Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more
Post Reply

[Q] Help with rooting. Im stuck=(

OP EchoM3TH

1st April 2012, 05:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Morgantown
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Ok I wasnt paying attention when the guy at best buy was messing with my tablet I bought today and I think it updated to ics 4.1 or whatever its on now. But I have managed to unlock my tablet but I cant seem to root it for some reason. Is their anyway to go back to the factor honeycomb or am I F'ed?
1st April 2012, 05:28 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 327
 
577 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoM3TH

Ok I wasnt paying attention when the guy at best buy was messing with my tablet I bought today and I think it updated to ics 4.1 or whatever its on now. But I have managed to unlock my tablet but I cant seem to root it for some reason. Is their anyway to go back to the factor honeycomb or am I F'ed?

If you have unlocked the bootloader just boot into CWM make a nandroid backup then flash a custom rom and you should be rooted with a custom rom. If you're looking for a more custom feel. Try AOKP (All Open Kang Project) they have a extension in settings app thats called rom control and lets you change a lot of things. Then maybe if you're tired of the ICS blue scheme try out my theme for AOKP =) link is in my sig.

Theres really no reason to stay stock since you've already unlocked the bootloader so yeah. But if you're looking for a stock asus rom, but with some optimizations your next best bet would be Virtuous and WSG Roms.
Last edited by reNeglect; 1st April 2012 at 05:30 AM.
1st April 2012, 05:51 AM   |  #3  
robertg9's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sterling, VA.
Thanks Meter: 26
 
217 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
I don't know the relationship between unlocking and rooting....but if you're on a stock ROM, it can't be rooted yet....the 'root tool" hasn't been developed yet.....but I don't know how unlocking affects the process
1st April 2012, 05:51 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Morgantown
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
it gives me a little dead android.
1st April 2012, 06:05 AM   |  #5  
robertg9's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sterling, VA.
Thanks Meter: 26
 
217 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoM3TH

it gives me a little dea d android.

If you unlocked BEFORE it was updated, then you're right....read the threads on recovering from that situation.

I guess my question is, are you sure it's unlocked (the answer is probably YES), but I had a rooted V15, with some modded files....and got the dead guy.....had to update to v21 via the SD card.

Good luck
1st April 2012, 06:07 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 327
 
577 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoM3TH

it gives me a little dead android.

Did you or did you not unlock your prime using the asus unlock tool app? If you did after you have unlocked your prime.
1. Go to market and download rom manager
2. Install CWM via rom manager.
3. Download a Custom Rom and transfer it to your tablet.
4. Boot into CWM Via Make sure its powered off, hold power and volume down till you see some white fine printed words on your upper left hand side. Then hit the Volume Up.
5. Once your into CWM using your Volume buttons (Power button to select) to navigate to Backup/restore & create your first nandroid backup.
6. Install the custom rom you have downloaded.
7.Boot it up.
8.Profit????
1st April 2012, 06:37 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Morgantown
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
My device is unlocked i went through the vipers way too root/unlock device, it says that it rooted it but I went to see if superuser was on my tablet it wasnt. so i downloaded via market place and went to update the binary and its say busybox not found then says ok. checking md5sum okay then install path fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	976190  
Last edited by EchoM3TH; 1st April 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Took pic to help
1st April 2012, 07:06 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 327
 
577 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoM3TH

My device is unlocked i went through the vipers way too root/unlock device, it says that it rooted it but I went to see if superuser was on my tablet it wasnt. so i downloaded via market place and went to update the binary and its say busybox not found then says ok. checking md5sum okay then install path fail.

Again & again i must stress the fact that you should search and do some reading. Vipers Tool does not work with .21 so can you now boot into your tablet.

Root = allowing you to have system file access

Unlock = allowing you to install a custom recovery, thus letting you install custom roms.

Unlocking voids your warranty, while root does not. If you don't mind the voided warranty boot into your tablet and open the app drawer and look for the unlocking tool. Then run it and you should be unlocked. Then follow my previous post.
1st April 2012, 05:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Morgantown
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reNeglect

Again & again i must stress the fact that you should search and do some reading. Vipers Tool does not work with .21 so can you now boot into your tablet.

Root = allowing you to have system file access

Unlock = allowing you to install a custom recovery, thus letting you install custom roms.

Unlocking voids your warranty, while root does not. If you don't mind the voided warranty boot into your tablet and open the app drawer and look for the unlocking tool. Then run it and you should be unlocked. Then follow my previous post.

That still tells me its not rooted. can I downgrade to a older version like.20 or something. I did it once with my Evo4g.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes