**Solved**Viber microphone working fix on ICS (all galaxy models)

Search This thread

mcse_hst

May 6, 2008
Singapore
Hi All,

As of now I have confirmation from many users running different ICS ROMs on different galaxy models. :D

To summarize my changes to make Viber microphone work.

1)modified my build prop and replaced GT-I9000 with SGH-I9000.
2) Installed semaphore kernel 0.9.5b and fixed permissions from cwm.(optional)
3) Reboot your mobile.
4) Calls using Viber should work now. (This change will magically fix the microphone issue):p

You can use free application from market named 'build.prop editor'.

All the best with your testing.

Press thanks if this works for you. :thumbup:
-----------------------++--
Games Fix
Big thanks to artikeln, now we have another good source of information on fixing Viber (without breaking game) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24527729

##########post contents #######
With this solution I have tested that Viber and games works

TO MAKE VIBER WORKS Thanks to mcse_hst, thaidroid and Mc.canos

- Modify build prop (i.e with Root Explorer, it is in System dir and with R/O) and replace "GT-I9000" in lines:
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.brand=Samsung
- Maybe it's necessary fix permissions [DALVIK & CWM] (in Advanced option)
- With this change, Viber works, and it looks that others app also (including games)
###############

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using xda premium.

Last edited:

artikeln

Jan 11, 2011
Madrid
You are great

It's working perfectly in
- [4.0.4 IMM 30B base][ROM] EliteV7 Beta (20/03/2012) AOSP NEXUS S/4g

With Devil 1.1.6 and fix permissions, I'm sure that it works with other kernels without problems

Great job

Reactions: mcse_hst

rulala

Jan 12, 2011
edit build prop
replaced GT-I9000 to SGH-I9000
reboot
that will be ok:)

don't need to change kernel
don't need to fix permission(CWM)

you are really the man.
thanks!!!!!:)

Reactions: -pepe- and mcse_hst

darklordkk

Oct 15, 2010
Er

What exactly was "SOLVED" here?? :confused:

If you mean that Viber didn't work on ICS ROMs, that's old hat. Viber got updated close to a month ago that does work on ICS...:confused:

Am i missing something???

rulala

Jan 12, 2011
What exactly was "SOLVED" here?? :confused:

If you mean that Viber didn't work on ICS ROMs, that's old hat. Viber got updated close to a month ago that does work on ICS...:confused:

Am i missing something???

yes

you really miss something

viber can work indeed, But when you call someone
He can't hear what you say ... Just you can hear his voice.
this is very worse

now ... Just edit build prop
Viber works perfectly:D

fylim

Sep 29, 2007
Auckland
Have you tried telling the Viber folks about this ? From the sound of it, it may be a simple change on the app to fix this prob.

DubelBoom

Jan 10, 2011
Have you tried telling the Viber folks about this ? From the sound of it, it may be a simple change on the app to fix this prob.

Viber team do know about this prob.
One from their team gave me this link (at an Israeli forum).
I suggested them to add also GT-I9000. I hope they will...

(I don't have SGS)

Reactions: mcse_hst

mcse_hst

May 6, 2008
Singapore
Viber team do know about this prob.
One from their team gave me this link (at an Israeli forum).
I suggested them to add also GT-I9000. I hope they will...

(I don't have SGS)

I exchanged many mails with Viber team to make sure that they are aware of this work around.
As per my understanding, either they have problem with code related to GT-I9000 or they don't have this piece included in their code at all.

Hope to see a patched version from Viber team real soon. :p

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) running ICS (AOKP build 28, semaphore kernel 0.9.5b)

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
As I've said before, it's probably due to Viber using Samsung specific code. With this changed to an unknown device, they're using generic android code and it works. But now, don't complain that you can't install certain applications from the market because market won't recognize that you're a Galaxy S either!

bshouse

Mar 9, 2010
Modify Viber APK

I noticed that there is a res/raw/beta_devices.xml that lists the GT-I9000. I would like to try to change that instead of my build.props. Any recommendations on how I would go about this? I have tried to edit the file and "freshen" the zip, but it fails to install. May I could edit the installed app?

Thank for the input.

Brett

Reactions: Trak-X

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

As of now I have confirmation from many users running different ICS ROMs on different galaxy models. :D

To summarize my changes to make Viber microphone work.

1)modified my build prop and replaced GT-I9000 with SGH-I9000.
    2) Installed semaphore kernel 0.9.5b and fixed permissions from cwm.(optional)
    3) Reboot your mobile.
    4) Calls using Viber should work now. (This change will magically fix the microphone issue):p

You can use free application from market named 'build.prop editor'.

All the best with your testing.

Press thanks if this works for you. :thumbup:
    Games Fix
    Big thanks to artikeln, now we have another good source of information on fixing Viber (without breaking game) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24527729

##########post contents #######
    With this solution I have tested that Viber and games works

TO MAKE VIBER WORKS Thanks to mcse_hst, thaidroid and Mc.canos

- Modify build prop (i.e with Root Explorer, it is in System dir and with R/O) and replace "GT-I9000" in lines:
    ro.product.model=Nexus S
    ro.product.brand=Samsung
    - Maybe it's necessary fix permissions [DALVIK & CWM] (in Advanced option)
    - With this change, Viber works, and it looks that others app also (including games)
    ###############

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using xda premium.
    it's not a bug , just viber doesn't support custom roms :)
    i guess we must wait for a final cm9 for the <official> support

Hi all,
    Yes, we are aware of this problem, but please bare in mind that at this stage, as stated in the quote here, our policy is that we don't support Custom ROMs in general. We did say we would partially support CyanogenMod and MIUI ROMs, but only the official ones, released in the official CyanogenMod homepage.

The reason that we can't implement this seemingly simple fix is that we can't keep track of ROM versions and keep adapting Viber time and time again to the "small" changes that ROM developers put in them, like this case.

We are thrilled to see that mcse_hst found a solution, and that it's spreading now. However, unfortunately our policy remains so we can't devote resources to "keeping tracking" of daily versions of ROMs. We just can't afford it at this stage :(

However, as we said, we're glad it's all fixed now :)
    We are still here though, and will keep showing presence on XDA to hear user reports and feedbacks.
    All,

We are thrilled to hear that the microphone problem on CM9 has indeed been solved. Enjoy the app, and as always, please feel free to contact us regarding any problem/suggestion you might have :)

@Vertron -
    I apologize for my late response.
    Having to check Viber for messages (without it notifying you) is not expected behavior. As I mentioned previously, this *could* be due to an unstable internet connection or the very fact that you're running a Custom ROM.
    The next step for testing this issue is check whether or not it occurs on Stock ROM for you. If you decide that it's worth the test, and it the problem still persists on Stock, then I will direct you to our Support Team for further investigation of this issue :)
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.device
    They must be edit

ro.build.product
    ro.product.name
    I am very Sure The TWo don't need to replace

And who can tell me If we replace the GT-I9000 to SGH-I9000
    will Our phone happen some Unpredictable trobule ??:confused:
    All,

We are about to release our new version (Viber 2.2) hopefully within the next several days. Once available, we'd appreciate if you could let us know if the Force Close problem still persists.

All that while, please bear in mind that Viber does not officially support Custom ROMs.