OP BiteBlaze

27th March 2012, 08:35 PM   |  #121  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 2,400

4,020 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisliphart

Yeah, I've been using Android devices since the Motorola CLIQ, and I can tell you from experience that benchmarks, while fun to run and compare, aren't very accurate. There are way too many variables, including different runs of the hardware manufacturing process. I has been discussed ad nauseum just about everywhere in the Android community. I've personally found that messing with CPU settings just to get higher scores can easily bork an install of a ROM, so I stopped a while back. Again, I go by usability and real-world speed over any benchmark score. And no one was trying to inflate egos or act superior. It's just kinda taken at fact these days

I appreciate your input but I think you are overlooking one important piece of information that I assumed was made clear from the beginning.

I realize that, because each device is different, benchmark scores cannot be compared between devices. But, when you take an average of a series of tests (say, 20 or so), replicating the same testing environment, with the same device, you can get a pretty decent baseline comparison to use against other roms tested on the same device with the same testing environment as it eliminates as many variables as possible.

Scores that are off by a couple hundred are no big deal and can be attributed to hardware issues....I get that. But when scores are off by a couple thousand, one could likely assume that it is no longer a hardware issue and should be looking elsewhere for the source of the problem.

That being said, had I known that my interest in such an anomaly would cause people to get so offended, I probably would have kept my original comments to myself. But I have very little patience for people who, knowing nothing about me, feel it necessary to address me as if I were some random 14 y/o who has very little working knowledge of a system.

There...I've said my peace and you'll hear nothing more from me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium
27th March 2012, 08:56 PM   |  #122  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 110

457 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupmagnet

I appreciate your input but I think you are overlooking one important piece of information that I assumed was made clear from the beginning.

I realize that, because each device is different, benchmark scores cannot be compared between devices. But, when you take an average of a series of tests (say, 20 or so), replicating the same testing environment, with the same device, you can get a pretty decent baseline comparison to use against other roms tested on the same device with the same testing environment as it eliminates as many variables as possible.

Scores that are off by a couple hundred are no big deal and can be attributed to hardware issues....I get that. But when scores are off by a couple thousand, one could likely assume that it is no longer a hardware issue and should be looking elsewhere for the source of the problem.

That being said, had I known that my interest in such an anomaly would cause people to get so offended, I probably would have kept my original comments to myself. But I have very little patience for people who, knowing nothing about me, feel it necessary to address me as if I were some random 14 y/o who has very little working knowledge of a system.

There...I've said my peace and you'll hear nothing more from me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Oh, I hope you didn't think I was talking down to you, and yes, you can draw some comparisons on the same hardware unit from benchmarks. I was just saying that trying to push your device to the limit for the sake of a score can cause many more problems than it's worth. I've been through a lot of different Android devices, and thus a lot of different Android device forums, and I've found people are way to obsessed with comparing scores with other people. I've seen people pick apart scores and really screw up installs in pursuit of some other guy's score.

On a single device for your own comparisons, though, you're good. I get that. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisliphart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2012, 09:04 PM   |  #123  
Thanks Meter: 23

176 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilla

I've skimmed the posts, and I think that I may be the only one experiencing this..

I cannot leave apps on my sd card, or else I reboot to find them inaccessible. App manager gives me "couldn't find app," and I end up having to reinstall it. Am I the only one, or is this a "usual ics kindle fire" problem? Any suggestions? By the way, I followed your directions in the first post. Mostly everything else seems fine.

Also, the apps sizes change to 0.00bytes. Their names change to the long com.etc ones.

I can't say that I have ever heard of this problem before. Is it possible that the memory partition may have become corrupted? It is definitely not the usual ICS complaint.
bbc0
The Following User Says Thank You to bbc0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2012, 10:10 PM   |  #124  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 967

1,174 posts
Donate to Me
More
OK. No more benchmark talk. If you have an issue, AS I HAVE STATED MANY TIMES BEFORE PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH YOUR PROBLEM! I'm not yelling at any of you. Please do not take this personally or post off topic again. It gets annoying after a long day when you come home and see a bunch of off topic posts. Please try to keep the off topic posts to a minimum. Thank you for those who emailed me instead of reporting in this thread. If you do report in this thread then please also send me an email so I can answer it faster and not have to look through 100+ posts to help you. Thank you for listening to my rant and that is all

~ BiteBlaze via SGH-T989
27th March 2012, 11:04 PM   |  #125  
Flag Lexington, KY
Thanks Meter: 195

620 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisliphart

No battery issues here, unless you're comparing it to the stock ROM. Because it doesn't have hardware acceleration and optimizations, it will drain faster than stock. However, I'm getting far better battery life with this than I was getting with Energy ROM.

Were you on the 3/19 build? My battery improved a lot when I went from 3/6 to 3/19.

I'm trying to decide whether to flash this one or not. Not sure there's a compelling reason for me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using XDA Premium

ROM: Energy CM9 Kang Build 3/19/2012
Kernel: 0xD34D
Overclock: 1.3 GHz Max, 800 MHz min. On Demand
Launcher: ADW EX
28th March 2012, 12:35 AM   |  #126  
Thanks Meter: 20

87 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkeller3

Were you on the 3/19 build? My battery improved a lot when I went from 3/6 to 3/19.

I'm trying to decide whether to flash this one or not. Not sure there's a compelling reason for me.

My battery did the opposite when I went from 3/6 to 3/19. It was horrible... This rom has done much much better in the battery life department.
28th March 2012, 12:41 AM   |  #127  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 110

457 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkeller3

I was on 3/19. Never looked back from this ROM.
28th March 2012, 12:50 AM   |  #128  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin

1,174 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well I'm glad this works for the majority of people

~ BiteBlaze via SGH-T989
28th March 2012, 01:20 AM   |  #129  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin

1,174 posts
Donate to Me
More
Edited OP to remind people that power off can only be achieved by 10 sec button hold. This is being worked on and should be fixed in v1.1
28th March 2012, 02:26 AM   |  #130  
Flag Lexington, KY
Thanks Meter: 195

620 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlelover

My battery did the opposite when I went from 3/6 to 3/19. It was horrible... This rom has done much much better in the battery life department.

So is it themed?

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm9 reloaded, cool ics rom, ics kindle fire, kindle fire cm9, reloadedrom™
Previous Thread Next Thread