Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,564 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TF101 _STILL_ rebooting after downgrading to honeycomb!

Tip us?
 
gee one
Old
#11  
gee one's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 567
Posts: 1,562
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: linux command line
No, most roms don't touch the bootloader. The stock roms and the OTAs will flash it. Although I'm not sure how much it could do once the rom was booted. I've noticed a few bad flashes lately, but they are usually resovled by flashing again with a full charge, overnight, plugged into the wall, not the USB port. Give that a try first.
HTC Dream
HTC Vision
ASUS Transformer

If you found this post helpful, please consider a donation to charity:
World Vision
International Red Cross
Wikipedia
International Justice Mission
or pick your own
 
axepted
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 371
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee one View Post
In the stock firmware on the ASUS site or in the OTA updates, there will be a blob file. The bootloader can be extracted from there with the blob tools (search in the dev section).

I'd make a flashable version, but I suspect that you have a WW TF.
The one I'm going to downgrade is a US version... So if that helps, make a flashable version :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA
Phone: LG Optimus 4x HD - Rooted and Unlocked
ROM: SlimBean - Build 2.1 - 4.3.1

Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime (BRICKED/DEAD)
ROM: Stock JB
 
jtrosky
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 963
Posts: 3,420
Join Date: May 2008
If there is anyway someone could package the old Honeycomb bootloader, i'd be willing to try it! I have been unable to find a way to get back to stock Honeycomb (in order to re-write the bootloader). I'm assuming that I'd need an NVFLASH version of stock honeycomb firmware to get there from here?

thanks for any help offered!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
 
wilowolf666
Old
#14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: May 2010
Two days ago I disabled the apps "Android keyboard" and "polaris" . Since I use Swype on the tablet and quick office, figured it couldn't hurt to try. Usually I'd been waking up to a frozen tablet or stuck on reboot screen. Two days now no freezes. Not sure if it has rebooted while asleep, but I use it every night for several hours, and since I did that I've had no problems. Maybe just lucky two days. Someone may want to investigate that further. Wifi is set to turn off when screen does. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium
 
gee one
Old
#15  
gee one's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 567
Posts: 1,562
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: linux command line
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
If there is anyway someone could package the old Honeycomb bootloader, i'd be willing to try it! I have been unable to find a way to get back to stock Honeycomb (in order to re-write the bootloader). I'm assuming that I'd need an NVFLASH version of stock honeycomb firmware to get there from here?

thanks for any help offered!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
What version tf do you have? US WW etc? Is your serial number nvflash compatible?

The other problem will be the system updates, but I think you can just delete dmclient?

sent from my transformer
HTC Dream
HTC Vision
ASUS Transformer

If you found this post helpful, please consider a donation to charity:
World Vision
International Red Cross
Wikipedia
International Justice Mission
or pick your own
 
neffarious
Old
#16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 122
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Longwood
i have a us transformer with the exact same problems. I went from Revolver HC to revolver ICS back to Revolver HC and the ICS reboot issue is persisting. I thought it was just me, glad to see (for my sanity's sake, not your torture) that it's not just me. I know on my old Captivate, if you used a GB bootloader with certain Froyo ROMs there was bad effects. It is possible it plays into it somehow. I never flashed an official ICS update, but since the customs are based off of ICS official it is possible something was changed. I have tried different Kernels, different Daemon settings etc, and the longest i could go was 2 days with no reboot. Mine does the same thing tho - sometimes it reboots. other times it just hangs on the ASUS screen until it kills the battery. It doesn't do it while plugged in. I have super wiped, re-flashed, restored old nandroid backs ups, you name it i have tried. Any help here is much appreciated as i have started using my kindle Fire as my primary tablet because i am becoming so frustrated with the TF. It has rebooted once while in use while playing a game. The rest is while off. Once li clicked the screen off to put it down to get a drink and it rebooted. Its quite maddening at this point,
 
jtrosky
Old
#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 963
Posts: 3,420
Join Date: May 2008
I was eventually able to downgrade my bootloader to the version that came with 8.6.5.6 (its the version I had laying around). So, I am now running the 8.6.5.6 bootloader with Revolver ICS - we'll see what happens.

First night was encouraging - over 5 hours of deep sleep last night an no issues... I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

It just makes NO sense how the reboot problem is now present even on Honeycomb, where is wasn't as issue beofore!

I now wondering if ICS either updated some firmware on some device in the TF (wifi chip, bluetooth chip, etc) or that the bootloader might be the difference....

So I now have a Honeycomb bootloader (verify bootloader version by looking at text on sceen after holding vol down + power) and ICS OS. Time will tell....

Can anyone else explain how the reboot problem could cause the issues on honeycomb as well???

Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
 
axepted
Old
#18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 371
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
I was eventually able to downgrade my bootloader to the version that came with 8.6.5.6 (its the version I had laying around). So, I am now running the 8.6.5.6 bootloader with Revolver ICS - we'll see what happens.

First night was encouraging - over 5 hours of deep sleep last night an no issues... I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

It just makes NO sense how the reboot problem is now present even on Honeycomb, where is wasn't as issue beofore!

I now wondering if ICS either updated some firmware on some device in the TF (wifi chip, bluetooth chip, etc) or that the bootloader might be the difference....

So I now have a Honeycomb bootloader (verify bootloader version by looking at text on sceen after holding vol down + power) and ICS OS. Time will tell....

Can anyone else explain how the reboot problem could cause the issues on honeycomb as well???

Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Give us an update on this later
Phone: LG Optimus 4x HD - Rooted and Unlocked
ROM: SlimBean - Build 2.1 - 4.3.1

Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime (BRICKED/DEAD)
ROM: Stock JB
 
jtrosky
Old
#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 963
Posts: 3,420
Join Date: May 2008
FYI - Still going strong with ICS (Revolver) running old Honeycomb bootloader (8.6.5.6).... I don't know, but I have a good feeling about this (of course, I've had that "good feeling" about 20 times now without any success)!

I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
 
axepted
Old
#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 371
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
FYI - Still going strong with ICS (Revolver) running old Honeycomb bootloader (8.6.5.6).... I don't know, but I have a good feeling about this (of course, I've had that "good feeling" about 20 times now without any success)!

I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Nice! How long have you been running it now?

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA
Phone: LG Optimus 4x HD - Rooted and Unlocked
ROM: SlimBean - Build 2.1 - 4.3.1

Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime (BRICKED/DEAD)
ROM: Stock JB

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes