Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Best CPU Governnor and I/O Scheduler for Live with Walkman(WT19i)

OP kevincaja

27th March 2012, 04:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ham Tin New Village, Pui O, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 48

100 posts
More
I bought a new android phone which is the Live with Walkman(WT19i) here in the Philippines, and I'm loving it, except for the battery life

Live with Walkman is known for its poor battery life(which i found here in xda forums), probably because of the crapware software installed in stock ROM and battery which is the EP500 rated at 3.7v 1200mAh. Some users, like me, have a battery capacity of 1160mAh which really suck(probably country/region specific), especially when running with the stock ROM from Sony. So I unlocked my bootloader flashed my kernel to Rage kernel v2.6, wipe all data and cache partitions and installed HYBROM v15 from CWM, so far so good. I installed No frills CPU Control but I'm having a hard time which CPU governor and I/O scheduler to choose. Some people say that I should choose SmartAssv2 and Noop, some say I should choose Conservative and Noop or SIO.

Installed Applications:
Angry Birds(RIO, Seasons, Space)
ASTRO File manager
AdFree
MapDroyd
Facebook(auto sync is OFF)
YouTube
Skype(auto sync is OFF)

oh, and BTW, I integrate these two apps via WinRAR which does not exist in HYBROM v15.
Google Maps
Google Search Widget

-Screen Brightness = 40%(I only set it to max when outdoors)
-Mobile Data network = OFF (using GSM only, I'm using WiFi for browsing, downloading and updating apps)
-AutoSync is off
-I only turn on WiFi when needed

No Frills CPU (My configuration):
Min:122Mhz
Max:1.024Ghz
Governor:SmartAssv2
I/O Scheduler:Noop
Apply on boot: checked

So my question is whats the best CPU Governor and I/O Scheduler combination for the Live with Walkman(assuming your using Rage kernel ang hybrom ROM) providing a balanced cpu performance and battery life for any casual user?
Last edited by kevincaja; 27th March 2012 at 04:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevincaja For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2012, 05:41 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 42

265 posts
More
For your CPU config, I suggest increasing the minimum frequency to 320-480ish; because around that frequency it consumes more or less the same voltage. If you set it too low, you may end up using more power because your phone may struggle to process services (caused by low frequency). Reference here -it may be on another device forum but that's applicable on other phones-

IIRC smartassv2 will be defaulting to a low frequency when the phone's screen is off so I think it's good to use it, for your brightness it's ok but I use around 20-30% brightness when outdoors
The Following User Says Thank You to Kira.Lawliet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2012, 06:10 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
More
thanks bro!
27th March 2012, 06:19 AM   |  #4  
Flag Parañaque
Thanks Meter: 110

419 posts
More
sir,
android noob question...
when you installed hybrom on the wt19i,
does the walkman button still work? and does it still have loudspeaker functionality?
im really hesistant in rooting or installing custom rom on mine...
thanks!
27th March 2012, 06:37 AM   |  #5  
Las Piñas
Thanks Meter: 52

262 posts
More
use either scary governor or ondemand and about the i/o bfq or sio.
buy a system tuner pro then config your startups and auto kill. mine is -1% / 4 hours deepsleep. min. 122Mhz - max. 1.5Ghz..
The Following User Says Thank You to xachiel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2012, 07:04 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by melander

sir,
android noob question...
when you installed hybrom on the wt19i,
does the walkman button still work? and does it still have loudspeaker functionality?
im really hesistant in rooting or installing custom rom on mine...
thanks!

walkman, and walkman button still works, and speakers are still loud and in stereo

and the bonus part, you get DSP manager, which enhances your sound and music experience further
27th March 2012, 07:17 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xachiel

use either scary governor or ondemand and about the i/o bfq or sio.
buy a system tuner pro then config your startups and auto kill. mine is -1% / 4 hours deepsleep. min. 122Mhz - max. 1.5Ghz..

autokill?? I thought killing apps and processes is bad and since killed apps will restart again and will consume more battery life
27th March 2012, 07:30 AM   |  #8  
Las Piñas
Thanks Meter: 52

262 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaja

autokill?? I thought killing apps and processes is bad and since killed apps will restart again and will consume more battery life

its a memory auto killer. not a task killer. and use gemini app to config auto-run your apps so they dont run at the background
27th March 2012, 08:19 AM   |  #9  
Flag Parañaque
Thanks Meter: 110

419 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaja

walkman, and walkman button still works, and speakers are still loud and in stereo

and the bonus part, you get DSP manager, which enhances your sound and music experience further

thanks for the reply sir,
can you please share the steps you did to install the kernel and rom???
im really interested in installing a custom rom on mine...
27th March 2012, 09:46 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by melander

thanks for the reply sir,
can you please share the steps you did to install the kernel and rom???
im really interested in installing a custom rom on mine...

First, download all the necessary files:
this thread contains all the necessary files to unlock your bootloader, at the same time flash a custom kernel that contains ClockWorkMod(CWM) and root.
they also include download for the stock kernel with CMW and root but no overclocking, extra cpu governors and I/O scheduler features:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1560613

if you want to overclock your phone, or improve battery life, download rage kernel:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1398910

then download hybrom v15:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1373435

well that's about it, be careful when flashing as you can easily brick your phone.
follow the instruction in the threads I've given to you.

You install custom ROMs via the ClockWorkMod, the only thing you flash via your computer is the kernel. In case your stuck in bootloop, you can always reflash to the stock ROM of sony ericsson.
Stock ROM for WT19i:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17122099/Son..._1254-1889.ftf
then flash it with flashtool or using the sofware on this thread.

NOTE:
-Rage kernel has a different way of entering in ClockWorkMod, turn your phone on. As it boots up, as soon you see the LED indicator turns blue or as soon as the boot logo brightens up, immediately press the home key to enter ClockWorkMod.

-in the stock kernel with CMW and root, the LED indicator is always off. Turn your phone on. Press the on-off key once or twice as soon as the b logo gets brighter, to enter in ClockWorkMod.
Last edited by kevincaja; 27th March 2012 at 09:51 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevincaja For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread