[ROOT]Samsung Galaxy S2 Wimax-Japan

Search This thread

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
Kinda new at this but decided to give it a shot. There are many variants of the SG2 and recently in Japan, AU Kddi released a beast...

As reported by gsmarena.com-"The Galaxy S II ISW11SC has a 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD display with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels, 1.4GHz dual-core Qualcomm QSC6085 processor, 8 megapixel rear camera with 1080p video recording, 2 megapixel front camera, 16GB internal memory, expandable memory, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 and NFC."

But being released in Japan there isn't much support for rooting on this phone. Part of the problem is most of its support and forums are in Japanese. After post a thread question, user tora201 showed me the light. He came across a japanese website with a super simple root for this phone. I decided to post it for all of us to use it with some simple instructions. Thanks tora201 for the help. None of this work is mine and all credit goes to the respective creators.

ROOT SCH-ISW11SC Samsung Galaxy S2 Wimax:

1.) Head over to this blog page, http://blog.livedoor.jp/kz_gin/archives/cat_136988.html, and download the two .zip files towards the bottom. They have the labels change_recovery_ISW11SC.zip, and root_ISW11SC.zip...or just use the attachments below...lol

2.) Copy the .zip files to a sd card. tora201 suggested using just an extra one you may have around. Place the sd card in your phone.

3.) With your phone powered off hold Volume Up, Home Button, and the Power Button at the same time until the phone boots into recovery mode.

4.) Using the Volume buttons and the Home Button as a select button, choose the change_recovery.zip from the sd card. (Y'all should know how to navigate these types of menus well, will help those that don't)

5.) Reboot the phone. Now power off the phone again and repeat step 3. Your phone should boot in to Clockworkmod Recovery. The Recovery is now navigated via the touch screen not the keys or buttons!!

6.) Like before go, select install .zip from sd....find your sd card and select root_.zip..then reboot....you should now notice Super User in your App Drawer!!!
Download Root Checker Basic to verify root access. Reinstall your primary sd card and your good to go!!

The only trouble I ran into was when installing the root.zip, it would not detect my external sd card. Repeatedly said "No Files Found". So I restarted the phone, went into the File Explorer, tracked down the root.zip on my external sd card, copied it to my internal sd card. Reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery, tracked down the root.zip through the same steps above expect in my internal sd card. Worked with no charm. Im not a programmer or anything like that, so if you guys have any questions I'll try to answer them the best I can. Thanks and good luck...As always not responsible for any damage to your phone..Come on though, this one is too easy to screw up...lol

Credit to tora201 and kz_gin (of the Japanese blog)

Feel free to post some of your Quadrant Standard Scores...i got a high one unrooted...so just imagine what you root magic could do...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333219021185.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333219021185.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,774
  • change_recovery_isw11sc.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 16,307
  • root_isw11sc.zip
    306 KB · Views: 11,172

MrGadget30

Apr 5, 2012
colorado springs
:D Gooding looking out! I was about to go crazy a minute there... AU got me cause at first I thought I was getting a model similar to the stateside model. then I been searching a waiting for a month to find the way to root my phone. I'm going to try this procedure out.

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
just be warned you will loose NFC and au Market access after rooting....the NFC is still there but the NFC.apk for this specific model is not there and it will not accept the NFC.apk thats floating around here...and I'm sure you weren't using au market to start with unless you read japanese fluently...lol

EDIT: let me know how the rooting went...i need to be sure my instructions are clear enough....and actually work

Last edited:

debaucher

Aug 25, 2010
I just picked up this phone today from auKddi.
Before I root, anyone other problems other than loosing NFC and au Market?

Thanks!

D.

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
no other problems that I've ran into...my phone has been running just fine since early feb....just very slow support for it seeing as it being a Japanese phone...i know there is a lot of support but i don't read or speak japanese forums...im constantly trying to find and look up things though....feel free to through anything out there you find...

debaucher

Aug 25, 2010
thanks for the reply.

I will keep going over whatever Japanese posts/forums I can find (understand) and post any relevant information I find.

I still have not rooted as I want to be sure I don't need the NFC program first (I really don't need another market place.. sheesh.. google market, amazon market, samsung market, au market ...)

D.

debaucher

Aug 25, 2010
Ok, I am still gathering info before I root (attempt) and came across this.
It may work in getting the au market working.
(Google translation to help those who do not read Kanji very well)

If anyone wants to give it a try, let me know.

Like I said, I have not rooted yet so I can't try it myself.

D.

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
Nope no go...here are the screen captures...any info on the nfc?

Sent from my ISW11SC using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336653487798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336653487798.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 756
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336653516648.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336653516648.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 681

dvhh

Mar 1, 2011
Osaka
I am very tempted in rooting the phone, as I wasn't provided with the correct SIM card (IC card) for using NFC (only discovered it recently that you need a specific SIM card).

Thanks anyway, it's a nice release for non-japanese speakers living in japan.

rassam

May 26, 2008
Hi mate, thanks for the hard work for putting this up and in English. I noticed the website you refer to now has a version 2 for root. do you know if its a better way of rooting and how it can be done. really appreciate the effort.

Sent from my ISW11SC using xda premium

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
hmmm i didnt know there was a new version of the root....ill take a look at it....maybe its something to fixes the au Market and NFC faults....

well from what i get its a root method meant for LB# build before the update that you get from the network when you first turn it on. i emailed the guy to the best i could using Google Translate ( yeah i know) so hopefully he answers back. his instructions talk about using odin and what not. a little too much if you ask me...let me know if you install an ICS Rom...i been searching for answers on which ROM/baseband/kernel etc to use but to no luck..

Last edited:

rassam

May 26, 2008
I think this phone seriously needs ics . It would solve the menu lagging as its built for dual core unlike gingerbread. I don't think I can port any ROM because I don't have the necessary know how. I'm just praying .

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
well checked with the v2 root and all it is, is another way to root the device. i was told some people were having trouble with v2 so they came up with the one that is used in the guide...im seriously thinking of flashing a ROM from the Asian area built for the GS2 LTE...i dont want to lose signal and wimax function though...so i got to do more research..i think the SG2 LTE is the closest to our model

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
strange thing....theres an update today:for improved performance....40 mb ota but i cant install it..i guess because of the root....so im trying to find it manually and install using cwm...but cant locate it in the system...you guys come across it yet?

rassam

May 26, 2008
I downloaded but havent seen any difference other than my wifi reception has improved from my router.
this is my info on my phone does anyone know if i can still root this phone with the method posted on XDA?
sv6gm

rassam

May 26, 2008
Here we go

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338171956911.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338171956911.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 502

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kinda new at this but decided to give it a shot. There are many variants of the SG2 and recently in Japan, AU Kddi released a beast...

As reported by gsmarena.com-"The Galaxy S II ISW11SC has a 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD display with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels, 1.4GHz dual-core Qualcomm QSC6085 processor, 8 megapixel rear camera with 1080p video recording, 2 megapixel front camera, 16GB internal memory, expandable memory, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 and NFC."

But being released in Japan there isn't much support for rooting on this phone. Part of the problem is most of its support and forums are in Japanese. After post a thread question, user tora201 showed me the light. He came across a japanese website with a super simple root for this phone. I decided to post it for all of us to use it with some simple instructions. Thanks tora201 for the help. None of this work is mine and all credit goes to the respective creators.

ROOT SCH-ISW11SC Samsung Galaxy S2 Wimax:

1.) Head over to this blog page, http://blog.livedoor.jp/kz_gin/archives/cat_136988.html, and download the two .zip files towards the bottom. They have the labels change_recovery_ISW11SC.zip, and root_ISW11SC.zip...or just use the attachments below...lol

2.) Copy the .zip files to a sd card. tora201 suggested using just an extra one you may have around. Place the sd card in your phone.

3.) With your phone powered off hold Volume Up, Home Button, and the Power Button at the same time until the phone boots into recovery mode.

4.) Using the Volume buttons and the Home Button as a select button, choose the change_recovery.zip from the sd card. (Y'all should know how to navigate these types of menus well, will help those that don't)

5.) Reboot the phone. Now power off the phone again and repeat step 3. Your phone should boot in to Clockworkmod Recovery. The Recovery is now navigated via the touch screen not the keys or buttons!!

6.) Like before go, select install .zip from sd....find your sd card and select root_.zip..then reboot....you should now notice Super User in your App Drawer!!!
    Download Root Checker Basic to verify root access. Reinstall your primary sd card and your good to go!!

The only trouble I ran into was when installing the root.zip, it would not detect my external sd card. Repeatedly said "No Files Found". So I restarted the phone, went into the File Explorer, tracked down the root.zip on my external sd card, copied it to my internal sd card. Reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery, tracked down the root.zip through the same steps above expect in my internal sd card. Worked with no charm. Im not a programmer or anything like that, so if you guys have any questions I'll try to answer them the best I can. Thanks and good luck...As always not responsible for any damage to your phone..Come on though, this one is too easy to screw up...lol

Credit to tora201 and kz_gin (of the Japanese blog)

Feel free to post some of your Quadrant Standard Scores...i got a high one unrooted...so just imagine what you root magic could do...
    Could u help me about rooting this phone? I got a new update too so now i'm in ICS, but dont no how to root.
    Wait.. did you say installing Google Now? How?
    I searched in my 4rum in VietNam, they said it's need deodexed in Rom. So if i'm in stock Rom, is it have deodexed already?
    Sry about my Eng. I'm Vietnamese

Use this file with the recovery mode.
    getting busybox is helpful afterward.

Google Now is buggy on stock ROM, and my guess is that services outside US for Google Now is very minimal.
    ok, so ive got the loaner GS2. it prompts me for update. its the gingerbread.LG2 update from about a month ago (40mb or so). I install it, everything works fine. Now, it says im up to date. Still on 2.3.6. Im beginning to think Au took the update down and isnt pushing it anymore.

Nah - the update is still up an working. I checked AU's site. Not sure why it says it's all uptodate. You seem to have nothing but bad luck with this! Hey if you are bored with the loaner, you could always upgrade to ICS using ODIN ;)

:D
    @chronoknight
    firmware (hosted on my piss poor server)
    http://kd027088212173.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp:81/downloads/ISW11SC/index.html

@leolone :
    Better use ODIN to flash a Stock ROM

@jakegio
    could you post the result of typing *#1234#

Current (buggy GPS) ICS
    PDA: ISW11SCKDLPJ
    PHONE : ISW11SCKDLPJ
    Build Info Sat Aug 18 17:16:01 KST 2012
    CSC : ISW11SCKDLPJ
    Ok, I attached my au market titanium backup apk.
    It will probably work best if you use titanium backup to reinstall it, but you may be able to open it with winrar or 7zip and extract the apk manually...

Not sure if this will work or not.. but worth a try.

D.