FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

why is this thing so damn slow...

216 posts
Thanks Meter: 21
 
By dairymasta, Senior Member on 1st April 2012, 03:37 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Just bought it yesterday, posting from it now in fact. Absolutely love the screen and form factor, its perfect in that sense...however with touchwiz 3.2 it was just unusable. Went to overcome, didn't help still too slow.

I'm now on cm9 and its still just so damn slow. The browser isn't smooth at all, playing games like anomaly hd and shadow gun just aren't smooth and seem like they're running at 15 fps, and trying to play HD content just depresses me because it doesn't work.

So I feel like I'm stuck with an amazing tablet which is just useless.

Is the situation ever going to get better? Am I doing something wrong? Should I just sell the thing even though I only got it yesterday? I watched a million videos before I bought it so I knew what to expect but using it constantly is just a different story...
 
 
1st April 2012, 03:54 PM |#2  
ceyo14's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 122
 
More
Thats tegra2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium
1st April 2012, 04:35 PM |#3  
rovex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 222
 
More
I would indeed seem that Tegra 2 is a broken CPU. Never seen a fully smooth tegra device, even a WVGA phone running ICS, its not a lack of power, its just poorly designed and isn't able to deliver its power. I wonder if it's a memory controller issue. The PS3 also has a broken GPU (also nVidia!), but because its a single closed system its been worked around.

You CAN improve things somewhat though. Games arent slow for me, or the browser, but the homescreen is bad. Overclocking helps (running at 1.4ghz here with no issues), change the CPU scaling threshold to 65% increase the sampling rate.

Different launchers improve things to, but none are 100% perfect. ADW EX has a silky smooth homescreen and app draw, but scrolling widgets are slow. Go launcher HD is slightly slower in the homescreen, but widgets are much better.

Part of the problem is Honeycomb which is slow, the ICS builds we have now arent perfect, but they aren't built from Samsung sources. Once we have real Sammy ROMs and Sources to work from things should improve.
Last edited by rovex; 1st April 2012 at 04:38 PM.
1st April 2012, 04:50 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex

I would indeed seem that Tegra 2 is a broken CPU. Never seen a fully smooth tegra device, even a WVGA phone running ICS, its not a lack of power, its just poorly designed and isn't able to deliver its power. I wonder if it's a memory controller issue. The PS3 also has a broken GPU (also nVidia!), but because its a single closed system its been worked around.

You CAN improve things somewhat though. Games arent slow for me, or the browser, but the homescreen is bad. Overclocking helps (running at 1.4ghz here with no issues), change the CPU scaling threshold to 65% increase the sampling rate.

Different launchers improve things to, but none are 100% perfect. ADW EX has a silky smooth homescreen and app draw, but scrolling widgets are slow. Go launcher HD is slightly slower in the homescreen, but widgets are much better.

Part of the problem is Honeycomb which is slow, the ICS builds we have now arent perfect, but they aren't built from Samsung sources. Once we have real Sammy ROMs and Sources to work from things should improve.

Not sure what you mean by the scaling thing but I am overclocked to 1.4 atm using NoFrills...as for browsing depends on the browser and the website, with the stock some websites are okay, I'm using chrome at the moment to post this and its just so sluggish...

As for games, they literally look like they're running at 15fps, its ridiculous.

Very disappointed, really don't want to have to buy an iPad but I just don't see the point of having a product like this that's so brilliant in theory but so poorly executed with absolutely no polish...how can they even sell a product that's this slow...
1st April 2012, 05:48 PM |#5  
Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
All hd games and content run fine for me. I'm on stock, not rooted. Using GO Launcher HD. Maybe I got lucky?
1st April 2012, 06:01 PM |#6  
nirogu325's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 888
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dairymasta

Not sure what you mean by the scaling thing but I am overclocked to 1.4 atm using NoFrills...as for browsing depends on the browser and the website, with the stock some websites are okay, I'm using chrome at the moment to post this and its just so sluggish...

As for games, they literally look like they're running at 15fps, its ridiculous.

Very disappointed, really don't want to have to buy an iPad but I just don't see the point of having a product like this that's so brilliant in theory but so poorly executed with absolutely no polish...how can they even sell a product that's this slow...

You are judging Alpha software (CM9) as if it were final as in Stable status. Things will improve even more when Samsung releases source. In my experience, this tablet has been smooth with ADW EX. Perfectly usable, no stuttering, almost no lag, speedy and long lasting battery. Hey and this is with unfinished software (ICS) due to lack of source! I even had a good experience with firmware LA3. Just ditch the TouchWiz launcher. It helps a lot. If you still want to leave the tablet, be my guest, your choice.

Sent from my SGH-T959.
1st April 2012, 06:02 PM |#7  
rovex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 222
 
More
You can use SetCPU to adjust the CPU thresholds. It basically changes load at which the CPU scales up its clock rate, makes it more responsive, but wont make it faster at its peak.
1st April 2012, 06:07 PM |#8  
nirogu325's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 888
 
More
Also, remember to make sure the CPU Governor is set to Interactive and not On Demand.

Sent from my SGH-T959.
1st April 2012, 06:16 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirogu325

You are judging Alpha software (CM9) as if it were final as in Stable status. Things will improve even more when Samsung releases source. In my experience, this tablet has been smooth with ADW EX. Perfectly usable, no stuttering, almost no lag, speedy and long lasting battery. Hey and this is with unfinished software (ICS) due to lack of source! I even had a good experience with firmware LA3. Just ditch the TouchWiz launcher. It helps a lot. If you still want to leave the tablet, be my guest, your choice.

Sent from my SGH-T959.

Tbh I don't think this is a fair argument, the thing shipped with honeycomb finalized and even had an update, neither of which was alpha software and they both sucked and were completely unusable. The fact that I had to root and am currently using cm9 just so that I can use the thing reasonably is ridiculous...

I'm using cm9 and it is a lot better but I still find that games don't run smoothly, scrolling isn't smooth and there's a lot of lag

I do have it over locked to 1.4 and have governor set to interactive as well as I/O set to snoop. Its at least usable now but its so disappointing seeing such an amazing piece of hardware gone to waste. It kills the iPad on every level but the software just lets it down so badly....
1st April 2012, 07:11 PM |#10  
Gizmo123's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
We just need to wait, and hope for the best with ICS kernel. Tegra 2 ain't that bad, it's like every other Tegra 2 out there, it has its limitations, HD videos are one of them. Considering what my job is, i get a lot of Android tablets, but none of them were completely smooth, it's Android fault mostly.

The best i got so far was Transformer Prime, but that's Tegra 3, but the smoothest one of Tegra 2 ones was definitely Motorola Xoom. If Xoom can be that smooth with Honeycomb when i tested it, there is hope for this model yet. Software is the thing that needs fixing, so this model gets what it deserves. Even then, it won't be as smooth as iPad, and with every new Android version i am more and more sceptical that level of smoothness will ever be achieved.
1st April 2012, 07:33 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo123

We just need to wait, and hope for the best with ICS kernel. Tegra 2 ain't that bad, it's like every other Tegra 2 out there, it has its limitations, HD videos are one of them. Considering what my job is, i get a lot of Android tablets, but none of them were completely smooth, it's Android fault mostly.

The best i got so far was Transformer Prime, but that's Tegra 3, but the smoothest one of Tegra 2 ones was definitely Motorola Xoom. If Xoom can be that smooth with Honeycomb when i tested it, there is hope for this model yet. Software is the thing that needs fixing, so this model gets what it deserves. Even then, it won't be as smooth as iPad, and with every new Android version i am more and more sceptical that level of smoothness will ever be achieved.

I don't think iOS smoothness will ever be achieved, its definitely an android limitation.

As for HD movies I've tried dice player, mobo player vplayer and mx video player...only dice seems to give a decent framerate but still has a lot of slowdown. Some of the other players don't even play audio which is a bit weird, but that's probably my fault not messing about with the settings.

Any tips for sorting out the video? Or will tegra2 never be able to handle it? Because if that's the case this is definitely a waste of a very good screen and while it'll break my heart, will have to sell it...

EDIT: also is there any fix to get 3d gaming to run a bit faster? Will doing a system wipe, dalvik cache and cache partition wipe and reflash help you reckon?
Last edited by dairymasta; 1st April 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes