Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[kernel][ICS][23/05/2012] mnics (LR/CM9)

OP mialwe

11th May 2012, 06:35 AM   |  #951  
Thanks Meter: 713

1,445 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobuscuracao

*dentist*, eh? that's alright, you don't have to tell us her name ...

loaded on Cm9 of May 8th this morning using Odin and still working fine after 14 hours no problem, except for the missing instructions that I had to figure out miself.

Now my question, and maybe this is stupid: what WAS the reason people got bootloops? 'cause I don't think I saw an explanation anywhere .....

tx in advance and best regards,

Jacobus

LOL because of this --> *dentist*, eh? that's alright, you don't have to tell us her name ...

Personally, I believe some people who flash on CWM with their USB cable plugged in that got the bootloop problem. I've never had any bootloop when flashing custom kernel. And I did try (once) switching between kernels, no bootloop.

And you can see how many people on CM9 thread say that they got into bootloop when flashing CM9 ROM (with their USB cable plugged on).

I flashed the newest nightly build coming from CM9 with mnics kernel also no bootloop.

The only time I got bootloop (since using ICS) is when I flash theme.
11th May 2012, 06:40 AM   |  #952  
Thanks Meter: 343

631 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobuscuracao

actually yes, I was serious I'm a programmer, albeit on a totally different platform and language, but I always insist on detailed instructions in my job ('foolproof'). It gets to be part of your personality.

but I get your point, none taken and grateful for your effort, for sure.

"if it's worth doin' in production, it's worth documentin'"

So how about writing up a well structured, detailed step-by-step guide about the usage of Odin in order to flash a custom kernel?
This way you could help others that run into similar problems with your experience in production and documentation :)
And finally, what you missed in the OP of this kernel would be fixed by yourself.

... tapatalked
11th May 2012, 06:46 AM   |  #953  

631 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocai

LOL because of this --> *dentist*, eh? that's alright, you don't have to tell us her name ...

Personally, I believe some people who flash on CWM with their USB cable plugged in that got the bootloop problem. I've never had any bootloop when flashing custom kernel. And I did try (once) switching between kernels, no bootloop.

And you can see how many people on CM9 thread say that they got into bootloop when flashing CM9 ROM (with their USB cable plugged on).

I flashed the newest nightly build coming from CM9 with mnics kernel also no bootloop.

The only time I got bootloop (since using ICS) is when I flash theme.

I never flashed with the usb cable plugged in and those bootloop issues quite often. But let's not fill this thread with bootloop stories ;) There's an extra thread only about this problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=25496241

... tapatalked
11th May 2012, 07:11 AM   |  #954  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,563

748 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenvarien

So how about writing up a well structured, detailed step-by-step guide about the usage of Odin in order to flash a custom kernel?
This way you could help others that run into similar problems with your experience in production and documentation :)
And finally, what you missed in the OP of this kernel would be fixed by yourself

I give up explaining this. There's a post about 2 pages back which explains why I will not do what you just suggested.

You can open a thread and do this if you want, no problem.
Quote:

And finally, what you missed in the OP of this kernel would be fixed by yourself

Now I'm getting really angry. I missed a detailed explanation about how Odin works and I can fix it myself this way ???

Before I have to go to work, some Initramfs info as requested (this is copied from our sources):

# CM9 currently uses an init system with two separate initramfs
# images which are packed into the kernel image at compile time.
# During every boot process the needed initramfs image (recovery
# or Android) gets extracted and the boot process continues using
# the freshly extracted initramfs.

We are not sure but we thought packing and extracting separate boot images for recovery/normal boot images at every boot could be the reason, maybe something goes wrong withing this process. So we decided to build an initramfs/init that does *not* have to unpack initramfs images at every boot. I'm not sure about it but until now I did not see new bootloop reports.
The Following User Says Thank You to mialwe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 08:24 AM   |  #955  
Thanks Meter: 713

1,445 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialwe

I give up explaining this. There's a post about 2 pages back which explains why I will not do what you just suggested.

You can open a thread and do this if you want, no problem.

Now I'm getting really angry. I missed a detailed explanation about how Odin works and I can fix it myself this way ???

I think you misunderstood Fenvarien post. I believe his post was a response to jacobuscuracao. It was not meant for you....
The Following User Says Thank You to Kocai For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 08:39 AM   |  #956  

631 posts
More
Quote:

I give up explaining this. There's a post about 2 pages back which explains why I will not do what you just suggested

Mialwe, you completely misunderstood my intention - I tried to support your position! I answered to Jacobuscuracao's posting. Please - read my text again without anger :)

Grüße aus dem wilden Süden,
Fenvarien

... tapatalked
Last edited by Fenvarien; 11th May 2012 at 08:45 AM.
11th May 2012, 11:25 AM   |  #957  
Flag Sarajevo
Thanks Meter: 3,843

3,439 posts
Donate to Me
Angry Status update!
My case.

Flash latest nightly and boot rom.
Power off.Go to download mode,flash midnight via odin.
Everything ok.I didn't loose modules folder.

Thanks mialwe.I guess i done something wrong on previous flash.
The Following User Says Thank You to malcho For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 12:59 PM   |  #958  

631 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcho

My case.

Flash latest nightly and boot rom.
Power off.Go to download mode,flash midnight via odin.
Everything ok.I didn't loose modules folder.

I tried flashing midnight on the latest CM9 nightly with Odin too (usually I take Heimdall).
Odin works flawlessly and I encountered no further problems with the modules folder.

... tapatalked
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenvarien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 01:25 PM   |  #959  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,563

748 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Mialwe, you completely misunderstood my intention - I tried to support your position! I answered to Jacobuscuracao's posting. Please - read my text again without anger :)

So sorry Fenvarien, really, really sorry.

Yes, I completely misunderstood your post. That happens if I'm angry anyways and just dont read the text you quoted and then write too fast.
I'm really sorry and apologize for this.

Not a good day today, now I'm waiting for the next bad thing to happen, started this morning, continued at work and now I'm waiting...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mialwe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 02:25 PM   |  #960  
Thanks Meter: 275

1,012 posts
Quote:

So sorry Fenvarien, really, really sorry.

Yes, I completely misunderstood your post. That happens if I'm angry anyways and just dont read the text you quoted and then write too fast.
I'm really sorry and apologize for this.

Not a good day today, now I'm waiting for the next bad thing to happen, started this morning, continued at work and now I'm waiting...

Kudos for being such a gentleman!

(I'm having one of those days too. One of my main work tools, a really expensive bass guitar, fell over from its stand and its neck cracked. Later I spilled a cup of coffee on my keyboard. Great. So you're not alone!)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread