Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Is it just me, or...

OP sblees

29th March 2012, 02:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 11

143 posts
More
It seems like every custom ROM (for what I can remember) gets really slow and laggy after using it for an extended amount of time. I've had my captivate for nearly 2 years and have flashed many roms and this phenomenon seems to occur on all of them I have used for more than a month or so.

I reboot my phone at least once a day, and install a minimum amount of apps.

So, is it just me?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
29th March 2012, 03:03 AM   |  #2  
Flag Dallas, Texas
Thanks Meter: 1,417

3,584 posts
Donate to Me
More
Could be your NAND or the partition on the SD for the ROM to be installed getting bad... It ins't on my phone though
29th March 2012, 04:24 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV

143 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-eock

Could be your NAND or the partition on the SD for the ROM to be installed getting bad... It ins't on my phone though

The only thing is if I flash a fresh ROM my phone runs great for awhile.

29th March 2012, 04:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV

143 posts
More
In addition, I've noticed this phenomenon long ago and with a different phone (I got a couple replacements for other reasons in the past)

29th March 2012, 07:16 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

51 posts
Same here, all the roms I've installed were smooth at first and start slowing down with time.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA
29th March 2012, 08:50 AM   |  #6  
dallaS
Thanks Meter: 21

531 posts
More
+3 here ... and now im getting application not found on apps even after a flash .. master clear time ?
or?
29th March 2012, 04:09 PM   |  #7  
Flag Jersey City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 188

1,026 posts
More
I flashed many GB roms for long time...without doing clean flash (flashing GB stock)...and my phone started lagging like **** on every GB rom out there....this is I am talking about before ICS came out...

then I completely wiped my phone...as much as it allows...then started again by flashing GB bootloader....super smooth again...

But with ICS i am not seeing that issue yet...
31st March 2012, 12:02 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV

143 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by viny2cool

I flashed many GB roms for long time...without doing clean flash (flashing GB stock)...and my phone started lagging like **** on every GB rom out there....this is I am talking about before ICS came out...

then I completely wiped my phone...as much as it allows...then started again by flashing GB bootloader....super smooth again...

But with ICS i am not seeing that issue yet...

I didn't notice any lag for several weeks or so on ics, but it seems to start lagging eventually. I wonder if it could be that log files start to accumulate over time or something like that and slows down the phone.

31st March 2012, 09:22 AM   |  #9  
Flag ???
Thanks Meter: 248

552 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblees

I didn't notice any lag for several weeks or so on ics, but it seems to start lagging eventually. I wonder if it could be that log files start to accumulate over time or something like that and slows down the phone.

possible, but roughly how many user apps do you have/keep?

In some ROMs in the past there have been memory leaks that would cause this behavior. More often it is a poorly written app that is leaking memory but is not getting killed.
So if it's been a fairly consistent issue take a look at your most commonly used apps. If it's been a flat (across multiple ROMs) issue then consider any long standing apps.

If it helps it may even be a Linux kernel issue, cuz on my PC that runs ubuntu I see a memory leak. Tho with what is effectively 6 GB of RAM I don't run into a slow down issue for weeks.

leaked from my ICS- FUSED SGS I897 contaminating you via XDA app.
31st March 2012, 06:14 PM   |  #10  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 2,797

4,703 posts
Donate to Me
More
ics will lag if you are using glitch kernel WITHOUT having the app NStools.

i found this out the hard way. installed NStools (as recomended by glitch page) and my lag went away.

as the day went on, and i used my phone the memory would fill up and not clear as it should, i could even open an app 8 hours after last using the app and it would still be on the same page/info i left it on. the app never gets killed.

sixstringsgs does not agree that NStools affects it in such a way but personal experience says otherwise. i was ready to go back to gingerbread. now i would never consider it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread