This is the official thread of my SkyHigh kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S Plus aka GT-I9001. V1.5 is my final release, please read the FAQ in post #2 for more details. Please refer to post #3 for changelogs of new releases, all available downloads are at the bottom of this first post. If you don't know how to get back to stock kernel you MUST NOT install this !
Disclaimer: this piece of software is not for the unexperienced and might bring you in a situation you can't resolve yourself. So don't use it if you fear the potential danger of bricking your device. I am responsible for nothing related to this kernel and therefore won't help. If you decide to use it anyway you agree to be ultimately responsible for all consequences that may occur. So you have been warned !
Besides there are even guides and tutorials all over the forum and in most cases your question was already answered.
If you take a moment and read through the WHOLE post below and a few more moments to read some of all the stuff in other device related threads of this forum, you will find ALL you need just there.
It's not invisible so you CAN find it. And forum rules and good manners tell you to do it exactly like this. And I WILL ignore every question that is already answered here.
Obey the rules !
Kernel feature list
- OC up to 1.8 GHz, UC down to 122 MHz (customisable eg. via AnTuTu CPUmaster/SetCPU)
- Undervolted (750 mV minimum) with VDD support (customisable eg. via AnTuTu CPUmaster/IncrediControl)
- many CPU governors included, smartassV2 is default
- many I/O schedulers, SIO is default
- optimized for high performance AND extreme low battery usage
- JFS and CIFS support
- TUN included (VPN support)
- cleancache (up to V1.4d)
- increased loudness
- all useful Thunderbolt and Adrenaline Shot main tweaks combined, optimized for I9001 and integrated
- init.d support (use carefully, because tweaks are already integrated, installing/executing them twice can result in strange failures)
- Thunderbolt's LMK60 addon (aka adrenaline shot's supercharger V6 tweak) already built-in, DO NOT install separately !
- Thunderbolt's remount script integrated
- Thunderbolt's zipalign script integrated
- Thunderbolt's graphics addon integrated
- Thunderbolt's binary addon integrated
- Thunderbolt's sqlite addon integrated
- Thunderbolt's screenstate_scaling script not included but compatible
- enhanced 3D graphics (updated internal kernel drivers)
- I8150 GPU libraries included in CWM package up to V1.4d, optional in V1.5
- custom bootanimation support (animation NOT included, place your own here: /system/media/bootanimation.zip)
- custom bootsound (/system/etc/PowerOn.wav)
- sdcard speed increased
- improved jpg quality for better camera pics
- GPS faster fix in V1.4x only
- in V1.5 stock GPS files are untouched
- and some more which I already have forgotten
This kernel is meant for use with ANY Gingerbread stock ROM and custom ROMs as well (i.e. Android V 2.3.x only !). To prevent compatibility problems with custom ROMs that include system tweaks like Thunderbolt and Adrenaline Shot any existing init.d folder will be purged while installing the SkyHigh kernel. This is not a bug but a mandatory feature !
If you think you have an important script you will still need with SkyHigh like the screenstate_scaling script, copy it to your (internal) sdcard first then copy it back to the empty init.d after installing SkyHigh.
init.d support means that SkyHigh kernel will execute any scripts inside a folder /system/etc/init.d automatically but obviously only if these exist.
If you are using a custom ROM without init.d folder or any stock ROM you might have to create the init.d folder yourself. For more details there are tutorials in this forum.
1. If you don't have CWM (FeaMod Recovery) install this first. If you never heard of that learn all about it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1331164
2. Now make a complete nandroid backup of your phone with CWM
3. Download the attached CWM zip package
4. Copy it to your internal sdcard
5. In CWM choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from internal sdcard"
6. Select the downloaded file "GT-I9001_SkyHigh_kernel_V1.x_CWM_signed.zip"
7. Confirm install with "Yes"
8. Wait till you see the message "Reboot to use SkyHigh kernel V1.x !"
9. Do so like the message says.
10. On first boot this may take a while. You will see the Samsung logo and then a black screen for at least 2 minutes up to 5 minutes. If this happens hang on, don't touch anything and don't switch the phone off or pull the battery. This would most probably break your ROM !
11. Usually many files and databases are optimized on first boot but eventually you will see the lock screen or PIN dialog. Then you are all set and beginning with the next boot this will be much faster, promised
Remark: especially on preoptimized (custom) ROMs this won't happen since there's not much to optimize. So it's no bug but a feature when it doesn't happen and your phone boots up in less than a minute
If you want FeaMod Recovery together with SkyHigh kernel just follow the install instructions above. Install desired version of FeaMod first and then SkyHigh. You will end up with the combination you wanted.
If anything went wrong during install just try again.
If you have any issues with your sdcard(s) this is not due to SkyHigh or its install procedure. I will never ever even touch your sdcard(s). But it is always a good idea to have a rather current backup of the sdcard(s) handy. CWM makes no backup of these, so you have to do that manually.
If your phone doesn't boot even after 10 minutes waiting (see step 10.) or you end up with a damaged system because you didn't wait long enough just go back into CWM and restore the backup you made.
If you can't boot into recovery anymore just install FeaMod 1.2 via Odin again.
If you got severe errors AND didn't make a backup because you knew better than the developer don't even dare to beg for help.
If you encounter any other errors report them here but be sure that this is no feature or problem that was already described above or in the FAQ below.
While V1.3 lacks some of the features above (especially the Thunderbolt/AS tweaks) it is totally safe with sd cards, at least I never got a single report on that issue. The older V1.3 is still added as attachment for your convenience although V1.4d already fixes all sd card problems.
For personal reasons resulting in a tremendous lack of time I have to pause all my xda development for an indefinite time. Sorry about that, but I also really can't answer all the questions you might have so please stick to this FAQ and otherwise ask other experienced users/developers in Q&A section.
Besides I'm planning to get a new phone device in just some months so this also means that SkyHigh V1.5 is my last contribution to the i9001 development section. So SkyHigh V1.5 is provided AS IS and there will be no further support whatsoever on my behalf. But V1.5 was beta tested thoroughly for about 3 weeks by several experienced users here before it was published so it is very unlikely that there are still any crucial bugs in SkyHigh V1.5.
Last but not least broodplank1337 offered to maintain SkyHigh in the future but since he is also quite busy please don't press him and give him the time he needs to answer any requests.
Thanks to all members who respect the work of the developers and obey the forum rules for a great time and experience, maybe we will see again one day in another device section on xda-devs.
1. Q: I have sd card issues with SkyHigh kernel, what can I do ?
A: This was fixed in V1.4d, don't use any other 1.4 version ! For more details please refer to post #190 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=190) first, then have a look at the changelog (V 1.4d) below in post #3.
2. Q: What's the status of my CM7 port ?
A: this is a very complex topic and I paused the development in mid March in favor of this improved kernel. I continued on CM7 for about two weeks in April but now I had to stop it permanently (see first sentence of this FAQ).
I lost any contact to YardE since months so I guess he also surrendered his i9001 development. I still supported some very dedicated users with my knowledge and experience to help them to continue the CM7 porting project but none of them is an advanced developer or even coder so they are all still in learning phase.
3. Q: What about the car dock recognition ?
A: The card dock is not recognized correctly in any custom i9001 kernel that is compiled from Samsung's original i9001 source codes (Linux kernel version 126.96.36.199). However the phone will be at least charged in the car dock with kernels that are compiled from Linux version 188.8.131.52. SkyHigh V1.5 is mainly based on 184.108.40.206 (with some exceptions for Gingerbread compatibility reasons) so the charging works with SkyHigh V1.5 (only). This was tested and verified by Rhonin86, thanks mate.
If the first command results in a permission error try this:
adb shell su -c "dmesg > /sdcard/log.txt"
5. Q: Is Script Manager needed to run any scripts in init.d or bolt_scripts or somewhere else ?
A: Not at all. You can delete bolt_scripts if you still find that on your sdcard or somewhere else. You can uninstall Script Manager if you like. And screenstate_scaling script (or any other) will run automatically if copied to init.d with correct file permissions (755 or rwxr-xr-x)
6. Q: May I use SkyHigh kernel with my own custom ROM and publish that on xda-dev ?
A: Of course you can if you don't ask for money for your ROM. This is not a piece of proprietary commercial rip-off nonsense and must not be (re)selled. I am glad if you find it useful, but leave it well alone if you don't like it
7. Q: What are the best cpu governors, i/o schedulers, overclocking and undervolting settings and so on ?
A: the default ones ! Don't touch anything here if you are not 100% sure what these settings do and how they will help you. The given settings base on over 5 month experience and testing on my own i9001 and some others. But as stated in post #190 no two phones are exactly the same so not all of our phones work best with the very same settings. Therefore I added the possibility to customise all these settings if really necessary. But you shouldn't change any of these settings at all if you don't have severe kernel related problems with your phone.
8. Q: The feature list says that bootanimations are NOT included but supported. After I installed version 1.4/1.5 I've got a new bootanimation
A: that's not a new animation, that is just one that was already in your ROM before (in /system/media/bootanimation.zip) but never showed up so far. Most probably it got there with a custom ROM or UOT kitchen or any other mod/app that supports the android default animations. This file normally isn't used on the i9001 because Samsung implemented a proprietary bootanimation method. SkyHigh reverts the Samsung bootanimation procedure to the android default one which is also used on AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod. So this is also one of many necessary modifications to make a kernel AOSP compatible !
9. Q: How do I install a custom bootanimation ? All my attempts failed.
A: look at FAQ #8 above and at kernel feature list in post #1 !
- source files updated from original patch level 7 (Linux kernel version 220.127.116.11) to patchlevel 14 (Linux kernel version 18.104.22.168). This can be regarded similar as a service pack release of Windows (more stability and less bugs overall)
- especially kernel GPU drivers for the Qualcomm Adreno 205 chip are more stable on my device (had some issues with one app that was solved by this update)
- also the car dock driver is improved, battery is now charged in Samsung's original car dock (though car dock mode still isn't activated, see also FAQ #3 above)
- EGL graphics libraries that come with SkyHigh V1.4x (these libraries are OUTSIDE the kernel, but included in the CWM install package) are EXCLUDED now and only come in an optional library pack (because these are the only ones that have at least significantly better performance in benchmarks, but some users say they are more laggy in everday use).
This means for V1.5 that everybody can decide for himself if he wants to use the EGL libraries that come with his ROM or the i8150 libraries or even any other versions that he will just install himself. More details can be found in post #566 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=566
- faster GPS fix that comes with SkyHigh V1.4x was also EXCLUDED since it didn't work for some people. SkyHigh V1.5 doesn't even touch any GPS related files or drivers, there is just the original Samsung stock driver inside the kernel, nothing else.
But after installing a new kernel or ROM the first initial sat fix usually takes really long (2-5 minutes). This is normal ! But after that it should be faster, about 5 to 60 seconds depending on factors like position, movement, shielding and so on.
So if you have any GPS issues it is NOT due to the kernel but due to your (custom) ROM or any other GPS related factors (and there are many). Please refer to the following posts to learn more about possible GPS issues. These posts were only meant for V1.4x since only this version replaces gps.conf but they also provide some general details about GPS issues: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=205 and here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=319
- finally there is a separate BigMem edition of SkyHigh called V1.5bm
This BigMem edition provides 376 MB available internal memory but breaks 720p video recording on some devices. While it still works on some devices there are rumors that it is also still possible on any device but by some alternative method. I never tested nor even used 720p recording on my own device since with such a poor camera it is totally pointless to even try HD recording IMHO. So if you want SkyHigh V1.5 WITH 720p video recording you have actually 3 choices:
1. you are lucky and everything works with V1.5bm anyway
2. try to find an alternative solution for video recording, maybe another camera app or a custom ROM is the solution. BTW: hiej claims that it works on his device with BigMem edition, maybe it's a feature of his GingerRevenge ROM so you should test that one first
3. just use the normal V1.5 of SkyHigh, it has 359 MB available memory which is still better than the stock kernels
Update to V1.4d [06-04-12]:
- sdcard problem fixed
In prior 1.4x versions the external SD card is suspended ("ejected") when the phone goes into sleep mode. On some phones the automatic re-detection of the SD card fails several times at wakeup so that it can't be accessed any longer. No data is corrupted though and reboot of the phone or reinsertion of the card are possible workarounds. As this is not practical in everyday use V1.4d solves this sdcard issue by reverting the sdcard power management routines to the original Samsung source version.
Just to be on the safe side I recommend everyone to use this modified V1.4d instead of V1.4 even if you have no sdcard issues so far. At least I do so
If you are a flashaholic and an owner of the Sony Xperia U, you may be interested in the … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?