Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,262 Members 44,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AOKP vs. AOSP

Tip us?

zoppp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default AOKP vs. AOSP

What are the differences between these two sources or whatever they are? Still confused what differentiates whitehawkx's AKOP based rom from the Eaglesblood AOSP rom?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
- Akash
Blackberry 8320 (Indestructible Tank) -> LG G2x (SCREW LG) -> GS3 (Current)

painter_
Old
Thanks Meter 151
AOSP = Android open source project.
source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)
AOKP = Android open kang project
Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.
Cyanogen mod would fall into the same category as AOKP.

Hope this helps.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to painter_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zoppp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter_ View Post
source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)
Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, that cleared up alot.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
- Akash
Blackberry 8320 (Indestructible Tank) -> LG G2x (SCREW LG) -> GS3 (Current)

lf35
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was wondering the same thing.Thanks for the info.

jwalker3181
Old
Thanks Meter 15
That's what i thought thanks for the confirmation

Midnight_Rider
Old
Thanks Meter 1049

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter_ View Post

Hope this helps.
as would all the other ROMs on here? hellfire, eaglesblood? they are made from CM7/9 correct? unless otherwise noted?
-Jerry
Nexus 5

Klathmon
Old
Thanks Meter 230

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefan67 View Post
as would all the other ROMs on here? hellfire, eaglesblood? they are made from CM7/9 correct? unless otherwise noted?
not really, AOKP uses some CM9 stuff, but its definitely a proper ROM on its own.

Any rom that says AOSP in its name is generally Built from google source code, with little to nothing from CM7/9 other than what might be necessary to get things running.

MIUI is another rom that, while built from CM7/9 is VERY different.

ROM's like Hellfire, and others similar to it, are mostly just a proper CM7/9 ROM with tweaks, and small fixes put into it, and more recently (to my annoyance) other kernels too.

Overall, CyanogenMod was probably the greatest thing to happen to android modding as a whole, they provide a base for most things to branch off from (and they don't even complain when everyone and everything uses their source!) The only reason its in everything is because if its something that the user will not see, and it works, why spend the days/weeks/months to develop it when its sitting right on CyanogenMod's GIT.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Klathmon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

binded2
Old
Thanks Meter 6
this explains alot

Midnight_Rider
Old
Thanks Meter 1049

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klathmon View Post
not really, AOKP uses some CM9 stuff, but its definitely a proper ROM on its own.

Any rom that says AOSP in its name is generally Built from google source code, with little to nothing from CM7/9 other than what might be necessary to get things running.

MIUI is another rom that, while built from CM7/9 is VERY different.

ROM's like Hellfire, and others similar to it, are mostly just a proper CM7/9 ROM with tweaks, and small fixes put into it, and more recently (to my annoyance) other kernels too.

Overall, CyanogenMod was probably the greatest thing to happen to android modding as a whole, they provide a base for most things to branch off from (and they don't even complain when everyone and everything uses their source!) The only reason its in everything is because if its something that the user will not see, and it works, why spend the days/weeks/months to develop it when its sitting right on CyanogenMod's GIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binded2 View Post
this explains alot
yeah it does, thanks Klathmon!!
-Jerry
Nexus 5

i9100user
Old
Thanks Meter 5
thanks alot its so cleared now