Some of these will just have a link to the proper thread, because the tutorials they provide helped me out and are perfect. I don't need to redo them.
So, let the game begin
I have the HTC Sensation XL!
I have searched and searched all over the internet and found some ways to do unlock and relock bootloader, root and unroot, and even found the RUU.exe for Europe and downloaded it before the sharing site locked EVERY shared files due to the activities of the internet restrictions.
Handy tool that helped me a lot! - Created by anders3408
After changing ROMS, my phone was unrooted and could not root it with the normal steps, so anders3408 suggested I try this. Worked like a charm! Rooted with just one click.
Runnymede AIO Tool With GUI
STEP ONE: UNLOCK BOOT LOADER
First of all, let's unlock your boot loader, this step is pretty easy because the website that provides you the unlock code also provides the steps you need to unlock your boot loader, after this re locking is even more simpler.
Just go to HTCDEV boot loader and follow the steps there to unlock your boot loader.
***WARRANTY issues if you do this step and any other step from here*** but you can re lock your boot loader and unroot your device to use your WARRANTY again.
STEP 2: INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD
When I wanted to install Cockwork Mod recovery on my S.XL I got errors
after 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' it showed me an error related to can't load recovery.img
That's because you are in the wrong directory, just cd to the correct directory where recovery.img is you want to flash CWM recovery on your device.
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS TAKE BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ON YOUR DEVICE
you can take backups with CLOCKWORKMOD of your device, just do that so you can restore your device if you don't like other roms or need a recovery.
Remember that the magnifying glass on your HTC Sensation XL is used as ENTER/SELECT in CWM
You'll be needing ADB installed on your system - GUIDE <- if this is not the original guide please tell me so I can change it
After you have installed ADB just head over to [vertigo]'s thread here and fast search for 'Clockwork Mod'.
Thread by Shingers5 - ClockworkMod Recovery 220.127.116.11 unofficial MoDaCo edition - Paul O'Brien recovery - this recovery is more stable
STEP 3: ROOT YOUR DEVICE
For rooting your device just head over to Shingers5 thread about permanent rooting the HTC Sensation XL
STEP 4: INSTALL ICE COLD SANDWICH
Awesome thread here about the ICE COLD SANDWICH
Go to the 'How to install' part on benjamin.j.goodwin's thread.
(I currently run 3 Musketeers Insanely Cool Sense v3)
STEP 5: BACKUP OR RESTORE YOUR PREVIOUS ROM
To recover your previous rom on your device you just need to go where you also backed up your device and hit on recover and select the recovered rom. This all can be found if you
1. Turn off device
2. Take out battery and put it back in
3. Hold volume down and press on power
4. Use volume down to slide to recovery and press on power to select it
5. There you can find CWM recovery where you can backup or restore your device
( WHEN YOU SELECT BACKUP OR RESTORE YOUR DEVICES ACTS LIKE IT'S STUCK, DON'T BE FOOLED. IT IS DOING IT'S JOB, JUST BE PATIENCE )
STEP 6: LOCKING BOOT LOADER
You need ADB so follow these steps HERE
To lock your boot loader you definitely need to have a proper connection between your device and computer.
To re lock your boot loader you need to:
1. Turn off your phone
2. Take out your battery and put it back in
3. hold your volume down button and press the power button. (KEEP HOLDING YOUR VOLUME DOWN BUTTON) You will see a white screen with fastboot written on it.
4. Navigate with your volume up or down to fastboot and press the power button to select it.
5. Connect your device with your computer, you will see 'fastboot USB ....'
6. open the terminal in your computer and type in 'adb devices', you probably will see an empty list, no devices. Just follow step 7
7. type in 'fastboot oem lock' without quotes and your device is locked again, you will see relocked - you might see a warning under it but that's nothing, after rebooting the warning will go away.
8. I don't know why you can't see any devices connected when in fastboot USB mode but if you start up your phone and redo step 6. you will see your device.
STEP 7: UNROOT YOUR DEVICE
To unroot your device you will need to relock your boot loader. Follow STEP 6: LOCKING BOOT LOADER first
1. Download YOUR proper RUU.exe from Football's thread HERE
(I could not download anything from Filefactory because of restrictions for free users)
I found mine on another download site, but that one was locked after I downloaded this RUU.exe.
2. open RUU.exe and follow the onscreen steps to unroot your device and install stock rom.
Now you have WARRANTY again
OK, if you guys think there is missing something or something needs to be changed or whatever tell me I'd be glad to improve
Special thanks to:
GOT NEW LINKS FOR RUU.exe roms? Please share because the other threads with links to stock roms are outdated or you need to be premium member to download.