Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,540 Members 38,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: USe more WiFi or carrier Data
I use far more carrier data 5 20.83%
I use far more WiFi Data 15 62.50%
I use both equally 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

WiFI vs Carrier

Tip us?

tbong777
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Default WiFI vs Carrier

I buy International phones primarily to use the UL MediaNet pans because Carrier data is ridiculous for what it offers and the little I actually use it. I use about 1.5GB a month. My wife uses maybe 600MB. We refuse to pay over $700 a year for that. So we buy International devices (and they are better than their US variants as well in many ways) Wifi is everywhere

I have found 3MPS Downloads on the $10 UL MediaNet plans are good enough for everything and wifi is everywhere and more than pay for the devices especially when including the sale of ATT iPhone upgrades.

. Even in a couple movie theaters here we can piggyback off a nearby Barnes and Noble or another free wifi store. When LTE can be applied to the home and I ca dump cable, then it may be worth it but I suspect cable will offer better deals then for their slower but fast enough service.

how many use WiFi more than carrier data?
SMART PHONE TEST
ATT since before Cingular
Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100

PhoeniX ROM V17.0
XXUENB2 Android 4.3
Galaxy Tab 3 8
Previous - N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, Note N7000,Tab 2 7 P3100, Nexus 7
Tombo7777 -Ebay

SKyRocKeting727
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Considering that youre posting in the AT&T Galaxy Note section...i'd say less to none. Majority of people here got the Note on contract fron AT&T.

-Once you go NOTE, you'd say 4 inches a Joke
-Once you go NOTE, you'd say 4 inches a Joke

RadDudeTommy
Old
Thanks Meter 27
What is medianet

Kony 2012 is Propaganda.
www.Facebook.com/freeyourmindcampaign

RadDudeTommy
Old
Thanks Meter 27
The reason I use data over wifi is because I have an unlimited plan. I use what I pay for.

Kony 2012 is Propaganda.

sh4dow1
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
50 mbps downloads are awesome well worth $30 a month

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

tbong777
Old
(Last edited by tbong777; 30th March 2012 at 08:16 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDudeTommy View Post
What is medianet

Kony 2012 is Propaganda.
MediaNet is what you would get with a dumb phone. ATT has all the ATT 717 IMEI numbers registered on their network. You pop a SIM card in one and they automatically put you on a Smartphone plan... not so with the N7000. They don't have the millions of IMEI numbers sold throughout the rest of the world. So when you buy an International device ATT cannot identify the phone through the IMEI. I gave them the actual IMEI number and they didn't ask what kind of phone it is. Although I have an old Nokia 6126. They offer the low cost UL data mediaNet plan to those whose phones their system cannot identify. Because of my relatively limited data use I stay well under the radar. I have not read of anyone in the N7000 forum with ATT having an issue.

Some are using their Notes with Straight Talk at $50 UL everything and GoPhone with $50 UL everything. But one has to use the Cingular.wap APN and the data speeds are slower. but plenty fast enough to stream video.

It doesn't cost anymore because one can sell their upgrades. That and the savings more than pay for the phones. Plus since there are many more N7000s there are a lot of developers and choices and the device has more features and no ATT bloat.
SMART PHONE TEST

PhoeniX ROM V17.0
XXUENB2 Android 4.3
Galaxy Tab 3 8
Previous - N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, Note N7000,Tab 2 7 P3100, Nexus 7
Tombo7777 -Ebay

tbong777
Old
(Last edited by tbong777; 30th March 2012 at 08:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4dow1 View Post
50 mbps downloads are awesome well worth $30 a month

I don;t see the advantage on a phone for those speeds. Its not like downloads are gigabyte programs. The most impressive use for high speed downloads are for SW downloading. Then one is bottle necked by the web site server speed. Web pages load imperceptibly fast even at 16 MBPS.

Video runs at what its going to run at and 3MPS is fast enough to steam video.A better video experience is one of the big selling points for a 50Mbps service, but there are no guarantees you’ll get that experience. YouTube still buffers their service,

If tethering or using as a hot spot I could see where it would help. but with ATT's limitations on data it seems rather useless to get those speeds for 4 GB of data then get throttled back. We won't see those speeds her for a couple years. by the ATT will be charging more for less data as people become addicted to the data portion. Although iPhone/iPad users are using 60% of all data at the moment. I expect the cost for home service at those speeds will be $100 a month. We watch netflix movies with 6-8MBPS DL on the home wifi and it looks great
SMART PHONE TEST

PhoeniX ROM V17.0
XXUENB2 Android 4.3
Galaxy Tab 3 8
Tombo7777 -Ebay

jimmer411
Old
Thanks Meter 72
700$ a year for me and my wife is nothing. Now if I could drop the talk plan and just have data and sms I would be happy. Between me and my wife we use less than 60 mins per month.

Galaxy S4
Galaxy Note 1
Atrix 4G
HTC Fuze

a3plew
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Using ten gigs plus a month. Hehe they throttle you at 5 gigs but I have three phones I switch between. When you update the imei they have to update the unlimited data plan. Thus making you unthrottled. I constant stream video and download roms on lte. The fact that I also have a hdmi adapter I plug it in to the TV at work our friends house and stream HBO go, Netflix, and Amazon prime videos. If I tethered I would easily triple my data. Oh also I stream google music everyday and have access to my whole music library on the go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

a3plew
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Some of these ROM s are just under 500MB. also installing a game like gta3 will use almost 500 mb to download game files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA