5,593,458 Members 36,859 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Create your own splash screen! CDMA EVO 3D

Tip us?

petermg
Old
(Last edited by petermg; 15th September 2012 at 05:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Talking [HOW TO] Create your own splash screen! CDMA EVO 3D

FOR LINUX!!! UBUNTU!!!!

I did not come up with this, just posting it here, as I didn't find an actual Ubuntu Linux thread version here.

I got most of the info here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1193698
but also got some here:
http://ivegotavirus.wordpress.com/20...-linux-ubuntu/
And the application was written by this guy here:
http://pof.eslack.org/2008/07/03/nbi...h-screen-tool/

You will need to know how to use adb and fastboot for this. Have your phone hooked up and whatnot for those apps (adb and fastboot) to communicate with it.

Download the nbimg.zip file attached to this thread and unzip it to your android SDK directory (wherever your fastboot and adb files already are, this is for simplicity as you'll need to use fastboot to flash it later). This file contains the nbimg executable, and two script files "makesplash.sh" and "flashsplash.sh". The script files are just text, you can open them in a text editor to view their contents. I just created these for convenience.

Make an image file size 540 x 960. Personally I use GIMP. You can just open any image file and resize/crop it to fit as well as it can into that resolution of 540 x 960. Then save the file in 24 bit .bmp format. Save it as "splash1.bmp" without quotes, to your same directory as where fastboot and adb are, again, this is for simplicity.

Now from the command line run
Code:
sh makesplash.sh
It will then create the flashable splash file. Now you have to boot into the bootloader. You can do
Code:
sudo ./adb reboot bootloader
to get into it. Then, on your phone in the bootloader, select fastboot if it's not already saying FASTBOOT USB. Then just run the other script by typing
Code:
sh flashsplash.sh
and type in your password. It will flash and then you can reboot your phone to check out the splashscreen!

This is great you can also put your personal info like if the phone gets stolen or lost.

Please give me your feedback! Let me know if anyone had any trouble.

EDIT: This will *NOT* work unless you are full S-OFF

DISCLAIMER: do this at your own risk, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc. the usual don't blame me if this causes anything bad to happen, you take full responsibility for your device and what you do to it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nbimg.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 117 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petermg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gokart2
Old
Thanks Meter 221
Can I take the image from an already made up splash, alter the image, save it, then re-PG86IMG it through bootloader? Just want to change the color and add an android to my current splash.
---------------------------------------------------
Moto X [XT1056-Sprint]
Stock ROM or AOSPA
Nexus 7- AOSPA
Stock kernel

petermg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart2 View Post
Can I take the image from an already made up splash, alter the image, save it, then re-PG86IMG it through bootloader? Just want to change the color and add an android to my current splash.
If you can save it as a file and open it with an image editor, but I don't know if or how that's possible.
Tags
linux, nbimg, slashscreen, splash screen, ubuntu