Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,781 Members 46,456 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RoM][XWLPY-4.0.4-ICS]SHOstock2 v6.2 [11/13/2012](FINAL)

Tip us?

shoman94
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 12,199

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzboyrules View Post
bump
No need to bump a post. If someone has a fix for your situation they will post.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
IRC: freenode|#shostock

Asus Transformer Prime[32gb]
CROMBi-kk-4.4.2

Asus Transformer[16gb]
KatKiss-4.4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to shoman94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jank4AU
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,750

DONATE TO ME
Battery drain over WiFi only when on DIR-655
Hi shoman, I have a basic question about high battery drain over WiFi; does it have to do with the kernel or the firmware? I see high WiFi drain when I am at home (I have DIR-655 at home), but it is fine at work. I got 6%/hr drain while the phone wasn't being used for about 5 hours. I don't recall this high drain on SHOstock2 2.2.3-Siyah3.2b1 combo (but I was on that combination for just 2 days, so I am not sure). Right now, I am using 2.2.6-CherryPicker 1.1 combo. Knowing whether the ROM/kernel could be responsible for this, I can start experimenting with different version of the ROM or the kernel.

Did you try setting a static ip for your phone on your network? Maybe try setting wifi to 2.4ghz only in the wifi settings since it doesn't look like your router is dual-band. On your router, what sort of security do you have set, WPA or WPA2? Maybe switch it from current setting to the other...just some options if you haven't thought of or tried them.

ROM: LiquidSmooth [9/4]
AT&T LG G2 - D800
TWRP 2.8.0.0
The Following User Says Thank You to Jank4AU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jazzboyrules
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank4AU View Post
Battery drain over WiFi only when on DIR-655
Hi shoman, I have a basic question about high battery drain over WiFi; does it have to do with the kernel or the firmware? I see high WiFi drain when I am at home (I have DIR-655 at home), but it is fine at work. I got 6%/hr drain while the phone wasn't being used for about 5 hours. I don't recall this high drain on SHOstock2 2.2.3-Siyah3.2b1 combo (but I was on that combination for just 2 days, so I am not sure). Right now, I am using 2.2.6-CherryPicker 1.1 combo. Knowing whether the ROM/kernel could be responsible for this, I can start experimenting with different version of the ROM or the kernel.
Quote:
Did you try setting a static ip for your phone on your network?
I have set up a static IP for my phone.. actually for all the WiFi devices in my house.

Quote:
Maybe try setting wifi to 2.4ghz only in the wifi settings since it doesn't look like your router is dual-band.
Yes, it is set to fixed 2.4GHz

Quote:
On your router, what sort of security do you have set, WPA or WPA2? Maybe switch it from current setting to the other...just some options if you haven't thought of or tried them.
I have to set to WPA because the WiFi PCI card on my desktop (yes PCI card, it's that old) doesn't understand WPA2. I still went ahead and changed the security to WPA2 for a day. I even tried removing security altogether and use MAC filter instead. But that didn't help. I also play with the beacon interval, etc settings on the router. That didn't seem to make much difference, actually I underpowered it so much that all the devices in the house began to lose connection :P

@shoman and other people having 0 wifi complaints: What router do you use?
Nexus 4 16GB | PA 4.0 beta

Jank4AU
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,750

DONATE TO ME
Maybe just try resetting the router. I find I have to do that once every few months with my NetGear N600.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

AT&T LG G2 - D800
TWRP 2.8.0.0

shoman94
Old
(Last edited by shoman94; 11th May 2012 at 09:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12,199

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I have set up a static IP for my phone.. actually for all the WiFi devices in my house.

Yes, it is set to fixed 2.4GHz

I have to set to WPA because the WiFi PCI card on my desktop (yes PCI card, it's that old) doesn't understand WPA2. I still went ahead and changed the security to WPA2 for a day. I even tried removing security altogether and use MAC filter instead. But that didn't help. I also play with the beacon interval, etc settings on the router. That didn't seem to make much difference, actually I underpowered it so much that all the devices in the house began to lose connection :P

@shoman and other people having 0 wifi complaints: What router do you use?
NetGear wndr3700.
Try disabling ipv6 on the router.

Also your router should have a wpa/wpa2 combo mode.

CROMBi-kk-4.4.2

Asus Transformer[16gb]
KatKiss-4.4.2

jazzboyrules
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Maybe just try resetting the router. I find I have to do that once every few months with my NetGear N600.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA
Well, I reset my router after making any of the above changes. Still I will try it once again tonight.
Nexus 4 16GB | PA 4.0 beta

nizbot
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Well, I reset my router after making any of the above changes. Still I will try it once again tonight.
As my previous post stated...I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to ipv6 wakelocks. wlan_rx, wlan_wake. Search for it, but silver bullet fixes aren't really available unless you're willing to go back to Gingerbread on that specific issue it seems.

Have you done anything other than look at the stock battery app?

Also: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1308030

Also: Monitor Better Battery Stats and CPU Spy like the rest of us to narrow it down (as you might have already done.) and provide more detail to your issue.

gl

Jank4AU
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,750

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
NetGear wndr3700.
Try disabling ipv6 on the router.

Also your router should have a wpa/wpa2 combo mode.

Not sure about all routers, but I know on mine, NetGear WNDR3400, if you enable the combo mode (WPA/WPA2) you lose N speeds and are limited to G speeds only, 54Mbs. That's probably still fast enough, but I'm just saying. Also, on my router, ipV6 was disabled by default. I'd bet they all are unless you specifically enable it. I could definitely be wrong...it's happened before, my wife reminds me all the time!

AT&T LG G2 - D800
TWRP 2.8.0.0

shoman94
Old
Thanks Meter 12,199

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Not sure about all routers, but I know on mine, NetGear WNDR3400, if you enable the combo mode (WPA/WPA2) you lose N speeds and are limited to G speeds only, 54Mbs. That's probably still fast enough, but I'm just saying. Also, on my router, ipV6 was disabled by default. I'd bet they all are unless you specifically enable it. I could definitely be wrong...it's happened before, my wife reminds me all the time!
wpa/wpa2 is still faster then not running wpa2 at all. In his case he is running wpa.... so he won't see a drop in speed.

They are not all disabled by default.

CROMBi-kk-4.4.2

Asus Transformer[16gb]
KatKiss-4.4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to shoman94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jank4AU
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,750

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
wpa/wpa2 is still faster then not running wpa2 at all. In his case he is running wpa.... so he won't see a drop in speed.

They are not all disabled by default.
Out of curiosity, not to be argumentative, but why would running combo be faster than just WPA if WPA is the limiting factor? It would seem logical that if you're limited to what you can get by WPA, enabling WPA2 won't get you anything additional? Or, is it only going to be a limiting factor if you have another device on your network that is using WPA and that's causing the limitation? Thanks in advance, dude.

AT&T LG G2 - D800
TWRP 2.8.0.0

Tags
beast, best kernel, cherrypicker, mhl compatible, sgh-i777, shostock, shostock2