a screen with the factory red buttons. The question I have is I noticed this digitizer registers 4 points and I thought the rezound did 5 can someone verify how many points of touch its suppose to recognize?

quepaso
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappen View Post
Well I opted to get it replaced mainly because I found a local place that could do it and had the part in stock. However the one they installed has clear buttons instead of red, which I like more but I think its best to stay with the way it is suppose to look. Also there is a small black line that they think might be a smug. They are looking for a screen with the factory red buttons. The question I have is I noticed this digitizer registers 4 points and I thought the rezound did 5 can someone verify how many points of touch its suppose to recognize?
My rezound i got from verizon refurb only has 4 input.
The Following User Says Thank You to quepaso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yojoe600
Old
Thanks Meter 421

DONATE TO ME
my rezound has always only had 4 points

My Current Devices:
Blue HTC One

Previous:
HTC Rezound- Turning into a webcam?
Nexus 7 (2013)- Gave it to my Mother
Droid Incredible -Sitting in some drawer
Samsung Omnia SOLD

Follow me!
https://twitter.com/yojoe600
The Following User Says Thank You to yojoe600 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kappen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the replies.