Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,947 Members 40,566 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Finer Volume Control

Tip us?

mikef
Old
(Last edited by mikef; 29th July 2012 at 01:30 AM.) Reason: OrDroid added
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4739
Thumbs up [MOD] Finer Volume Control

Update: It looks like the new 3.0 LeeDroid Tweaks package includes this functionality, so no need to flash it separately unless your ROM does not include LeeDroid tweaks as a number of them appear to be doing now or if you are like me and prefer close to stock with just a few mods.

Here is a mod to increase to number of steps in the various volume controls based on this great thread from AndroidON.

Basically it gives you finer volume control, more discrete levels to get the perfect level.

It does not increase the volume levels

If you want that go here to Mudhi's thread.

The standard number of levels is below for the various sounds. So if you are in a voice call, and you hit the side volume buttons, you only get 5 levels, or 6 actually counting silent If you are playing a song in Winamp you can choose 15 different levels.

# - Control
5 - Voice Call
7 - System
7 - Ring
15 - Music (includes movies)
7 - Alarm
7 - Notifications
15 - Bluetooth
7 - System Enforced
15 - DTMF
15 - TTS
15 - FM

Not all of them are used as there are only ten values in the table entry for the mod file, either DTMF or TTS is missing, not sure how to test it but doesn't matter I think.

So I made 2 versions, take your pick.

Finer Control
# - Control
10 - Voice Call
10 - System
10 - Ring
24 - Music (includes movies)
10 - Alarm
10 - Notifications
24 - Bluetooth
10 - System Enforced
24 - DTMF
24 - TTS
24 - FM

Finest Control
# - Control
15 - Voice Call
15 - System
15 - Ring
30 - Music (includes movies)
15 - Alarm
15 - Notifications
30 - Bluetooth
15 - System Enforced
30 - DTMF
30 - TTS
30 - FM

Just to be clear, the "Original" version just flashes the original unmodified framework.jar back to /system/framework. Flash normally in recovery. If you accidentally flash an XE version on a non XE ROM, then just flash the right one.

Also, despite my signature showing ARHD, I have installed each of the ROMs listed below and and tested each mod to make sure they work correctly.

For the ARHD 6.7 versions of this mod or my other ARHD mods, go here.

For the ARHD 6.6 and 1.x.x TMO versions of this mod, go here.

For the Elegancia 3.3.x version of this mod, click here.

For the InsertCoin 5.1.x versions of this mod, click here.

for the Energy ROM 3.3.2 RUU based version, click here.

For the LeeDroid 7.0.0 version, click here.

For the Virtuous Inquisition 4.0.0 version, click here.

For the CM9 OpenSensation version, click here.

for the CoreDroid 4.1 version, click here.

For the OrDroid 1.8x version (Sense 4 port), click here.

If you would like a version for a different ROM then please let me know. If you encounter any issues with this mod, please let me know that as well. If you like this mod, please rate the thread up!

Update: Well, unfortunately it seems that PowerAmp (the trial version at least) definitely has an issue with several different levels using the Finest volume control mod. It completely dropped sound 4 times I think down the 30 step range, and went up/down/up/down several times within the range as well. Just tested the Finer mod, same problem where the sound drops off at a couple points in the high end of the range. Low end of the range is ok.

Winamp and the stock HTC music player do not have any issues as far I can tell.

Update 2: To work around PowerAmp issues, you can use it by changing your settings.
Power Amp settings - Audio Engine - Advanced Tweaks - Uncheck 'Direct Volume Control'
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mikef For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
(Last edited by mikef; 24th May 2013 at 04:03 AM.)
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4739
pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mikef.gif
Views:	356982
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1973243   Click image for larger version

Name:	smodpic.gif
Views:	491149
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1986592  
Attached Images

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!
The Following User Says Thank You to mikef For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gonemad02
Old
Thanks Meter 398
lovin your work on elegancia for almost a week now thankyou +1 to you

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
The Following User Says Thank You to gonemad02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4739
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonemad02 View Post
lovin your work on elegancia for almost a week now thankyou +1 to you

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
Most appreciated kind sir. Realized I probably should have posted it here in the first place instead of each ROM thread Oh well

gonemad02
Old
Thanks Meter 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112 View Post
Most appreciated kind sir. Realized I probably should have posted it here in the first place instead of each ROM thread Oh well
No,Thankyou sir!
I agree as most people aren't aware of your mod.

for those guys viewing and downloading pls give him some love and hit that thanks button. It's a great mod indeed and very useful!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
The Following User Says Thank You to gonemad02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4739
Default Added LeeDroid 7.0.0 version

If you just loaded LeeDroid 7.0.0, check it out!!

Googa
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Can this work with CM9/Open Sensation?
Nexus 4 on T-Mobile
HTC Sensation on T-Mobile, S-OFF, running CM10

asesino
Old
(Last edited by asesino; 21st March 2012 at 06:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 23
Virtuous Inquisition maybe?Thank you!

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googa View Post
Can this work with CM9/Open Sensation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asesino View Post
Virtuous Inquisition maybe?Thank you!
Not sure, but I will check them out and see!

Mohanned85
Old
Thanks Meter 17
For latest core droid please. Thx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda premium

Tags
adjust, fine, levels, sound, volume control