Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,238 Members 49,018 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A serious Question for us Android tablet users!

Tip us?

chatch15117
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgophillyingeneral View Post
Stopped right there. Do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you start an argument off like that?

If you had played with one of the early Windows 8 builds, whether it be the Dev Editition or the Consumer Preview, you would've quickly realized that Windows 8 provides the same exact desktop experience as Windows 7 / Vista.

Like I said earlier in the thread:
STOP RIGHT THERE

ANDROID POOOLIIICEE

lol
╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who donít need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

solom01
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Well, since I've been using Windows 8 since it came out on an Acer W500, I've actually gotten to like it quite a bit. It actually has made this unit (which is not too powerful with an AMD C-50 and 2gb of ram) very fast to boot and use, and I've gotten used to the somewhat schizo nature of the OS. I have had a proliferation of tablets (iPad, Transformer, NookColor, Acer W500) and was looking for one unit that would be fast to use but give me the opportunity to use real programs when needed and Windows 8 may be it. I don't mind paying about $1,000 one time if it can replace a lap top and a bunch of tablets. Since this is a preview it still has a few bugs (though not many on the W500) but compared to iOS or Android it runs amazingly well and I don't have to worry about not having flash, not finding an "app" to do something, or having to depend on a vendor like Asus to release an update. Before bitching too much about Windows 8 people should really try it with an open mind on a touch tablet. I like it enough that I've decided to sell my Transformer when it comes back from RMA (it's the third or fourth time, I can't even remember anymore), the iPad and just try using the W500 for a while.

tedr44
Old
Thanks Meter 23
To me tablet technology is the next generation of human interaction with his/her toys and machines, the main advantage being portability and weight. That in itself is one reason Windows 8 is migrating from desktop and laptop. But like Apple and PC, Explorer and Firefox, Windows and Android will coexist and will benefit the users through constant innovation and competition. The world does not need a monopoly, what Microsoft and Google should do is put their heads together to redefine the user interface that will make the tablet a better tool that will replace the old and obsolete methods of user interaction.
The Following User Says Thank You to tedr44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darkstar107
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Microsoft is too late to the tablet party IMO. While there will be some people purchasing them, it's not going to take anything over.

tedr44
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar107 View Post
Microsoft is too late to the tablet party IMO. While there will be some people purchasing them, it's not going to take anything over.
It's never too late, high tech evolves almost daily. Dangle the Dollars to the Devs and you've got a Deal! Businesswise, the tablet makers will take on whichever OS can finance the new hardware/software. And don't underestimate Bill's ego, he's not going to let Android be the Windows Goliath killer.

lacrossev
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Im curious as to whether this will mean a win8 version of the transformer will let me right click the touchpad or mouse and get....the right click menu i.e. long press on android.

They already put the option to change the behavior of the right mouse and middle mouse in ICS, but no option to have to be long press.

Other than that, we've seen competing techs being "taken over" plenty of times, but that was for stuff that was either too expensive, failed to gain traction, or is clearly inferior.

Android isn't going away, its not as popular as iOS (or is it? i'm not following the numbers), has its own share of problems, but its not just going to die because win8 comes out. MS has a bit of catching up to do i think before its in a position to kill anyone.

tedr44
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossev View Post
Im curious as to whether this will mean a win8 version of the transformer will let me right click the touchpad or mouse and get....the right click menu i.e. long press on android.

They already put the option to change the behavior of the right mouse and middle mouse in ICS, but no option to have to be long press.

Other than that, we've seen competing techs being "taken over" plenty of times, but that was for stuff that was either too expensive, failed to gain traction, or is clearly inferior.

Android isn't going away, its not as popular as iOS (or is it? i'm not following the numbers), has its own share of problems, but its not just going to die because win8 comes out. MS has a bit of catching up to do i think before its in a position to kill anyone.
Android actually allows for 256 multi touches so it's possible to develop a myriad of inputs from various sources. But for now, a virtual mouse with at least four buttons (2 left, cursor, 2 right) can be implemented. Unlike the phone, the tablet will require a more sophisticated interface on future devices with large screens serving as complete workstations that provide graphics oriented applications like cad, multimedia and medical imaging. The days of the venerable mouse is numbered.

Nebucatnetzer
Old
(Last edited by Nebucatnetzer; 20th March 2012 at 08:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6,766
I thought about it to get a WIN8 tablet because I thought it would be nice to have the functionality of a "real" OS on a tablet.

However I decided against it. And it was a good decision. The TF101 with ICS is works very nice beside those ****ing reboots when it enters deeps sleep....

The two main reasons why I decided against Win8 are.

1. Win 8 ARM devices will have locked bootloaders.

It's my device. I payed for it. So I decide which OS I'm running on it.

2. Win8 Won't be that functional on ARM devices because a lot of the x86/x64 programs won't run on them.
Android has the advantage here. It's already a established mobile OS which a huge number of apps which are getting better and better by the day.
It will take quite some time to make the normal windows programs usable on a Win8 ARM device. So why leaving a already functional ecosystem for something which will probably somewhere in the future be a good mobile OS.
Tutorials and useful Links for Beginners
No idea how to undervolt? Go to -->My tutorial<--
Learn how to get and read logcats-->HowTo by Stryke_the_Orc<--
Want to learn how to use ADB? Go to -->ADB for Dummies<--
Kernel governors, and other stuff explained by droidphile -->here<--

solom01
Old
Thanks Meter 3
You may be right, but here's what history has shown:

(1) Early 1980's, Apple has the home PC market - educational market, than IBM comes in with MS-DOS, in quick order Apple was relegated to a nitch market in the PC world (even today Mac sales barely hit 6% of total PC sales).

(2) A bit later WordPerfect owns the word processing market, everyone laughs at the first version of Microsoft Word.

(3) Netscape had over 90% of the browser market. People laughed at Internet Explorer.

(4) Palm and Symbian were the first big names in Smartphone OS. Windows Mobile was seen as hopeless, but before they lost interest, stopped trying and iOS they had pretty much crushed Palm and Symbian in the US.

There are also tons of times that Microsoft failed. All I'm saying is that they have tons of money and patience, so when they want to get market share and stay in a particular market I have learned not to discount their efforts. This is especially the case if they decide to go after Android's market share, since Android in spite of all it's good qualities seems pretty disjointed at times.

tedr44
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solom01 View Post

(1) Early 1980's, Apple has the home PC market - educational market, than IBM comes in with MS-DOS, in quick order Apple was relegated to a nitch market in the PC world (even today Mac sales barely hit 6% of total PC sales).

(2) A bit later WordPerfect owns the word processing market, everyone laughs at the first version of Microsoft Word.

(3) Netscape had over 90% of the browser market. People laughed at Internet Explorer.

(4) Palm and Symbian were the first big names in Smartphone OS. Windows Mobile was seen as hopeless, but before they lost interest, stopped trying and iOS they had pretty much crushed Palm and Symbian in the US.

There are also tons of times that Microsoft failed. All I'm saying is that they have tons of money and patience, so when they want to get market share and stay in a particular market I have learned not to discount their efforts. This is especially the case if they decide to go after Android's market share, since Android in spite of all it's good qualities seems pretty disjointed at times.
Darn right, Gary Kildall of Digital Research learned it the hard way when they snubbed IBM's offer. In fact Bill Gates did not even develop MS-DOS but he owned it. I just love that documentary!

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by solom01 View Post

But eventually, everyone had to buy a license for Windows and Office, that's what counts when it comes to bread and butter. Bill has big plans for Windows, the 8th is just the beginning of another pc revolution, IMO.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebucatnetzer View Post
I thought about it to get a WIN8 tablet because I thought it would be nice to have the functionality of a "real" OS on a tablet.

However I decided against it. And it was a good decision. The TF101 with ICS is works very nice beside those ****ing reboots when it enters deeps sleep....

The two main reasons why I decided against Win8 are.

1. Win 8 ARM devices will have locked bootloaders.

It's my device. I payed for it. So I decide which OS I'm running on it.

2. Win8 Won't be that functional on ARM devices because a lot of the x86/x64 programs won't run on them.
Android has the advantage here. It's already a established mobile OS which a huge number of apps which are getting better and better by the day.
It will take quite some time to make the normal windows programs usable on a Win8 ARM device. So why leaving a already functional ecosystem for something which will probably somewhere in the future be a good mobile OS.
Microsoft can easily do what Google has done and that is to release the source code to the tablet makers, under license of course. Remember when Apple sued Microsoft for infringing upon its Look and Feel graphic interface? It didn't work!