HTC Evo 3D Screen Repair Guide

OP repairsuniverse

22nd March 2012, 08:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 750

623 posts
Has the outer touch screen been cracked or damaged on your HTC Evo 3D? Is the inner display LCD not functioning properly or become damaged? Or are you just curious of the disassembly process on the Evo 3D? This written repair guide will walk you through all the steps required to disassemble your Evo 3D and repair a damaged screen or other internal parts in a safe, quick manner.

This guide will help you install the following HTC Evo 3D replacement part (s):
  • HTC Evo 3D Touch Screen Digitizer
  • HTC Evo 3D LCD Display Screen
  • HTC Evo 3D Full Housing Assembly
  • HTC Evo 3D Ear Speaker
  • HTC Evo 3D Loud Speaker
  • And Other HTC Evo 3D Replacement Parts

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • T3 Torx Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips (For Touch Screen Replacements)
  • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC Evo 3D take apart repair guide:
  • Separate the back housing cover from the face of the phone with fingers (just as you would to replace the battery). Then remove the battery and set aside.
  • Using a the T5 screwdriver, remove the two center edge screws just above where the battery was located.
  • Then, you will use the T3 screwdriver to remove the four corner screws at the edge of the phone. Set all screws aside.
  • Using the pry tool, slide it into the seam and separate the face of the phone from the back housing as shown in figure 1.

Figure 1
  • Using the pry tool and nippers, carefully lift and separate all clips and cables that are holding the motherboard in place. These will often appear as flat pieces of metal, but are sometimes an actual ribbon, such as the camera ribbon cable.
  • Remove the yellow tape that will reveal two additional cables that are tucked into the motherboard. By using nippers, you can slide these out without damaging them.
  • The last connective piece looks like an L-shaped piece of metal, as shown in figure 2. Separate this piece carefully.

Figure 2
  • Carefully separate the motherboard, as it will still be connected underneath by several cables. Two of these cables are located together, and can be removed after lifting the cover tape to reveal the connection spot, as shown in figure 3.

Figure 3
  • After disconnecting these two cables, you can disconnect the smaller one on the other end in the same manner. Now you can safely remove the motherboard and set aside.
  • Remove four screws that are located at the edge of the phone with your T5 screwdriver, and lift out the cable.
  • The bottom blue flex cable can be removed by slowly separating all extending cables connected to it. Demonstrated in figure 4.

Figure 4
  • If you are replacing the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen solely, you will want to continue in the take-apart process by using your hot air gun or hair dryer to heat up the phone’s glue.
  • Using your pry tool, you can safely slide it around the seam of the screen to be able to remove the touch screen digitizer from the LCD screen, allowing you to replace either of these parts individually.

Now you will be able to replace any parts on your HTC Evo 3D. Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
Last edited by repairsuniverse; 22nd March 2012 at 08:55 PM.
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2012, 09:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Apopka, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,205

2,485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice tutorial.
The Following User Says Thank You to eXplicit815 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2012, 09:18 PM   |  #3  
Flag Santa Cruz,CA
Thanks Meter: 226

1,530 posts
More
This needs to be on the stickies

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thizzlemania91 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2012, 09:20 PM   |  #4  
Flag Vegas
Thanks Meter: 32

124 posts
More
Indeed... very awesome tutorial, sir! My digitizer's already been replaced once. I couldn've just gotten a new one but I wasn't tryin' to deal with the 1.50 hboot at the time. Kudos to you, my friend!
The Following User Says Thank You to SirThumpaLot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2012, 10:03 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 750

623 posts
Thanks for the support guys!

Glad you find it useful we'll be posting more for different models shortly.
23rd March 2012, 04:40 AM   |  #6  
Flag Washington D.C.
Thanks Meter: 419

2,000 posts
More
Why thread no sticky yet???

Sent in the request. Hopefully a mod will see it worthy enough to be stickied. Great guide!
Last edited by oohaylima; 23rd March 2012 at 04:43 AM.
23rd March 2012, 06:15 AM   |  #7  
Flag Killa Kali
Thanks Meter: 32

382 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is fanf*****gtastic!!!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
23rd March 2012, 12:48 PM   |  #8  
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 25

170 posts
More
ohh, I just got an digitizer frm hk. cheap 14$. I will get it by the end of this week. just afraid to do it myself. but with your help it is like DIY

thanks bro.
23rd March 2012, 01:12 PM   |  #9  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,016

18,546 posts
More
Guide stuck!

Thanks for compiling all this information. It is always good to have this kind of information handy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2012, 02:21 PM   |  #10  
Flag Québec
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
Tanks
Tanks Nice tutorial!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
evo 3d, guide, repair, screen, take apart
Previous Thread Next Thread