[Q] Battery is not recognized

Search This thread

fokkeh

Aug 6, 2008
Hi all,

Nasty problem with my 1 month old Motorola Defy+ (MB526)

Last weekend I installed ICS9 from Quarx (20120318 build). I did this using 2ndinit CWM. Made an android backup of my stock setup, I did this over my stock SBF 4.5.1.-134_DFP-74. Used the gapps.zip and battery fix.

The system worked pretty well, but time by time it was unstable. When turned off, it had lots of difficulty to boot up again, lots of reboots and 2-3 battery pulls.

I was planning to flash another ROM when I had the time. Yesterday it worked well, started fully loaded, used it as MP3 for long time, when I went to sleep it was 48% (the accu).

This morning, I stepped in car and phone turned out to be dead. Connected it to my car charger, and it came back to life. However, immediate reboot etc. So I decided to (while driving) put back my stock nandroid backup.

It all turned out well. Stock ROM booted but gave the notice (translation from dutch): "Battery of your device is invalid and cannot be charged. Replace the battery with a battery from your Motorola"

hmm, tried it with my USB cable at the office, and now at home again with the normal charger..

What happened? Any ideas on how to solve this?

The complication is that now my device is rooted and has 2ndinit starter, warranty is more difficult.

Coucouf

Mar 8, 2012
Solution: red lens battery fix

I’m not sure it’s exactly the same issue, but my Defy+ totally refuses to charge with Quarx CM9 build 20120318 + CM9 kernel from [1].
Unfortunately I noticed only once the battery was dead empty.
I couldn’t even get it to boot with the USB charger pluged in, and the only way I could get it to boot again was to charge my battery pack in friend’s Defy.

Then I applied the « Battery fix for red lens » provided here [1] which kind of fixed the problem. Now the battery charges again, but it won’t charge over 80/85%.
I had done a « Clean battery stats » from the boot menu after installing CM9 before this whole story, so I don’t know if it had any effect.
If anyone knows better please let me know!

The instability you noticed may be due to the Android debug bug… in CM9 builds. You have to leave Android USB debug (from System params->Debug features, translated from french :) on, otherwise it will lag like hell most of the time and drain the battery due to the init process eating up the CPU.

[1] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432100

Last edited:
Reactions: fokkeh

fokkeh

Aug 6, 2008
Hi, I installed the battery fix immediatly after flashing the Quarx ROM, so that should not be the problem.

In the meanwhile I have been trying some things with the battery calibration software. That one flawlessy sees that my battery is 100% charged (i did that using the mcguyver method). But, resetting the calibration file on the phone won't help.

In the meantime I have been able to delete all traces (2ndinit boot, titanium backup and unrooted my phone) so I am considering to RMA the phone, no matter the fact how long that is going to take..

Unless, someone here has a last excellent advice..

fokkeh

Aug 6, 2008
From what do you draw this conclusion?

The battery showed more problems BEFORE i used the mcguyver method than after. When the problems started I never even heard of the method. I used it to regain life in my mobile (which I am using atm) and charge the battery, which was succesfull. Charger over USB does not work (because battery is not recognized), but that problem occured before the mcguyver.

So until now for me it did not cause the problem, but it helped me to be able to use my phone again, much better than before. I performed the method very accurately and I am 100% sure it did not make contact with connectors it should not connect to.

Last edited:

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Hyderabad
From what do you draw this conclusion?

The battery showed more problems BEFORE i used the mcguyver method than after. When the problems started I never even heard of the method. I used it to regain life in my mobile (which I am using atm) and charge the battery, which was succesfull. Charger over USB does not work (because battery is not recognized), but that problem occured before the mcguyver.

So until now for me it did not cause the problem, but it helped me to be able to use my phone again, much better than before. I performed the method very accurately and I am 100% sure it did not make contact with connectors it should not connect to.

Well now that your phone is alive, then go to stock and reclaim warranty! Do RMA.!

fokkeh

Aug 6, 2008
Yes I will, restored everything to stock and deleted trace from MicroSD.

But, I am still annoyed by the fact that my phone will be gone for 3-4 weeks :(

fokkeh

Aug 6, 2008
Does flashing a full sbf not work either? like this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574651

Hi, this morning everything changed again, I decided to give it one more try with the latest Quarx CM9 nightly (20120330), wiped data, flashed nightly.zip, gapps and kernel but waited with the battery. After that I wiped cache, dalvik and battery stats.

Reboot and battery seems alive? very strange. But I don't want the kind of buggy CM9 builds anymore, so decided to put back my 2 hours old nandroid backup, using Restore.

Strangly, battery problem was back again. ****! Than just for fun I did data/cache/dalvik/battery stats wipe on stock, and that did not help either.

Now I am back on CM9 again, but thats running O.K. (battery is working!) but not stable enough for me. CM7 (cannot remember which build) gave the problem as well.

With the latter in mind I think (and thus agree with you) flashing a fresh SBF will probably solve the problem, but I am not 100% sure. I want to be able to put back my stock setup for possible RMA. My stock is 4.5.1.-134_DFP-74 and I cannot find that one on internet. And I cannot put it back to stock otherwise right?

The one Pranks gave you in your post (4.5.1-134_DFP-1321) is that a deblurred one? Because when I put a new one, I would like it to be a deblurred. I hate all the bloatware.

Puckying

May 25, 2011
I have no idea, but I think he said it was from his own defy so I am guessing it the complete original blurred thing.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

I redid the cm9 flashing too and now at least it is telling me the battery is charging. But it stays stuck at a big battery icon and a red led is on.
Will see if it goes past that screen with a bit more juice.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Yessss, it started up!

fokkeh

Aug 6, 2008
All is fixed. I flashed the proposed stock non-fixed SBF and now running stock 2.3.6 without any battery problems. Excellent :) The SBF is rootable.

I removed BLUR by editing build.prop as proposed somewhere on this forum. you have to perform full wipe after editing the build.prop) I am very happy with me new DEBLURRED stock. Titanium can remove other bloatwhere like "cardiotrainer".

Happy :D

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Hyderabad
All is fixed. I flashed the proposed stock non-fixed SBF and now running stock 2.3.6 without any battery problems. Excellent :) The SBF is rootable.

I removed BLUR by editing build.prop as proposed somewhere on this forum. you have to perform full wipe after editing the build.prop) I am very happy with me new DEBLURRED stock. Titanium can remove other bloatwhere like "cardiotrainer".

Happy :D

Cardiotrainer however for me is one of the most imp app!! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution: red lens battery fix

I’m not sure it’s exactly the same issue, but my Defy+ totally refuses to charge with Quarx CM9 build 20120318 + CM9 kernel from [1].
    Unfortunately I noticed only once the battery was dead empty.
    I couldn’t even get it to boot with the USB charger pluged in, and the only way I could get it to boot again was to charge my battery pack in friend’s Defy.

Then I applied the « Battery fix for red lens » provided here [1] which kind of fixed the problem. Now the battery charges again, but it won’t charge over 80/85%.
    I had done a « Clean battery stats » from the boot menu after installing CM9 before this whole story, so I don’t know if it had any effect.
    If anyone knows better please let me know!

The instability you noticed may be due to the Android debug bug… in CM9 builds. You have to leave Android USB debug (from System params->Debug features, translated from french :) on, otherwise it will lag like hell most of the time and drain the battery due to the init process eating up the CPU.

[1] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432100