Unable to to Boot after CM7 install

Search This thread

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
A friend of mine tried to install CM7 on his NookColor. Something went wrong and so he brought it to me. I've done dozens of these. I thought it would be an easy fix so I stuck in my trusty SD boot card with encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03042012. I booted into CWM and did a factory reset and installed encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03042012. I booted it up and expected it to be fixed.

It did the same thing this time which is to boot to the initial splashcreen and then go blank. You can tell the screen is still backlit, but it never changes. You have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to turn it off.

When I boot back into CMW I see some unexpected messages

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /log
E:Can't open/cache/recovery /log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /last_log
E:Can't open/cache/recovery /last_log

I tried installing CM7 again and watched the messages closely. It says

Installeding update

Install from sdcard complete.

Reboots the same way

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this? Thanks

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
Well, I spent all day yesterday Googling and searching all the forums on XDA Of course I started with Dummies Guide to Fixing 'My Nook Won't Boot'. It is incredibly out of date and is likely to do more harm than good. I think that if it is going to be a sticky, then at least it should show current, relevant information.

I tried [HOW-TO] : Restore Nook Color back to stock EASILY!. I was unable to format several of the partitions specified, but proceeded anyway. It appeared to install OK, but now I am stuck at the N when it boots.

I am continuing to search but I keep running into dead links, downloads that say they will take 5 hours, and references to outdated files. I really would appreciate some knowledgeable help here guys. Thanks

n8nmad

Jan 14, 2011
I have the same deal. I think since the WIP clockwork update. I've tried most of the fixes from the links as I still have most. I tried everything you have as well as trying restoring and using different versions of clockwork and trying to get a cache up to no avail. The please keep me posted because this is the first replica of my situation. I am using an Asus t101 now so I'm in no hurry but I've had me NC forever and love the reading size.

Good luck.

How do you create or fix the cache for e:? I can you ADB into clockwork?

Last edited:

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
Just in case anyone ever reads this thread I thought I would give some more information regarding my problem.

I am able to get into CWM 3.2.0.1 internally. I stiil can't get any ROM loaded though. ( I have loaded several different ROMS to the NC previously including the CM7 nightlies from 75 to 130, so I am well versed in how to do it).

I'm thinking there is something wrong with my partitons. I'm not well versed in exactly what happens during the boot process and what is on each partiton.

I though it might be useful for those people who know about this stuff if I supplied more info (since my eyesight is giving out from reading so many threads)

If I go into the mounts and storage menu and do severals format, this is what I get.

Format system - Error formatting /system!
Format data- Error formatting /data!
Format cache- Error formatting /cache!

I was afraid to format emmc or boot.

Does this help anyone?

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
I do have a CWM SD card and can boot to that as well.

Neither one works. I tried installing

nookcolor_1_4_1_update.zip
update-nc-stock-1.3.zip
encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03232012.zip

All leave me where I am now

andrewddickey

Jan 23, 2011
How old is the nook?

What happened when your friend tried to install cm7? What was going on with it prior to installation?

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
Don't really have much info.

I have no idea how old the NC is.

I believe that the guy had stock B&N running and tried to install CM7 (verson unknown) with a bootable microSD card, I don't know if he was using the latest CWM on the card.

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
Here's another clue.

I have a dual boot SD card made based on the instructions in

[ROMS]NEW! Dualboot Mirage CM7 / ICS CM9 Image for SDcard [3/26].

If I use it on a stock B&N NC, the SD card works correctly.

If I use it in the borked NC, it still boots into a black screen.

I would prefer to try to resolve this mayself. I have 20+ years in PC support and feel if I can just get the right information, I can fix it.

If I can't get it done in the next 3 or 4 days, I may take you up on it. However, the frind would have to OK it and I don't know how he feels about sending it off. Thanks

BTW, I tried plugging in the USB cable to see if maybe I could try some ADB magic, but the laptop slings an error when trying to load the driver.

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
Let me amend that last post. I tried the dual boot (this time using the alternate boot image) and successfully got into CM9. Does this help me?

n8nmad

Jan 14, 2011
I am trying to find a way to fdisk or mount a way to change pemissions to rw,mode=0755 or but cannot find the usb yet. I will see what I can google.

Seems the emmc permissions are wrong possibly.

Edit: this is what my mount says about the nook when I mount it to linux:

/dev/sdb on /media/0838-AA8D type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)

Last edited:

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
Since I have thee NC booting to CM9 off the SD card, I thought I would load ADB and see if there was something I could do..

I went to [Ref] Nook Color Links |Guides|How To|Utilities| Etc. 12/26 Read FIRST =) in the developer's section and went to the referenced

•Nook Color USB Drivers and ADB Setup (WinXP&7)

The links in that thread are dead. Can someone point out a link to the current prefered method?

dli7319

Jan 9, 2011
U.S.A.
have you tried
[UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM
from showthread.php?t=1050520

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Hi there,

If you are able to boot to CM9 off the sDcard. Try opening up terminal emulator and enter the following commands:

Code:
$ su
# fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

and paste the output here. That should give you you're EMMC partition layout.

-Racks

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Yeah, what racks said. Sounds like you formatted your emmc boot partition to me. In one of the old resurrected threads that you posted to, the OP flat out says they formatted boot.

Don't format boot, everyone.

Post the output of racks command, and we'll know for sure.

If you just formatted (read: erased) the boot partition, then your ROM partition should be intact. That means 8 failed reboot can load the stock firmware. It may be a last-ditch effort for many, but it doesn't require any adb knowledge our even a computer, so I tend to recommend it early.

Reboot as it is loading the cyanogen screen eight times while holding down power,n, and the volume keys. If it doesn't work the first time, do the entire sequence again. Of course, if you enter rack's command, you will see if your ROM partition is still intact which is required for this method to work.

Last edited:

Bonnie_Raitt

May 10, 2011
app_39@android:/ # fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
Warning: invalid flag 0x00,0x00 of partition table 5 will be corrected by w(rite)

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7944 MB, 7944011776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 965 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 * 1 9 72261 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 10 18 72292+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 19 56 305235 83 Linux
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 57 935 7060567+ 5 Extended
app_39@android:/ #

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Warning: invalid flag 0x00,0x00 of partition table 5 will be corrected by w(rite)

Yep, your missing the last 4 partitions which are /system, /data, /cache, /media. Which you would need to flash any rom. You're gonna have to re-create them by using fdisk from and SDcard ROM (eg. CM7 or CM9). There's a thread here somewhere that dealt with all that. I'll browse through and see if I can find it for you.

-Racks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I had a minute so I've put together a CWM Flashable zip that will recreate the partitions for you! So create a bootable CWM Recovery SDcard and flash as you would a rom. Make sure you reboot after flashing before you attempt to flash anything else!

This will recreate /system /data /cache & /media on your EMMC. This is also assuming you still have the first 4 partitions intact. This will only recreate partitions 5,6,7 & 8. Please let me know if it works or not. It should, but ya neva know. So usual disclaimers apply here..

**Use this at your own risk, I am not responsible for what happens to your device.. yadayadayada...**

Again this should work as intended, but I don't have a borked nook color to try it on. :p

Good luck!
    Racks

Edit: Forgot to mention that all I did was use DeanGibson's scripts as a base and packaged it as a flashable zip. So big-up to you as well Mr. DeanGibson. :D
    A friend of mine tried to install CM7 on his NookColor. Something went wrong and so he brought it to me. I've done dozens of these. I thought it would be an easy fix so I stuck in my trusty SD boot card with encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03042012. I booted into CWM and did a factory reset and installed encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03042012. I booted it up and expected it to be fixed.

It did the same thing this time which is to boot to the initial splashcreen and then go blank. You can tell the screen is still backlit, but it never changes. You have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to turn it off.

When I boot back into CMW I see some unexpected messages

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /command
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /log
    E:Can't open/cache/recovery /log
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /last_log
    E:Can't open/cache/recovery /last_log

I tried installing CM7 again and watched the messages closely. It says

Installeding update

Install from sdcard complete.

Reboots the same way

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this? Thanks

Yep, your missing the last 4 partitions which are /system, /data, /cache, /media. Which you would need to flash any rom. You're gonna have to re-create them by using fdisk from and SDcard ROM (eg. CM7 or CM9). There's a thread here somewhere that dealt with all that. I'll browse through and see if I can find it for you.

-Racks
    This is nookcolor easy adb 3:

http://db.tt/b3XfztAY

And the USB files file NC:

nookcolor usb
    http://db.tt/QRhksG2n
    You Rule Racks. This is Top Notch! 100% success. You just saved many nooks my friend.