Jolla Tablet Announced: The Second Sailfish OS Device

A little over a year ago, Jolla released its first smartphone with the brand new Jolla … more

Android One Devices Get Unofficial CM12 Port

Android One was initially announced right before Android Lollipop. By releasing these cheap, yet … more

WhatsApp Decides to Protect Your Data

When Facebook bought WhatsApp for the absurdly large sum of $19bn back in February, they took the tech … more

Bring Back LTE on the Google Nexus 4 Running Lollipop

One of the predecessors of the latest, largest, and greatest Gooogle Nexus 6(theGoogle … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HELP! Motorola Photon Stuck on Starting RSD protocol support

OP Alex1123

6th April 2012, 04:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 146

610 posts
More
the Phone wont boot its not rooted or anything and i have no idea what to do i only root htc and samsung phones and ive never heard of RSD Protocol. Sprint is trying to tell me it needs to be replaced but i dont believe thats true. Is there any way to get the phone out of this mode? Any help is Appreciated
6th April 2012, 01:22 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,282

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
More
By not boot do you mean that when you try to turn it on nothing happens (no lights, no logo, nothing on the screen) or it boots but you see the motorola logo and "RSD" at the top of the screen? If you are seeing "RSD" at the top of the screen then you should be able to flash the phone.
  1. Go to the "Software version release history" section of my Motorola Photon Compendium.Download and unzip 2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6
  2. Go to the "Root/Unlock/Relock Method and Files" section. Download the "Root-Unlock-Relock Pack".
  3. Move the SUN-198_6 sbf that you extracted to the "SBF's" subfolder located in the "rsd" folder.
  4. In "rsd drivers" folder of the pack locate and install the appropriate drivers (32 or 64bit windows)
  5. Turn on your phone and connect it to you computer. Your computer will in detect and install the needed drivers
  6. Once your computer as finished install drivers launch RSD.exe located in the rsd folder.
  7. From here it should be pretty self explanatory.
6th April 2012, 05:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

610 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

By not boot do you mean that when you try to turn it on nothing happens (no lights, no logo, nothing on the screen) or it boots but you see the motorola logo and "RSD" at the top of the screen? If you are seeing "RSD" at the top of the screen then you should be able to flash the phone.

1. Go to the "Software version release history" section of my Motorola Photon Compendium.Download and unzip 2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6
  2. Go to the "Root/Unlock/Relock Method and Files" section. Download the "Root-Unlock-Relock Pack".
  3. Move the SUN-198_6 sbf that you extracted to the "SBF's" subfolder located in the "rsd" folder.
  4. In "rsd drivers" folder of the pack locate and install the appropriate drivers (32 or 64bit windows)
  5. Turn on your phone and connect it to you computer. Your computer will in detect and install the needed drivers
  6. Once your computer as finished install drivers launch RSD.exe located in the rsd folder.
  7. From here it should be pretty self explanatory.

The phone boots but it stays at the Motorola dual core technology screen and it says RSD protocol and battery is to low to flash. But ivee had it connected to the charger for hours. But I will try out what you said if sprint still refuses to fix it. Thank you for your response.
6th April 2012, 06:05 PM   |  #4  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1123

The phone boots but it stays at the Motorola dual core technology screen and it says RSD protocol and battery is to low to flash. But ivee had it connected to the charger for hours. But I will try out what you said if sprint still refuses to fix it. Thank you for your response.

Do Not flash with that battery low warning. Do this. Pull the battery, plug phone into your charger (USB to PC doesn't count), insert battery. Leave the phone alone for at least 3 hours. Press, do not hold down, the power button. The phone will display a charge level status. Once you have at least 70% charge, then start the rsd flashing not before.
6th April 2012, 06:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

610 posts
More
Thank you again for the help I will try this when i have the phone again right now its being checked out by sprint again.
6th April 2012, 06:15 PM   |  #6  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1123

Thank you again for the help I will try this when i have the phone again right now its being checked out by sprint again.

You are most likely wasting you time with a Sprint Service Center. I wrote the procedure for restoring/returning to stock via RSD and would receive tons of emails that were "I don't get it".
6th April 2012, 06:23 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

610 posts
More
oh turns out i do have the photon on me right now but one thing i noticed after the first time it was serviced by sprint is the power button doesnt click or anything. at the sprint repair center they took it apart and even made a call with it but put it back to RSD Protocol mode?? But im not the owner of the photon but im sure the power buttton is supposed to have some kind of feed back correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120406_122555.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	986697  
Last edited by Alex1123; 6th April 2012 at 06:31 PM.
9th April 2012, 02:47 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

610 posts
More
so after i took the phone to the repair center he thought i rooted it and installed something wrong but said ill replace it this time. Now ive never rooted it but it randomly booted into safe mode? but when i turned it off it wouldn't boot again and went right into starting RSD protocol support? i got a feeling that one of the buttons is stuck and when i boot it goes into this mode anyone else have any ideas why it might be doing this?
9th April 2012, 04:45 AM   |  #9  
Flag K-Falls
Thanks Meter: 2

32 posts
More

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using XDA
14th April 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
FWIW, I went through the same thing. Ended up sending mine to Motorola and they sent a replacement.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread