Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Best Micro SD Card/Class for ICS?

OP lynkdead

6th April 2012, 06:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12

33 posts
I'm looking at installing one of the ICS ROMs on my N1 pretty soon, but my current Micro SD card is a bit small and I want one that is fast and with a lot of storage.

My question is mainly in regards to Class. I know most people recommend Class 10 for everything, but I read something recently that was suggesting that Class 10 is best only for sequential file reads, and that if you wanted better Random Access time you'd want a lower Class card.

What Class works best for running ICS and apps from the SD card in general?
6th April 2012, 08:04 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 110

709 posts
More
I have a class 10 Lexar 32 GB myself, got it on Amazon during a sale. I run DK's BCM CM9. Everything is running nice and smooth for me.

After reading many threads I believe that Class 6 might be the sweet spot. Also be careful which brand. Shortlist a few cards and research them. Sandisk are probably one of the best. Personally I'm a fan of Kingston. There's also a good Amazon budget class 10 32GB that is said to work very well.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to cpm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th April 2012, 11:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

33 posts
Thanks, I checked out some benchmarks and the Lexar 32gb does seem to score consistently high on nearly everything (never top, but near the top more often than anything else). If I can't get some more definite answers it's likely what I'll go with if I can find it at a good price.
7th April 2012, 10:29 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,847

7,570 posts
More
Brand name is important, but some have to watch price. I had an A-Data class 6 that did fairly well, but not always 6mb. I now have an Amazon Basic 16gb/class 10. No name, but good reviews and is working fine. Have gotten up to 13mb on occassion. Good price.

ken
8th April 2012, 08:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

33 posts
Found this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post15269669

The info and benchmarks there appear to be saying that the Sandisk 32gb Class 4 is the best for running apps off the SD card, as it has the highest random access time. Class 10 is better for people doing larger file transfers. That said, the feedback I've seen seems to indicate that in reality there isn't that huge of a difference. I think I'll end up going with the Sandisk Class 4; if there is lag I would prefer it to be during large transfers than day-to-day operation.
9th April 2012, 11:53 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

37 posts
I use Samsung 32gb class 10 and it works perfect

Enviado desde mi Nexus One usando Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread