5,600,182 Members 40,080 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TIP] Backup/Restore user apps and data from old phone (without needing root)

Tip us?

tombriden
Old
(Last edited by tombriden; 15th May 2012 at 08:33 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 301

DONATE TO ME
Default [TIP] Backup/Restore user apps and data from old phone (without needing root)

If, like me, you're moving over to the One X from another ICS phone but don't want to root until it doesn't require htcdev.com, you can still backup/restore all your user apps and data from your old device to the One X without Titanium (which needs root) or MyBackup Pro (which costs money).

Firstly, you'll need to install the android sdk to get adb (Edit: And HTC Sync for the drivers). Once you have that, open a command prompt and cd to the adb folder, eg

Code:
cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools
Then run the following command

Code:
adb backup -apk -all -nosystem -f c:\backup.ab
(where -all is every app, -apk means to also include the apks and -nosystem ignores the system apps and data)

You'll need to confirm the backup on the device itself for it to start and, optionally, set an encryption password for the backup.

Once it's finished, plug the One X in, enable 'USB Debugging' in Settings -> Developer Options and then run

Code:
adb restore c:\backup.ab
...then, on the One X, enter your encryption password (if specified during backup) and confirm. Once it's finished, all the apps and data from your old phone will now be restored on the One X

Note: this feature of adb only works on ICS so you can't backup from previous android versions (although i haven't actually tried).

If the backup option doesn't exist in your adb, make sure you have the latest Android SDK
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to tombriden For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shirreer
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbriden View Post
If, like me, you're moving over to the One X ...
Badass tip... Thanks & Cheers

chowdarygm
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Supercool ... Thanks a ton

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Current device estate:
# Samsung Galaxy Note 3
# Samsung Galaxy Gear
# Sony Xperia Z1
# Sony SmartWatch 2
# Google Nexus 10
# Samsung Galaxy Note 2

SysC0n
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nice thank you!

leventccc
Old
Thanks Meter 428
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app
Nexus 4| Nexus 7 | HTC One
HTC Hero > Samsung Galaxy S > HTC One X > Nokia Lumia 920>HTC One X+> Nexus 4 + HTC One
[/CENTER]

theliquid
Old
(Last edited by theliquid; 7th May 2012 at 02:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 136
This method really rocks! Will try it very soon
Thank you!

Btw. does it also backup the user-settings of the apps?
Device: HTC Desire (PVT-1)
ROM: back to stable CM7.2 Nightly || Root: UnrEVOked || S-OFF: Alpharev
Device: HTC One X
S-ON. UNLOCKED.
Currently @ CM 10.1 RC4

Device: Asus Nexus 7
UNLOCKED. ROOTED.
Currently @ CM 10.1 RC4

Goku80
Old
Thanks Meter 6473
If i can also add a tip here to all those who are flashing custom roms and want to revert back to stock so they can do their OTA updates.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP your rom first before you start in the world of flashing custom roms. That way make sure you always have your BACKUP of stock and whenever you do update make sure you backup the updated rom. So if you are on 1.26 say BACKUP that rom and then flash whatever custom roms you want.

Then once your carrier releases a new update just simply return to the backup rom and follow the necessary steps to update the OTA. And then BACKUP that rom and then start again

So my tip. Always make sure you have a BACKUP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goku80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

casca
Old
Thanks Meter 66
damn... should of seen this before doing the titanium backup and nandroid on my other phone... tks mate! good tip

do you happen to know if there is a way of restoring a titanium backup without root?
the apps are easy, the data is the problem...
"Each device will only be as good as the developer(s) and community supporting it"

Current devices:
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 / Sony Xperia P

Previous devices:
HTC One X/Huawei Ideos X5 U8800/Nexus S/Htc Desire/ZTE Blade/Htc Legend/Hero/Tytn;Qtek 9100/9090;Nokia E52/5800XM/N82/6680/6630/6600/3330/3210;Panasonic GD50;Alcatel One Touch Easy

stm2008
Old
Thanks Meter 30
When I plug my HOX to my computer, my computer can't recognize it and it is shown as unknown device in device manager. I'm using latest android sdk but still can't update to the latest driver (no problem on my HD2), how can I solve it? Thx!

hetalmp
Old
Thanks Meter 16
That's a brilliant tip, now I have to restore my desire with ICS, titanium restore and backup using this to move to one x. Can anyone else confirm this works without any issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA