Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,142 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Humor] I remember when...(your noob days)

Tip us?

ProDriver77
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Wow! I'm only turning 35 in a few days, and you all are already making me feel OLD!

I remember my first phone: An Audiovox hand-held Mio I bought from CellularOne. My friends thought the fact I had voicemail and didn't have to carry a "bag phone" was cool.

I've been though more phones than I can count over the years. First Smartphone was an HTC Touch, then Touch Pro, then Touch Pro 2 (where I learned to unlock the bootloader and flash custom ROMs). Took a while to make the switch to Android, even though I hated how RAM-hoggy and slow the Touch Pro 2 was.

One day, after playing around with an Epic at a local Sprint store, I was hooked. The screen clarity and responsiveness and intuitive UI blew me away! Didn't think I'd ever need to root it, but then after seeing how easy it was, I've been playing with Syndicate Frozen, MarcusantRom, CleanGB, and now CM9 since.

I don't think I'll really get into developing my own ROMs, as marriage and 3 kids and full-time career as a truck driver supersede all that. However, I may try to find a "Linux for Dummies" book so I can start understanding the coding a little better (and maybe start doing some tweaking or theming).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

zman519
Old
Thanks Meter 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
I remember when I searched adult things on the android market with my old HeroC and wanted to erase the search history then found out about rooting online after a Google search
A little bit OT. But I got a girls gone wiled dvd from best buy & my xbox 1 (the good one) would not play the dvd cuz it was a regen free disc. Then I got in to xbox moding, $50 or some beers man I modded so many of them. I was even modding them over seas, rooting modding xboxes samthing right...

Sent from the Drivers Seat of my Suby txting and Driving doing 100MPH+ in a school zone! Ha.
“Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." John F. Kennedy

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford

pjames
Old
Thanks Meter 12
my first smart phone was a sony ericsson w950. it was unlocked and i had it on att. i thought i was the **** when i had that phone. then a year later all the good phones started coming out and i got the htc fuze. I found the xda site while at work(i used to do tech support for att) looking for a solution to a customer's problem. I started out by doing some small mods to my phone, like custom background on all tabs of sense. i got into custom roms because the fuze and all other touchpros were being left out of the 6.5 update. which the community brought to the fuze any way lol. that phone lasted me a soild year and a half and then the hardware keyboard went out. and now i have my epic and love it! thanks to the 4g community. devs keep up the good work . i appreciate the hard work and effort you guys put into your work

Fire n mage
Old
Thanks Meter 88
I might end up keeping my epic for a year n a half since no new keyboard phones are surfacing. Like lots of others, i hads the samsung moment, n i puts da live wallpaper to beat my moms Evo 4g, lol she's so newb. Anywayz, i learned about rooting when i heard ppl talking about it making your phone faster n stuff, so, since I wanted it to be fast like the Droid 1 i rooted, very easy with the updater tool. Never learned how to dev anything, since my lappy hates windows, and i have "kubuntu" not "ubuntu" im not sure if they behave the same way, anyone know?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

MДЯCЦSДИT
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,622

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire n mage View Post
I might end up keeping my epic for a year n a half since no new keyboard phones are surfacing. Like lots of others, i hads the samsung moment, n i puts da live wallpaper to beat my moms Evo 4g, lol she's so newb. Anywayz, i learned about rooting when i heard ppl talking about it making your phone faster n stuff, so, since I wanted it to be fast like the Droid 1 i rooted, very easy with the updater tool. Never learned how to dev anything, since my lappy hates windows, and i have "kubuntu" not "ubuntu" im not sure if they behave the same way, anyone know?

Kubuntu works the same as Ubuntu. Just use Kate instead of gedit and such. I prefer Linux mint debian edition.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MДЯCЦSДИT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

orlzzt
Old
Thanks Meter 1,772
Ha! I enjoyed Shiny's OP, as I had a similar situation. I knew I wanted out from my BlackBerry 8830, and my eldest son, daughter and wife had gotten the Evo 4G. I was so used to the tactile keyboard of the BlackBerry, I used that as my reasoning for going with the Epic 4G. Found RandyShear (as most of us did), DroidDemos and Jagstzr, and "rooting" became part of my permanent vocabulary.

I remember when I was afraid to flash a Rom (after using Noobnl's one-click root) because I figured I'd brick my phone. I went with PTFMedic's BYOR, and sure enough, crashed everything. Changed over to SRF 1.1.0 and the rest is history.

And Darkie; I'll head off your "goodbye" thread now; "PLEASE DON'T GO!!". Lol.
Questions? Most answers can be found HERE

"I repeat... that all power is a trust; that we are accountable for its exercise; that from the people and for the people all springs, and all must exist."
Benjamin Disraeli

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,167

DONATE TO ME
Heck...I might have even asked "What's the best ROM"...lol. After given a few suggestions I ended up reading for another 3 weeks before deciding. Ah...those DK28 days! And the Bonsai/SuperNova/Midnight Era...memories!

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

orlzzt
Old
Thanks Meter 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123 View Post
Heck...I might have even asked "What's the best ROM"...lol. After given a few suggestions I ended up reading for another 3 weeks before deciding. Ah...those DK28 days! And the Bonsai/SuperNova/Midnight Era...memories!
Who was on the Epic Bonsai dev team?

Questions? Most answers can be found HERE

"I repeat... that all power is a trust; that we are accountable for its exercise; that from the people and for the people all springs, and all must exist."
Benjamin Disraeli

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlzzt View Post
Who was on the Epic Bonsai dev team?

Randy T and Mammon with Jaronow joining later for themeing and mods. I had the pleasure of being on their Alpha test group right after they started the new website.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

masaidjet
Old
Thanks Meter 469
Kenny what happened to team bonsai? I miss their roms: (

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App