FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

AOKP vs. AOSP

1st April 2012, 03:24 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
What are the differences between these two sources or whatever they are? Still confused what differentiates whitehawkx's AKOP based rom from the Eaglesblood AOSP rom?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
 
 
1st April 2012, 04:08 PM |#2  
painter_'s Avatar
Senior Member
North Eastern Ohio
Thanks Meter: 161
 
More
AOSP = Android open source project.
source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)
AOKP = Android open kang project
Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.
Cyanogen mod would fall into the same category as AOKP.

Hope this helps.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to painter_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2012, 05:41 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter_

AOSP = Android open source project.

source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)
AOKP = Android open kang project
Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.
Cyanogen mod would fall into the same category as AOKP.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that cleared up alot.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
2nd April 2012, 06:28 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I was wondering the same thing.Thanks for the info.
2nd April 2012, 08:18 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
That's what i thought thanks for the confirmation
3rd April 2012, 09:45 PM |#6  
Midnight_Rider's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kannapolis, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,093
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter_

AOSP = Android open source project.

source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)
AOKP = Android open kang project
Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.
Cyanogen mod would fall into the same category as AOKP.

Hope this helps.

as would all the other ROMs on here? hellfire, eaglesblood? they are made from CM7/9 correct? unless otherwise noted?
4th April 2012, 12:12 AM |#7  
Klathmon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefan67

as would all the other ROMs on here? hellfire, eaglesblood? they are made from CM7/9 correct? unless otherwise noted?

not really, AOKP uses some CM9 stuff, but its definitely a proper ROM on its own.

Any rom that says AOSP in its name is generally Built from google source code, with little to nothing from CM7/9 other than what might be necessary to get things running.

MIUI is another rom that, while built from CM7/9 is VERY different.

ROM's like Hellfire, and others similar to it, are mostly just a proper CM7/9 ROM with tweaks, and small fixes put into it, and more recently (to my annoyance) other kernels too.

Overall, CyanogenMod was probably the greatest thing to happen to android modding as a whole, they provide a base for most things to branch off from (and they don't even complain when everyone and everything uses their source!) The only reason its in everything is because if its something that the user will not see, and it works, why spend the days/weeks/months to develop it when its sitting right on CyanogenMod's GIT.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Klathmon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th April 2012, 03:20 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
this explains alot
5th April 2012, 11:48 PM |#9  
Midnight_Rider's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kannapolis, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,093
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klathmon

not really, AOKP uses some CM9 stuff, but its definitely a proper ROM on its own.

Any rom that says AOSP in its name is generally Built from google source code, with little to nothing from CM7/9 other than what might be necessary to get things running.

MIUI is another rom that, while built from CM7/9 is VERY different.

ROM's like Hellfire, and others similar to it, are mostly just a proper CM7/9 ROM with tweaks, and small fixes put into it, and more recently (to my annoyance) other kernels too.

Overall, CyanogenMod was probably the greatest thing to happen to android modding as a whole, they provide a base for most things to branch off from (and they don't even complain when everyone and everything uses their source!) The only reason its in everything is because if its something that the user will not see, and it works, why spend the days/weeks/months to develop it when its sitting right on CyanogenMod's GIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binded2

this explains alot

yeah it does, thanks Klathmon!!
9th July 2012, 07:33 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Flag Gaza
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
thanks alot its so cleared now
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes