XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it just me, or...

Tip us?

sblees
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Is it just me, or...

It seems like every custom ROM (for what I can remember) gets really slow and laggy after using it for an extended amount of time. I've had my captivate for nearly 2 years and have flashed many roms and this phenomenon seems to occur on all of them I have used for more than a month or so.

I reboot my phone at least once a day, and install a minimum amount of apps.

So, is it just me?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

b-eock
Old
Thanks Meter 1417

DONATE TO ME
Could be your NAND or the partition on the SD for the ROM to be installed getting bad... It ins't on my phone though

If you don't read the forum, why should the forum read you?

PHONE: Samsung GT-I9300 and Samsung Captivate Build #1012

MobileTechVideos USB Port repair!
Adam Outler for UB Mod
Conexxion2005(Josh) from MTV

sblees
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-eock View Post
Could be your NAND or the partition on the SD for the ROM to be installed getting bad... It ins't on my phone though
The only thing is if I flash a fresh ROM my phone runs great for awhile.

sblees
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
In addition, I've noticed this phenomenon long ago and with a different phone (I got a couple replacements for other reasons in the past)

faroid
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Same here, all the roms I've installed were smooth at first and start slowing down with time.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

xhozt
Old
Thanks Meter 20
+3 here ... and now im getting application not found on apps even after a flash .. master clear time ?
or?

samsung GS3 stock JB

Former toys
samsung captivate
HTC PURE
Stock ROM 6.5
lg-incite v10h exchanged
blackjack1 retired but still in use .

viny2cool
Old
Thanks Meter 179
I flashed many GB roms for long time...without doing clean flash (flashing GB stock)...and my phone started lagging like **** on every GB rom out there....this is I am talking about before ICS came out...

then I completely wiped my phone...as much as it allows...then started again by flashing GB bootloader....super smooth again...

But with ICS i am not seeing that issue yet...
Nexus 5
ATT Samsung Galaxy S III (Backup phone)
HP Touchpad: CM10.1

sblees
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by viny2cool View Post
I flashed many GB roms for long time...without doing clean flash (flashing GB stock)...and my phone started lagging like **** on every GB rom out there....this is I am talking about before ICS came out...

then I completely wiped my phone...as much as it allows...then started again by flashing GB bootloader....super smooth again...

But with ICS i am not seeing that issue yet...
I didn't notice any lag for several weeks or so on ics, but it seems to start lagging eventually. I wonder if it could be that log files start to accumulate over time or something like that and slows down the phone.

DaNaRkI
Old
Thanks Meter 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblees View Post
I didn't notice any lag for several weeks or so on ics, but it seems to start lagging eventually. I wonder if it could be that log files start to accumulate over time or something like that and slows down the phone.

possible, but roughly how many user apps do you have/keep?

In some ROMs in the past there have been memory leaks that would cause this behavior. More often it is a poorly written app that is leaking memory but is not getting killed.
So if it's been a fairly consistent issue take a look at your most commonly used apps. If it's been a flat (across multiple ROMs) issue then consider any long standing apps.

If it helps it may even be a Linux kernel issue, cuz on my PC that runs ubuntu I see a memory leak. Tho with what is effectively 6 GB of RAM I don't run into a slow down issue for weeks.

leaked from my ICS- FUSED SGS I897 contaminating you via XDA app.
SGS I897 info: ROM-Is Here Kernel-(custom The Collective built) Modem-same...

I'm not always logged on, just to lazy to log off

xda is not your personal mechanic. You broke it! You fix it! Tho we will be glad to offer advice

TRusselo
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2720

DONATE TO ME
ics will lag if you are using glitch kernel WITHOUT having the app NStools.

i found this out the hard way. installed NStools (as recomended by glitch page) and my lag went away.

as the day went on, and i used my phone the memory would fill up and not clear as it should, i could even open an app 8 hours after last using the app and it would still be on the same page/info i left it on. the app never gets killed.

sixstringsgs does not agree that NStools affects it in such a way but personal experience says otherwise. i was ready to go back to gingerbread. now i would never consider it.