Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Which custom ROM has best battery life and apps2sd?

OP Cobra281

18th March 2012, 05:44 PM   |  #21  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Noob questions, ROMs are different from kernels? Can I have the energy ROM installed and still keep sense and still have great battery life (prob throw in an Anker battery as well).
19th March 2012, 02:59 AM   |  #22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
A slightly off-topic question (sorry, due to rules I am not allowed to post in the Energy ROM thread): does Energy ROM include the mod to reduce/eliminate soft buttons light bleeding by turning their back-lit off or dimming it significantly? I was under impression that the latest version of Energy addresses this problem but I still can see the significant light bleeding coming from soft buttons?
19th March 2012, 04:47 AM   |  #23  
wardfan220's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Eldridge, IA
Thanks Meter: 1,063
 
1,196 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lk757

A slightly off-topic question (sorry, due to rules I am not allowed to post in the Energy ROM thread): does Energy ROM include the mod to reduce/eliminate soft buttons light bleeding by turning their back-lit off or dimming it significantly? I was under impression that the latest version of Energy addresses this problem but I still can see the significant light bleeding coming from soft buttons?

Slightly? lol I think this thread has what you want/need to fix the bleedthrough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhy13

Noob questions, ROMs are different from kernels? Can I have the energy ROM installed and still keep sense and still have great battery life (prob throw in an Anker battery as well).

The kernel is part of the rom, you can flash different kernels on different roms, but most of the time the devs have a built in a pretty good kernel. The Energy rom does still include Sense, so you wouldn't lose that. As far as battery life, that's something you'll have to investigate (as well as which kernel to use) in the Energy thread, someone may have posted luck with a specific kernel or overclock/underclock setting.

Let's get back on topic please.
Last edited by wardfan220; 19th March 2012 at 04:51 AM.
19th March 2012, 04:53 AM   |  #24  
bmbrad's Avatar
Senior Member
SoCal
Thanks Meter: 22
 
189 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Loving this latest energy rom! Still on my first charge. Might have to try the faux kernal next. Are you guys uv and uc the faux kernal?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1332125451241.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	953969  
19th March 2012, 04:53 AM   |  #25  
Mafioso's Avatar
Senior Member
New Delhi, India
Thanks Meter: 90
 
760 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfan220

The kernel is part of the rom, you can flash different kernels on different roms, but most of the time the devs have a built in a pretty good kernel. The Energy rom does still include Sense, so you wouldn't lose that. As far as battery life, that's something you'll have to investigate (as well as which kernel to use) in the Energy thread, someone may have posted luck with a specific kernel or overclock/underclock setting.

I found the faux kernel doesn't have powersave governor which the stock kernel have ?
NRGZ's OC Daemon settings use the powersave governor when sleeping, I'm wondering if removing this governor would have negative impact on the battery life in faux kernel ?
19th March 2012, 04:56 AM   |  #26  
wardfan220's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Eldridge, IA
Thanks Meter: 1,063
 
1,196 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso

I found the faux kernel doesn't have powersave governor which the stock kernel have ?
NRGZ's OC Daemon settings use the powersave governor when sleeping, I'm wondering if removing this governor would have negative impact on the battery life in faux kernel ?

I hope you weren't asking me,lol. I know nothing about dev related stuff
But I would think that removing a governor so that you can underclock would not have a negative effect.
glacierguy
19th March 2012, 07:47 AM   |  #27  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso

I found the faux kernel doesn't have powersave governor which the stock kernel have ?
NRGZ's OC Daemon settings use the powersave governor when sleeping, I'm wondering if removing this governor would have negative impact on the battery life in faux kernel ?

That makes logical sense to me. I would try them both and see. It would be good knowledge to share once you found out... And its not like you'll hurt your phone.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
19th March 2012, 09:38 AM   |  #28  
seansk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 137
 
786 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
even though i use faux's and have used it for a while, I used to find that I would get better battery with the stock kernel. I don't know a lot of things play a factor in this though.
19th March 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #29  
Mafioso's Avatar
Senior Member
New Delhi, India
Thanks Meter: 90
 
760 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierguy

That makes logical sense to me. I would try them both and see. It would be good knowledge to share once you found out... And its not like you'll hurt your phone.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

Yes, I've been using the Faux kernel from yesterday on my Amaze with NRGZ ROM. Right now, its hard for me to say if there is any improvement or loss of battery life with this kernel as I hardly used the NRGZ rom with stock kernel.

What makes it more complicated is Faux kernel supports UV, which the stock kernel doesn't. However, I don't know if its activated by default on the faux kernel, because OC Daemon doesn't support UV on faux kernel. To make any changes, you would have to use system tuner.

Also there also isn't any straight forward method to measure the idle current drain on the phone as softwares like the current widget don't report the right numbers on Amaze. I'm thinking of purchasing BetterBatteryStats app to monitor it, as its supposedly the best software to do it. I can't base my judgement on my usage as its highly irregular to make any sort of comparison.
glacierguy
19th March 2012, 04:58 PM   |  #30  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso

Yes, I've been using the Faux kernel from yesterday on my Amaze with NRGZ ROM. Right now, its hard for me to say if there is any improvement or loss of battery life with this kernel as I hardly used the NRGZ rom with stock kernel.

What makes it more complicated is Faux kernel supports UV, which the stock kernel doesn't. However, I don't know if its activated by default on the faux kernel, because OC Daemon doesn't support UV on faux kernel. To make any changes, you would have to use system tuner.

Also there also isn't any straight forward method to measure the idle current drain on the phone as softwares like the current widget don't report the right numbers on Amaze. I'm thinking of purchasing BetterBatteryStats app to monitor it, as its supposedly the best software to do it. I can't base my judgement on my usage as its highly irregular to make any sort of comparison.

There's a free app made by an xda dev called "My Battery Drain Analyser," by Waza_Be. It may work for what you're looking to test

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes