Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,868 Members 42,558 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dismantling guide for HTC Titan (with pics)

Tip us?

egzthunder1
Old
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA - OP
Thanks Meter 4,846
Location: At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Default Dismantling guide for HTC Titan (with pics)

Well, due to an unfortunate incident between my Titan and a washing machine, I decided to take it apart to try and clean it (and to remove a constantly on vibrating motor). Since there is no guide for this device anywhere (quick google search yielded nothing), I decided to create one myself. So, if you are ready to roll, lets take this sucker apart...

First, get the right tools. A T6 (Torx) screw driver and a good, clean pair of tweezers. (also try to get a heat gun and a case opening tool to separate the screen from the plastic frame - not pictured here)

Then, proceed to remove the back and the battery

You will see 7 screws at this point, and the eighth will be covered by a small white sticker with the word "void" on it. Mine doesn't show it for obvious reasons . Remove these screws using the screw driver that you got before.

Now, you will need to release 3 plastic latches (one on the top and two on the sides). Be very careful as they are rather easy to break.

Once you are done, you should be able to separate the inner casing from the phone/screen/motherboard assembly.

In here, you will see the vibrating motor and its connection to the motherboard. To remove it, simply take out the connector. However, you must be careful as the cables for the connector are thin and fragile. A pair of tweezers is recommended for this step, but make sure that you pull the plastic connector and not the cables themselves.

This picture also revealed anaother T6 screw (remove it) as well as one of the water damage indicators (HTC added two of these suckers and hid them well).

If you look at the bottom of the device, you will see the second water indicator as well as another T6 screw (remove it as well).

Now, this pic is not part of the guide itself but based on the discoveries on the Sensation and EVo 3D about the download mode connectors, I believe that these two may be the same, probably to put the device in service/download mode... would be interesting to try this out sometime (bootloader re-write/downgrade possible?)

Ok, back to the guide... Now, you will see that the cables connecting both ends of the motherboard are safely held by plastic holders/latches. On top of that, you will also see latches for the top part of the mother board (one on each side). Carefully, free the connecting cables are the motherboard from these latches. You could use a part of tweezers for the cables

Now comes one of the more delicate parts of the process. You will need to disconnect the two ribbon data cables from the motherboard connectors. These can easily break, and they both control touch ON THE ENTIRE FACE OF THE DEVICE, so extreme care must be used here. These can and will break if you are not careful enough or if you pull them too hard.

And this is where I messed up . There are two very small ribbon cables that connect the buttons to the motherboard. The one on the side is the one for the volume rockers and the top one is the one for the power button. Thinking that it was just a piece of tape (as it is covered in black tape) I pulled it out and broke it. DO NOT DO THAT!!! Same goes for the top one.

The screen itself is what must be removed first before attempting to separate the motherboard from the plastic shell. The connectors for the physical buttons will simply not allow you to do this easily. Moreover, the entire thing is actually glued in place (buttons and screen), so you will need a heat gun and a case opening tool to separate the screen from the housing itself, avoiding damage to the device (like I did)

Well, there you have it folks. Hopefully insight of the innards of this device can yield a bit more to develop on this great and rather sturdy device. Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_101230.jpg
Views:	12862
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	970338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_101630.jpg
Views:	12780
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	970340   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102314.jpg
Views:	12749
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	970341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102335.jpg
Views:	12850
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	970343   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102346.jpg
Views:	12886
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	970345  

Name:	20120328_102502.jpg
Views:	13013
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	970346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102522.jpg
Views:	12894
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	970347   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102532.jpg
Views:	12880
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	970348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102622.jpg
Views:	12854
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	970349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_102711.jpg
Views:	12764
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	970350  

Name:	20120328_102729.jpg
Views:	12776
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	970351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_103147.jpg
Views:	12730
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	970352   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_103157.jpg
Views:	12718
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	970353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_103932.jpg
Views:	12754
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	970354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_103949.jpg
Views:	12724
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	970355  

Name:	20120327_124605.jpg
Views:	12740
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	970356   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120328_101507.jpg
Views:	13027
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	970390  

"As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil for I am the God of Death... and this is my valley"

I have ORD

Want to see my devices? Click Below

HTC Blue Angel
ROM: WM 6.5.3 Build 23698 by d-two
Radio: 1.15

HTC Vogue (Verizon Touch)
ROM: Froyo Android (NAND) by incubus26j
Radio: 3.42.50

HTC EVO 3D
ROM: YAS4 v9 by howpathetic (ICS 4.0.4)
PRI: 1.43_003
Radio: 1.09.00.0706
HBOOT: Eng HBOOT (S-OFF)

Sony Xperia T LT30p
ROM: Stock, 91.A.0.148 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Sony Xperia Z Ultra - GPE
ROM: Stock, Unrooted (KitKat 4.4.2)

Huawei Premia 4G
ROM: Stock, Rooted (ICS 4.0.4)

HTC One (M8)
ROM: Stock, unrooted (1.57.531.7)
Radio: 1.16.21331931
HBOOT: Locked (S-ON)

Learn how to flash: CDMA Rapahel, Vogue
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
aghnokneemoose Old
Thanks Meter 0
That's awesome that you posted this today! I was just thinking of taking mine apart to see about replacing the sd card with a 32gb sd card.

Looking over your pics though, I don't see where the SD card is! Do you recall seeing it? I did this procedure in my HTC HD7 and it worked without a problem.

On a side note, Why is the Titan out of the box only 12.89 gb? I've removed everything I can and still only get 12.89 gb to play with. Simply not enough!

Thanks and let me know the whereabouts of the sd card reader location if at all possible!

egzthunder1
Old
Thanks Meter 4,846
Location: At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcassetty@comcast.net
That's awesome that you posted this today! I was just thinking of taking mine apart to see about replacing the sd card with a 32gb sd card.

Looking over your pics though, I don't see where the SD card is! Do you recall seeing it? I did this procedure in my HTC HD7 and it worked without a problem.

On a side note, Why is the Titan out of the box only 12.89 gb? I've removed everything I can and still only get 12.89 gb to play with. Simply not enough!

Thanks and let me know the whereabouts of the sd card reader location if at all possible!
It doesn't have one. They changed the model to make it onboard as opposed to microSD.

As far as memory, remember that you will have some memory dedicated to the ROM itself that cannot be touched as well as possibly having a hidden ext folder like wm roms used to have (which housed the cabs placed by carriers)... However, I do think that it is likely all going for ROM and stock apps

"As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil for I am the God of Death... and this is my valley"

I have ORD

HTC Blue Angel

HTC EVO 3D

Sony Xperia T LT30p

Huawei Premia 4G

HTC One (M8)

aghnokneemoose Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well that really sucks. I did read that they are going to start putting the SD card back in as extra storage space.

Any way, thanks for the pics! Did you get your phone working again?

inteller
Old
(Last edited by inteller; 22nd November 2013 at 12:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
deleted

egzthunder1
Old
Thanks Meter 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller
My water damage indicator is near the USB plug, which I notice are not present on this model. Is this an international model?
Production model, unbranded. I should indicate this in the guide. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have ORD

HTC Blue Angel

HTC EVO 3D

Sony Xperia T LT30p

Huawei Premia 4G

HTC One (M8)

dpetro
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Help to upgrade from 16 to 32 gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1 View Post
Well, due to an unfortunate incident between my Titan and a washing machine, I decided to take it apart to try and clean it (and to remove a constantly on vibrating motor). Since there is no guide for this device anywhere (quick google search yielded nothing), I decided to create one myself. So, if you are ready to roll, lets take this sucker apart...

First, get the right tools. A T6 (Torx) screw driver and a good, clean pair of tweezers. (also try to get a heat gun and a case opening tool to separate the screen from the plastic frame - not pictured here)

Then, proceed to remove the back and the battery

You will see 7 screws at this point, and the eighth will be covered by a small white sticker with the word "void" on it. Mine doesn't show it for obvious reasons . Remove these screws using the screw driver that you got before.

Now, you will need to release 3 plastic latches (one on the top and two on the sides). Be very careful as they are rather easy to break.

Once you are done, you should be able to separate the inner casing from the phone/screen/motherboard assembly.

In here, you will see the vibrating motor and its connection to the motherboard. To remove it, simply take out the connector. However, you must be careful as the cables for the connector are thin and fragile. A pair of tweezers is recommended for this step, but make sure that you pull the plastic connector and not the cables themselves.

This picture also revealed anaother T6 screw (remove it) as well as one of the water damage indicators (HTC added two of these suckers and hid them well).

If you look at the bottom of the device, you will see the second water indicator as well as another T6 screw (remove it as well).

Now, this pic is not part of the guide itself but based on the discoveries on the Sensation and EVo 3D about the download mode connectors, I believe that these two may be the same, probably to put the device in service/download mode... would be interesting to try this out sometime (bootloader re-write/downgrade possible?)

Ok, back to the guide... Now, you will see that the cables connecting both ends of the motherboard are safely held by plastic holders/latches. On top of that, you will also see latches for the top part of the mother board (one on each side). Carefully, free the connecting cables are the motherboard from these latches. You could use a part of tweezers for the cables

Now comes one of the more delicate parts of the process. You will need to disconnect the two ribbon data cables from the motherboard connectors. These can easily break, and they both control touch ON THE ENTIRE FACE OF THE DEVICE, so extreme care must be used here. These can and will break if you are not careful enough or if you pull them too hard.

And this is where I messed up . There are two very small ribbon cables that connect the buttons to the motherboard. The one on the side is the one for the volume rockers and the top one is the one for the power button. Thinking that it was just a piece of tape (as it is covered in black tape) I pulled it out and broke it. DO NOT DO THAT!!! Same goes for the top one.

The screen itself is what must be removed first before attempting to separate the motherboard from the plastic shell. The connectors for the physical buttons will simply not allow you to do this easily. Moreover, the entire thing is actually glued in place (buttons and screen), so you will need a heat gun and a case opening tool to separate the screen from the housing itself, avoiding damage to the device (like I did)

Well, there you have it folks. Hopefully insight of the innards of this device can yield a bit more to develop on this great and rather sturdy device. Thanks for reading.
---------------

DEAREST JUST
HELP TO UPGRADE FROM 16 TO 32 GB
HELP TO UPGRADE ,IF POSSIBLE , TO 4G LIKE TITAN II no camera....!
MANY THANKS

Diepvriezer
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetro View Post
---------------

DEAREST JUST
HELP TO UPGRADE FROM 16 TO 32 GB
HELP TO UPGRADE ,IF POSSIBLE , TO 4G LIKE TITAN II no camera....!
MANY THANKS
you can not upgrade to 32 GB