[FAQ] >> RBAP for miniCM9 by nAa, nAa's kernel X10mini/X8/x10miniPRO .:12/07/2012:.

Search This thread

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
andrux-and-me.blogspot.com
Moto G
Moto E
[FAQ] >> RBAP for miniCM9 by nAa, nAa's kernel X10mini/X8/x10miniPRO .:12/07/2012:.

Read Before Asking Please

FAQ for MiniCM9, nAa kernel and any other custom rom maybe
reading may answer to lots of your questions !
for X10mini, X8 & x10miniPRO

MiniCM9_logo_600x424.png

• i decided to create a new thread dedicated to Q&A about miniCM9 ;)
  • this thread is the place of your questions, answers, tips about miniCM9 and nAa ics kernel
  • so please, as usual, read FAQ, use search option or anything else before asking commonly answered questions
  • the FAQ will be incremented when needed
  • the Q&A is written as Q are asked

Requirements:

Instructions:
  • Download the MiniCM9-xxx.zip from the release link that follows
  • Backup your /data contents: contacts, apps, sms, etc. or backup via recovery
  • Move the MiniCM9-xxx.zip to the root folder of your sdcard. Download the suggested Google Apps for CM9 from here (check http://goo-inside.me/gapps/ if you want to experiment with other gapps versions)
  • Make sure you are using the nAa-ics kernel
  • Enter CWM and:
    - Select 'backup and restore -> Backup'
    - Select 'wipe data/factory reset' (MUST DO)
    - Flash the MiniCM9-xxx.zip. To do this, Select 'install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard' and select the MiniCM9-xxx.zip
    - Flash gapps in the same way
  • Reboot (first boot will take ~2 mins)
  • Once your device has booted, you can use the nAa notification to register for upcoming updates. This way you can get update notifications on new versions of MiniCM9 and the nAa-ics kernel!

Please make sure you followed the above steps before reporting any issues, especially 'wipe data/factory reset'

something else that is useful to read before asking :

Here we (nearly all? XDA members, regardless of being devs or only users [like me], me at least ) don't care about your good/bad English ;) the important is trying to be understood and to understand the content of the threads :)

only ask things you can't find, or you don't understand, please if you don't understand something in any process tell us exactly where is your problem : it will optimize the answer ;)

sometime rephrasing things can make you understand better, feel free to help us for making the most understandable sentence for anybody :)

i'm always trying to use a proper English (not so easy for a non native English ^^)
but if there's something misunderstood because of my English your are welcome to correct me :)

BUT if you don't make the effort to read, I won't make the effort to answer :p (ok, you can't read everything... but read the minimum ;) )

that's it :)

miniCM website is now available (http://minicm.dyndns.org/site/Chat/ for chatroom)
clic on the red text above ;)

register, and then enjoy :)

DO
Reboot - Recovery

BUG
the screen stuck in rebooting dialog. It should just rebooting

ACTION
press home key (or any key maybe) to make it reboot

we seek for you, TESTERS, go there for helping : [DEV] miniCM9 debug only thread (shakira, robyn and mimmi)

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
2nd part of FAQ

FAQ :

for quick search, use ctrl+f and enter keyword, you should find an answer to your question :)

ok, let's start with some fun :

how to understand FAQ :

0/ question(which build(s) is(are) concerned with q/
answer to the question
old, wrong or obsolete answer
additionnal comments if needed

1/ is miniCM9 an april 1ST troll???????(any version)
ok, we are on April the 1stn but NO, it is not a troll, just some teasing, and then you'll be able to test it by yourself (on X8 only atm, you'll need to wait a little more for mini and pro)
3/ cypress digitizer doesn't work ??(for miniCM9-3.0.0/nAa-ics01 on X8)
use the dedicated fix :

3. and only keep the one you want to flash in the firmware folder
  4. then, start flastool and process flashing operations

1. the red part are nearly unresponsive :
    Screenshot_2012-04-10-20-50-16.png

but the buttons are still perfectly usable, just need to press more to the center
  2. when typing more than 2 times on a word : the app FC, to restart it just wait 2 seconds after pressing "ok"
  3. same issue when selecting words, it can lead to FC

in fact you'll quickly see by yourself how to live with this, without much problem :)
==> supposed reason : conflict between input method selecting way and ICS way, the two want to select, and ICS wins the battle :p
==> the well known keyboard panel freeze that existed in miniCM7 no more exists in miniCM9 !

dr.norton said:
in brief, if your regional settings (on windows) don't correct (or let's say english localisation) you can't see the inner files of the main ftf file like kernel.sin & loader.sin in the flashtool, consequently you can't flash the ftf.
if someone can't see the *.sin files of a *.ftf file, he should change his regional settings of his system. that's all :)

Settings --> display--> brightness
-Enable automatic brightness
-Enable ultra brightness

Settings --> display --> automatic blacklight
-Enable Use custom level
-Enable Allow light decrease
-Screen dim levels...: follow this settings:
Screenshot_2012-05-03-15-31-03_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Don't forget to Save & apply

If you don't see the image go HERE

• disable google search bar : settings > trebuchet > home screen > disable search bar
  • change grid size : settings > trebuchet > home screen > grid size
  • use Apex launcher

I tried a few things and managed to make the lights work this way:

1 - Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight .
LIGHT SENSOR FILTER mark ''Enable''
LIGHT LEVELS mark ''Use custom''
mark ''Allow light decrease'',

2 - Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight > Decrease hysteresis
Mark ''0%''

3 - Settings > Display > Brightness
Mark ''Automatic brighness''

OK, The keyboard lights should work !

My configuration, Screenshots :

A: Using swap essentially increases the amount of memory available for your Android system and applications. What it does, is that it allows you to have more open apps at a given time without the need to kill older apps or HOME (causing redraws when you hit HOME). In essence, it improves the multitasking experience for low RAM phones.
Swap is kept on the sdcard which is by no means as fast as the RAM memory of your phone. So it does NOT improve performance scores.

Q: What is the best sdcard for swap? What size should I use?
A: The best sdcard is the one with the higher write speed. Usually you need at least a class 6 sdcard to see some improvement. This does not mean that swap won't work on slower sdcards, however things will get laggy when stuff are swapped in or out.
The size to use really depends on your usage. For normal usage, 64MB should be enough for having 3-4 apps open at any time. If you need to run heavy apps, consider 128MB or 256MB. At any case you can experiment and find whichever option works best for you.

Q: So, what do I need to do to make swap work?
A: Enabling Swap under MiniCM9 is a piece of cake: Settings -> Performance -> Memory Management -> Swap Settings
There you can select the size, enable or disable, or check the current swap info.
You do NOT need a swap partition. You do NOT need swapper or any other thirdparty apps/scripts. All can be done via the Settings menu.
At boot, if a swapfile is found it's used. At shutdown/usb mass storage, if swap is enabled, it's cleanly disabled so that the sdcard can be unmounted as it should.

Q: Sounds complicated... Do I need to activate swap?
A: No. MiniCM9 will work perfectly with or without swap as it does e.g. with or without overclocking. Swap is yet another cool performance-related feature :)

another explanation, in other words : here thanks to XepA

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
usefull links and performance tricks

some links for you :

flashtool (use 0.2.9.1)
Flastool last version
SEUS found in MIN thread by dr.norton
unlock how to
unlock how to 2
what is the use of priority for settings in setcpu?
summary for x10mini/pro
debrick your mini
last chance debrick
miniCM wallpaper by D_d
SD formatter
flashplayer for X10 mini (use the download link for armv6) use it at you OWN risk.
[how to] change X10mini battery
Stock kernel for X10 mini ! (not pro)
some explanation about CPU governors
Mini CM9 Stuff [Walls,Themes,Tips, Icons]
denoobing, reference and help for x10miniPRO (mimmi) thx to static28

performance tricks :

Hi folks!

MiniCM9 along with the nAa-ics kernel, includes some interesting performance improvement points:
  • System -> Performance -> Processor -> CPU governor and frequency --> SmartassV2 is suggested. Overclocking can be set as higher as your device can take
  • System -> Performance -> Processor -> Undervolting --> Enable this to get better battery life
  • System -> Performance -> Memory management -> zRam (Compcache) --> By default this is set to 18% in order to provide more physical memory (RAM)
  • System -> Performance -> Kernel samepage merging -> Enable this to get smaller memory footprint due to memory sharing among apps (Note that this might increase battery consumption)

ICS is memory hungry, so the more memory we can get, the better the experience will be ;)

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
Benchmarks, screenshots and thklist

Benchmarks, screenshots and thklist

BENCHMARKS :
small preview and little benchmark withou OC, nor tweaks or optimization (miniCM9-3.0.0)

old benchmarks (with miniCM9-3.0.0) are now here

miniCM9-3.0.3 unofficial w/ nAa-ics04:
122-748MHz, smartassV2, zram18%, KSM: ON, dithering: ON, UV: ON, swap: 64MB, force 2D GPU rendering: OFF
AvR548PCQAEzl1K.png
Screenshot_2012-06-16-09-28-20.png

SCREENSHOTS :
Let's get the ball rolling, shall we?

attachment.php
attachment.php

on my mini :

Screenshot_2012-04-03-19-16-45.png
Screenshot_2012-04-03-19-16-27.png

Screenshot_2012-04-03-19-16-36.png
Screenshot_2012-04-03-19-16-55.png

Screenshot_2012-04-03-19-17-04.png
Screenshot_2012-04-03-19-17-16.png

Screenshot_2012-04-04-17-06-31.png
Screenshot_2012-04-04-17-06-49.png

Screenshot_2012-04-11-15-49-28.png
Screenshot_2012-04-11-15-48-52.png

THANK LIST (alphabetic order)

D_d
NobodyAtall

Last edited:

gh0stslayer

Nov 3, 2010
Bangalore

1/ is miniCM9 an april 1ST troll???????
ok, we are on April the 1stn but NO, it is not a troll, just some teasing, and then you'll be able to test it by yourself (on X8 only atm, you'll need to wait a little more for mini and pro)
i know , the rule is no E.T.A's and sorry if I sound like a nagging b!t@|-|, but can you give us a hint on how much more will we have to wait :rolleyes:???

Last edited:

Hageshi

Sep 21, 2011
What should i do first to install ics from gingerdx (with stock kernel)? install nAa ics kernel? or miniCM9?
I think that the kernel, but the kernel need a ics rom to install it, or no? so what should i do? what rom i have to install first to install the nAa kernel and then the miniCM9?

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
What should i do first to install ics from gingerdx (with stock kernel)? install nAa ics kernel? or miniCM9?
I think that the kernel, but the kernel need a ics rom to install it, or no? so what should i do? what rom i have to install first to install the nAa kernel and then the miniCM9?

unlock your bootloader if it isn't done yet
backup your old rom
flash kernel
boot to recovery
format system (loose every single app installed)
wipe data/factory reset (loose all data)
install miniCM9
install gapps
install fix (for sim)
boot

kernel needs ics rom to boot and work
but, you can still access to recovery with no ics rom installed :)

Reactions: Hageshi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Read Before Asking Please

FAQ for MiniCM9, nAa kernel and any other custom rom maybe
    reading may answer to lots of your questions !
    for X10mini, X8 & x10miniPRO

MiniCM9_logo_600x424.png

• i decided to create a new thread dedicated to Q&A about miniCM9 ;)
    • this thread is the place of your questions, answers, tips about miniCM9 and nAa ics kernel
    • so please, as usual, read FAQ, use search option or anything else before asking commonly answered questions
    • the FAQ will be incremented when needed
    • the Q&A is written as Q are asked

Requirements:

Instructions:
    • Download the MiniCM9-xxx.zip from the release link that follows
    • Backup your /data contents: contacts, apps, sms, etc. or backup via recovery
    • Move the MiniCM9-xxx.zip to the root folder of your sdcard. Download the suggested Google Apps for CM9 from here (check http://goo-inside.me/gapps/ if you want to experiment with other gapps versions)
    • Make sure you are using the nAa-ics kernel
    • Enter CWM and:
      - Select 'backup and restore -> Backup'
      - Select 'wipe data/factory reset' (MUST DO)
      - Flash the MiniCM9-xxx.zip. To do this, Select 'install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard' and select the MiniCM9-xxx.zip
      - Flash gapps in the same way
    • Reboot (first boot will take ~2 mins)
    • Once your device has booted, you can use the nAa notification to register for upcoming updates. This way you can get update notifications on new versions of MiniCM9 and the nAa-ics kernel!

Please make sure you followed the above steps before reporting any issues, especially 'wipe data/factory reset'

something else that is useful to read before asking :

Here we (nearly all? XDA members, regardless of being devs or only users [like me], me at least ) don't care about your good/bad English ;) the important is trying to be understood and to understand the content of the threads :)

only ask things you can't find, or you don't understand, please if you don't understand something in any process tell us exactly where is your problem : it will optimize the answer ;)

sometime rephrasing things can make you understand better, feel free to help us for making the most understandable sentence for anybody :)

i'm always trying to use a proper English (not so easy for a non native English ^^)
    but if there's something misunderstood because of my English your are welcome to correct me :)

BUT if you don't make the effort to read, I won't make the effort to answer :p (ok, you can't read everything... but read the minimum ;) )

that's it :)

miniCM website is now available (http://minicm.dyndns.org/site/Chat/ for chatroom)
    clic on the red text above ;)

register, and then enjoy :)

DO
    Reboot - Recovery

BUG
    the screen stuck in rebooting dialog. It should just rebooting

ACTION
    press home key (or any key maybe) to make it reboot

we seek for you, TESTERS, go there for helping : [DEV] miniCM9 debug only thread (shakira, robyn and mimmi)
    2nd part of FAQ

FAQ :

for quick search, use ctrl+f and enter keyword, you should find an answer to your question :)

how to understand FAQ :

0/ question(which build(s) is(are) concerned with q/
    answer to the question
    old, wrong or obsolete answer
    additionnal comments if needed

1/ is miniCM9 an april 1ST troll???????(any version)
    3/ cypress digitizer doesn't work ??(for miniCM9-3.0.0/nAa-ics01 on X8)
    use the dedicated fix :

3. and only keep the one you want to flash in the firmware folder
    4. then, start flastool and process flashing operations

1. the red part are nearly unresponsive :
      Screenshot_2012-04-10-20-50-16.png

but the buttons are still perfectly usable, just need to press more to the center
    2. when typing more than 2 times on a word : the app FC, to restart it just wait 2 seconds after pressing "ok"
    3. same issue when selecting words, it can lead to FC

in fact you'll quickly see by yourself how to live with this, without much problem :)
    ==> supposed reason : conflict between input method selecting way and ICS way, the two want to select, and ICS wins the battle :p
    ==> the well known keyboard panel freeze that existed in miniCM7 no more exists in miniCM9 !

dr.norton said:
    in brief, if your regional settings (on windows) don't correct (or let's say english localisation) you can't see the inner files of the main ftf file like kernel.sin & loader.sin in the flashtool, consequently you can't flash the ftf.
    if someone can't see the *.sin files of a *.ftf file, he should change his regional settings of his system. that's all :)

Settings --> display--> brightness
    -Enable automatic brightness
    -Enable ultra brightness

Settings --> display --> automatic blacklight
    -Enable Use custom level
    -Enable Allow light decrease
    -Screen dim levels...: follow this settings:
    Screenshot_2012-05-03-15-31-03_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Don't forget to Save & apply

If you don't see the image go HERE

• disable google search bar : settings > trebuchet > home screen > disable search bar
    • change grid size : settings > trebuchet > home screen > grid size
    • use Apex launcher

I tried a few things and managed to make the lights work this way:

1 - Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight .
    LIGHT SENSOR FILTER mark ''Enable''
    LIGHT LEVELS mark ''Use custom''
    mark ''Allow light decrease'',

2 - Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight > Decrease hysteresis
    Mark ''0%''

3 - Settings > Display > Brightness
    Mark ''Automatic brighness''

OK, The keyboard lights should work !

My configuration, Screenshots :

A: Using swap essentially increases the amount of memory available for your Android system and applications. What it does, is that it allows you to have more open apps at a given time without the need to kill older apps or HOME (causing redraws when you hit HOME). In essence, it improves the multitasking experience for low RAM phones.
    Swap is kept on the sdcard which is by no means as fast as the RAM memory of your phone. So it does NOT improve performance scores.

Q: What is the best sdcard for swap? What size should I use?
    A: The best sdcard is the one with the higher write speed. Usually you need at least a class 6 sdcard to see some improvement. This does not mean that swap won't work on slower sdcards, however things will get laggy when stuff are swapped in or out.
    The size to use really depends on your usage. For normal usage, 64MB should be enough for having 3-4 apps open at any time. If you need to run heavy apps, consider 128MB or 256MB. At any case you can experiment and find whichever option works best for you.

Q: So, what do I need to do to make swap work?
    A: Enabling Swap under MiniCM9 is a piece of cake: Settings -> Performance -> Memory Management -> Swap Settings
    There you can select the size, enable or disable, or check the current swap info.
    You do NOT need a swap partition. You do NOT need swapper or any other thirdparty apps/scripts. All can be done via the Settings menu.
    At boot, if a swapfile is found it's used. At shutdown/usb mass storage, if swap is enabled, it's cleanly disabled so that the sdcard can be unmounted as it should.

Q: Sounds complicated... Do I need to activate swap?
    A: No. MiniCM9 will work perfectly with or without swap as it does e.g. with or without overclocking. Swap is yet another cool performance-related feature :)

another explanation, in other words : here thanks to XepA

usefull links and performance tricks

some links for you :

flashtool (use 0.2.9.1)
    Flastool last version
    SEUS found in MIN thread by dr.norton
    unlock how to
    unlock how to 2
    what is the use of priority for settings in setcpu?
    summary for x10mini/pro
    debrick your mini
    last chance debrick
    miniCM wallpaper by D_d
    SD formatter
    flashplayer for X10 mini (use the download link for armv6) use it at you OWN risk.
    [how to] change X10mini battery
    Stock kernel for X10 mini ! (not pro)
    some explanation about CPU governors
    Mini CM9 Stuff [Walls,Themes,Tips, Icons]
    denoobing, reference and help for x10miniPRO (mimmi) thx to static28

performance tricks :

Hi folks!

MiniCM9 along with the nAa-ics kernel, includes some interesting performance improvement points:
    • System -> Performance -> Processor -> CPU governor and frequency --> SmartassV2 is suggested. Overclocking can be set as higher as your device can take
    • System -> Performance -> Processor -> Undervolting --> Enable this to get better battery life
    • System -> Performance -> Memory management -> zRam (Compcache) --> By default this is set to 18% in order to provide more physical memory (RAM)
    • System -> Performance -> Kernel samepage merging -> Enable this to get smaller memory footprint due to memory sharing among apps (Note that this might increase battery consumption)

ICS is memory hungry, so the more memory we can get, the better the experience will be ;)
    there's a while i didn't posted anything nice in FAQ, why not restarting with screen shots?

3rd part

here the 3rd