5,599,977 Members 45,088 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RESOLVED] A500 - SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card compatible?

Tip us?

vprasad1
Old
(Last edited by vprasad1; 29th March 2012 at 07:16 AM.) Reason: See Ojones838 post for tip on setup
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Question [RESOLVED] A500 - SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card compatible?

Anybody know if the A500 is capable of using the 59.4GB formatted space on the SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card?

edit: answer = Yes with setup tip provided by ojones838

mtmerrick
Old
Thanks Meter 100
I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that it only supports up to 32gb microsd

My Comprehensive Android Buyer's Guide

Main Device:
Bootloader Unlocked VZW Note II running Paranoid Android 4.2 Beta 3

Other Devices:
Toshiba L505 (PC), Samsung Chromebook (ARM), Iconia A500 (Tablet), Droid Charge, Droid X2 (dead), LG Vortex (bootlooping)

irishmoe
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmerrick View Post
I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that it only supports up to 32gb microsd
That's strange, is there big difference between supporting 32gb and 64gb? I would have thought that when in development they would have made sure it supported the largest microsd on the market. 64gb (59) would be nice to have.

mtmerrick
Old
Thanks Meter 100
well, i googled, thanks for making me second-guess myself. here's your answer.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ace...rosd-card.html

My Comprehensive Android Buyer's Guide

Main Device:
Bootloader Unlocked VZW Note II running Paranoid Android 4.2 Beta 3

Other Devices:
Toshiba L505 (PC), Samsung Chromebook (ARM), Iconia A500 (Tablet), Droid Charge, Droid X2 (dead), LG Vortex (bootlooping)
The Following User Says Thank You to mtmerrick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CuriousTech
Old
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Yep. Others here have said that it works. It just won't work with FAT due to the limits of the FS. FAT32 or NTFS will work.
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate :: CyanogenMod 11
Acer Iconia A500 :: TO 4.3.1
Generic Telechips TCC8900

PngMagic <- My image tool

ojones838
Old
(Last edited by ojones838; 21st March 2012 at 11:23 AM.) Reason: clarification
Thanks Meter 6
Guys,
I have used this SD card for months and it works like a champ. All I had to do was to format the SD in another device since the A500 has no provision for formatting a SD card. I formatted mine in my Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch(my first 64G SD Card went in this device anyway). Since then neither device has skipped a beat. The SD cards are expensive though. So be very careful taking them out of your device. ALWAYS unmount it or Eject it within file mgr before removing it. Also handle with care. More questions? Just ask...

Update: That's right! You don't have to unmount or eject it after use in the A500. As a matter of fact there's NO option to do so... But if you use it in another device you may need to unmount or eject it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ojones838 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metpolds
Old
(Last edited by metpolds; 22nd March 2012 at 02:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 109
Just to add to the information given, a few weeks ago I bought from Woot a "Centon 64Gb Class 10" SDXC card (not micro...full size) for $55 and am using it happily with my A500. I use it with a Targus USB card reader and attach it to the full size USB port on the A500. The only snag which occurred originally was that I used "SD's" own application to format it and it would only format in "Ext", this turned out to be unreadable by the A500 but I resolved the problem by formatting the card in Windows as Fat32. This now works fine and given the size you can put on as many movies as you wish.

Just to add to what ojones838 said above.....Generally speaking the A500 will automatically mount external SD storage or USB storage as soon as it is plugged in (at least this is true of my ICS rom) but it's wise to "Unmount" the storage media before removing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to metpolds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CuriousTech
Old
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Just for future reference, the hardware and software limitations for size are 32GB (FAT and SDHC) and 2TB (SDXC). Nothing in-between those.
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate :: CyanogenMod 11
Acer Iconia A500 :: TO 4.3.1
Generic Telechips TCC8900

PngMagic <- My image tool
The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousTech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saeba
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Just picked one of these up from eBay. Thanks for pointing these out and the details on how to format and use it on the A500 :)!

FYI - Just ran SD Card Tester on it and it ran at 5.91MB/s Write and 9.19MB/s Read. So inline with expectations for a class 6 card.
Samsung Galaxy S III (Android 4.3) - Duracell 16gb microSDHC
Sony Xperia Tablet Z (Android 4.3) - Kingston 64gb microSDXC Class 10
Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV (Android 3.2) - 61" Samsung 1080P DLP TV
The Following User Says Thank You to saeba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metpolds
Old
Thanks Meter 109
@saeba.....Glad the card works for you, as I said above with that amount of usable space you can put as many movies (including large size blu-ray's) as you want. Certainly enough to keep me happy on my transatlantic flights!
Thanks for the info re the speed test, class 6 seemed to me about right.....have learn't to take maker's claims about speed with a grain of salt.