Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 44,991 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Updated 4-3 Enhanced ICS Camera 1.3.1 (FC24) + How-To

Tip us?

KCRic
Old
(Last edited by KCRic; 3rd April 2012 at 02:38 PM.) Reason: Updated OP - new version
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Default Updated 4-3 Enhanced ICS Camera 1.3.1 (FC24) + How-To

4-3 v1.3.1 for FC24 is out!! Nothing has changed from 1.2.8. I just incorporated the fix for the low battery issue Calkulin added. Again, watch those file sizes - they get big very quickly.

I've been working on this for a while. Just a little rundown this is the camera from Calkulin's ICS rom so anything he's added to it is still there. I've tested it myself and it works - just make sure to read everything and install it correctly.
*There's an audio/video sync issue, this is across all roms and multiple phones that have this mod. So far there is no fix but it's being looked in to. Until then thanks to rafalense there is a solution to re-sync everthing after you record it.

Use Avidemux (Windows/Linux/BSD/Mac)
Follow rafalense post on using it. HERE

What I've changed:

1080p new(stock)
Superfine: 24Mbit (17)
Fine: 18Mbit (15)
Normal: 14Mbit (13)

720p
Superfine: 18Mbit (12)
Fine: 14Mbit (10)
Normal: 10Mbit (8)

640x480 - because it's used for the front facing camera also
Superfine: 3.159Mbit (3.078)
Will implement in next version.

Audio bitrates for these is 128kbps (64 stock)
Sampling rate 48kHz (unchanged from Calkulin's, stock is 16kHz)

While I did put in the time doing the conversions, decompiling, and other stuff - I did not make it silent and a few other things. Credits for that goes to:
  • Calkulin - ICS goodness, making it silent, other mods I didn't do to this apk.
  • Agat63 - For helping me out and supporting me on this. Also for including this mod in his rom.
  • rafalense - For his post on editing the arrays.

To install just use Root Explorer. Any others using adb or terminal - I assume you know what you're doing already there with cp, chmod, and chown commands. Just in case though I put them up in the second post

Just a note: It may close on you a few times - this is normal from what I can tell. After a few tries and a minute or so it will work flawlessly. Also, feel free to bake this into your roms or whatever you desire. Just make sure to give me and others credit if you do.

U haz the bugz? Post them. I'm still new to this but I'll do my best to get them resolved. Have a solution? Post it. Don't leave others hanging.
MyTouch 3G (Yeah, I know...) Rooted w/ unlocked bootloader - Retired
G2 (Desire Z) Rooted w/ unlocked bootloader and carrier restriction - Retired
Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S II) - Retired
Nexus 4 16GB - Rooted w/ unlocked bootloader - Retired
T - Mobile Galaxy S 4 - Knox Free. Running Wicked v10 w/ Chronic kernel - Current

24kbps 1080p w/ 320kbps audio @ 48KHz camera mod by me. Also w/ How-to.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KCRic
Old
(Last edited by KCRic; 3rd April 2012 at 02:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Default Terminal code and future plans

Flashable zip located in first post. If you like to do it the 'hard' way, want to learn, or you're just old school like that the permissions for both are rw,r,r change owner/group to root also.

In terminal:
Code:
$su
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
#cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/etc
or
#cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/app
#chmod 644 /path/to/file

Then to change owner/group:

#cmown root:root /path/to/file
#reboot
That should get you taken care of

Future plans
More audio adjustments (hopefully 192 without it cutting out)
Increase front cameras 640x480 bitrate
Try to get the time between each picture down.
Raise the FPS above 30 (might be hardware limited)
Currently checking with the OP of THIS thread. Hopefully we can get some of these mods included also. < I got the ok from the dev so I'll be decompiling over the next few days and looking through it to see how/if any of it can be added to this one.

If you can help with any of these (or more) please jump in. I'd especially like some help from anyone knowledgeable in audio/video or photography to help on numbers for quality tweaks. some questions I have are:
Since we only have one mic does setting audio recording to 2 channel really matter or is it better to set it to 1 and let the playback equipment (home theater or VLC for example) decode it to stereo?
How high should the bitrates (video) go before it becomes unnoticeable in terms of quality?
I've heard the stock audio gain is too high - if I can adjust it, how much should I drop it?

If you'd like to see how this is done and try it yourself I have a how-to on page 8, post 75. LINK There's also a 'cheat sheet' attached to the post.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RainMotorsports
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Keep it up. My E4GT being the only video camera I have any improvements to bitrate and other options are good news.
Current Phone Nexus 5 | Black 311 | CyanogenMod 11 | T-Mobile
Old Phone Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch | CyanogenMod 11 | FI25 Modem
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX

painkillaz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So if we are currently on Calkulin's E4GT 2 v1.1 is this any different from the camera on there?

KCRic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
I'm doing what I can. It's my only one also not to mention I can take it into concerts that won't allow video cameras.

I'm working on the fps setting. I've read that Sammy didn't give us much to play with in that area but hopefully I can get it above 30fps. The bitrates for video can go higher but Potatoman over on the i9100 forum says it doesn't make a difference past 24 or so. It just makes a huge file.
T - Mobile Galaxy S 4 - Knox Free. Running Wicked v10 w/ Chronic kernel - Current

KCRic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkillaz View Post
So if we are currently on Calkulin's E4GT 2 v1.1 is this any different from the camera on there?
Not in looks, just in performance. The bitrates for audio and video are higher which leads to better quality (to a degree). What we got stock just wasn't a good as it should be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kobridge
Old
Thanks Meter 3,458

DONATE TO ME
Is this issue (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1556355) fixed in this Camera app?

master acehole
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Will this work on gingerbread?

KCRic
Old
(Last edited by KCRic; 20th March 2012 at 06:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobridge View Post
Is this issue (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1556355) fixed in this Camera app?
Haven't checked. If it wasn't fixed in Calkulins then it's the same here. I didn't mess with any of that yet. Let me check and I'll update this post.

UPDATE: The image is flipped. It flips it to what someone looking at you would see - not what's on the screen which is more like a reflection in a mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by master acehole View Post
Will this work on gingerbread?
As long as you have a unicorn in your driveway pooping Skittles. Seriously though (you know it will be asked) this doesn't not in any way work on Gingerbread. I actually made one for GB, jst search around in the General section for the E4GT.

The Following User Says Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spankmaster
Old
(Last edited by spankmaster; 20th March 2012 at 05:59 PM.) Reason: solved own issue
Thanks Meter 13
i deleted the original camera.apk and replace it with this one, is that all I should have to do to install? I click on in to install like a normal apk but it gives me a parsing error.

Edit: Just a bad DL