Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 51,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel][AOSP][ICS] Safe CWM6/TWRP

Tip us?

chris41g
Old
(Last edited by chris41g; 23rd August 2012 at 06:43 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3604

DONATE TO ME
Default [Kernel][AOSP][ICS] Safe CWM6/TWRP

***This kernel is still in active development, and currently in testing, flash at your own risk... I DO NOT currently have this device, if you think that is a hindrance to my ability to develop for it, then wait for someone with the device to make a better kernel. Don't flash this one, then bitch about it not working right. The second post is updated by FrancIsBacon regularly with the status of the test kernels.. and I delete the bad ones as soon as I get negative feedback. If you would like to be more active in testing join us in #ICS-DEV-E4GT on freenode.***

My build process automatically uploads every kernel I build to my goo.im folder, so if you aren't in the testing mood, you should probably read post 2, or maybe the thread a little before flashing one of them...

Here you go, latest installment...

http://goo.im/devs/chris41g/CM/Kernel

http://chris41g.devphone.org/index.p...M9%2FKernel%2F

Built from source.. with CWM6 and is patched for safety..

It is for AOSP roms only atm, will add a TW version in a little while.

a couple of added features:

New Schedulers
SIO
VR
New Governors
LulzActive
SmartassV2
Hotplug
Pegasusq
CWMv6
Patched eMMC
Battery Tweaks
Speed Tweaks
So much **** I can't being to remember or list it all...
good thing I have this:

https://github.com/EpicAOSP/android_...h/commits/ics/

Full source:

https://github.com/EpicAOSP/android_...ng_epic4gtouch

Mucho thanks to:
TeamEpic
Cyanogen
CyanogenMOD team
Shabbypenguin
All my testers on freenode #ICS-DEV-E4GT
slick_rick
orrkis
FranceIsBacon
netarchy
gokhanmoral
Entropy512
codeworkx
Tons more...
Donate via Paypal

Checkout EpicAOSP for How-To's and AOSP releases...
The Following 181 Users Say Thank You to chris41g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FranceIsBacon
Old
(Last edited by FranceIsBacon; 23rd August 2012 at 07:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 145
News Update for those that are watching this thread like a hawk: Ever since the a la carte kernels stopped churning out as they had been and chris had started making whole experimental CM9 builds, I had neglected to update. Chris is on his final push before submitting his work to CM in the attempt to get the inclusion of our device into the CM device tree. Really, that is right around the corner. One last major kink to work on, and that's 4G tethering. Once that is fixed, Chris is trying for official.

TL;DR Official CM inclusion hopefully right around the corner!

I see a lot of the same questions being asked throughout the thread, so I'll put up this handy FAQ. People are also seeing chris's newest test kernels on his goo and flashing them. It's fine, and welcomed, but don't expect them all to work. For those who don't want to test out a kernel that isn't confirmed to be working, I will maintain a list of working kernel release candidates at the bottom of this post, unless chris41g starts updating this thread himself with that info.

FAQ:

Q: Will this work on TW roms?
A: No. As stated in the OP, this kernel is for AOSP only.

Q: Will this work with AOKP at all?
A: Please bear in mind that there is no official AOKP for this phone yet, so there are many different builds. Only builds with an AOSP initramfs, like chris41g's AOKP, will work with this kernel. We also have reports that AOKP build M5 by Times_Infinity functions with this kernel, and the TabUI mod runs well with it. Thanks sjsharksfan420!

Q: Will this kernel work with MIUI?
A: There have been some reports of success, but the same issue lies here as with AOKP. There is no official MIUI for our device,so only builds with an AOSP initramfs will work.

Q: What roms will this kernel work for?
A: This kernel has been tested on Cm9 and chris41g's AOKP build and works beautifully on both.

Q: Is this FF18?
A: No. This is a custom kernel built from the kernel source code. FF18 is what was packaged with the OTA.

Q: Which governor/IO scheduler should I use?
A: That is completely up to you. There are positive reports of the pegasusq and sio combo working really well.

Q: What is the default scheduler?
A: CFQ

Q: Can I set the scheduler without a 3rd party app.?
A: Not at this time. Use setcpu or no-frills CPU Control for now. Or any other app you prefer for that matter.

Q: Can we overclock?
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris41g View Post
Also this kernel release does not over clock. As I'm trying to merge with the kernel with smdk4210 and hopefully gain inclusion as an officially supported device. I'll release an overclock version when I release a TW version.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
Q: Can we underclock?
A: There are reports of instability and boot loops with underclocking. Proceed with caution.

Q: Can we adjust CPU voltage?
A: Not yet. At least, it's not natively supported. There are reports of success with apps like Tegrak Ultimate.

Q: Will this be packaged with cm9?
A: It is now packaged with the nightlies.

Q: Is this kernel 41g certified?
A:

Q: Why are other frequently asked questions not on this list?
A: I didn't see them, or I didn't remember them at the time of writing this. I will update this post if necessary, but if you think something that isn't here should be, let me know and I'll update it.

List of confirmed working kernel release candidates: 41g-CWM-RC13, 41g-TWRP-RC13, and Control 12 ONLY so far. Sorry, forgot to include the control kernel. Chris has stopped butting out a la carte kernels for now and has been cranking out experimental builds. If you want the latest and greatest, flash one of his CM9 builds. As of 8/23/2012 at 10:21 AM, MyspoonisTooBIG is the name of the latest stable build. The builds have reached a point of consistent stability, meaning unless something was wrong with the upload, you should not be having any strange issues or having to deal with dead pets, so flash away.

That's all for now.

Still running beautifully!
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to FranceIsBacon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slick_rick
Old
(Last edited by slick_rick; 19th July 2012 at 12:16 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris41g View Post
Built from source.. with CWM6 and is patched for safety..

It is for AOSP roms only atm, will add a TW version in a little while.

a couple of added features:

New Schedulers
SIO
VR
New Governors
LulzActive
SmartassV2
Hotplug
Pegasusq
CWMv6
Patched eMMC
Battery Tweaks
Speed Tweaks

41g CERTIFIED!

So much **** I can't being to remember or list it all...
good thing I have this:

https://github.com/EpicAOSP/android_...h/commits/ics/

Full source:

https://github.com/EpicAOSP/android_...ng_epic4gtouch
Fixed your OP chris
I don't answer rom support questions through PM! You will be ignored! Post your question in the relevant thread instead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slick_rick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oddlou
Old
Thanks Meter 38
You're a whore of a man for not specifically thanking me for constantly testing your kernels and having my phone borked every time I do. Also, great work.
The Following User Says Thank You to oddlou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mjs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 1679
Oooh so we can now change governors and overclock on cm9 now?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

slick_rick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs2011 View Post
Oooh so we can now change governors and overclock on cm9 now?

Yes!
I don't answer rom support questions through PM! You will be ignored! Post your question in the relevant thread instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slick_rick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mjs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_rick View Post
Yes!
this may just make me go back, lol!

kingcaliyone
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Nice

mazostyle
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Woooo. I was a tester! (TheMaz5 on freenode) You rock Chris! Awesome job bro

The Following User Says Thank You to mazostyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

im0rtalz
Old
Thanks Meter 560
He did this while having no phone, just crazy...this guy is crazy. There was endless work going on non-stop thanks for all that you do sir. :beer:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to im0rtalz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]