Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Micro SD Card/Class for ICS?

Tip us?

lynkdead
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Best Micro SD Card/Class for ICS?

I'm looking at installing one of the ICS ROMs on my N1 pretty soon, but my current Micro SD card is a bit small and I want one that is fast and with a lot of storage.

My question is mainly in regards to Class. I know most people recommend Class 10 for everything, but I read something recently that was suggesting that Class 10 is best only for sequential file reads, and that if you wanted better Random Access time you'd want a lower Class card.

What Class works best for running ICS and apps from the SD card in general?

cpm
Old
Thanks Meter 109
I have a class 10 Lexar 32 GB myself, got it on Amazon during a sale. I run DK's BCM CM9. Everything is running nice and smooth for me.

After reading many threads I believe that Class 6 might be the sweet spot. Also be careful which brand. Shortlist a few cards and research them. Sandisk are probably one of the best. Personally I'm a fan of Kingston. There's also a good Amazon budget class 10 32GB that is said to work very well.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA
Samsung Note 2 stock

Nexus One sporting BCM CM9 ICS. Thanks to dk_zero-cool

Vodafone 858 Smart / Huawei U8160 (CM7 unofficial)
The Following User Says Thank You to cpm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lynkdead
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks, I checked out some benchmarks and the Lexar 32gb does seem to score consistently high on nearly everything (never top, but near the top more often than anything else). If I can't get some more definite answers it's likely what I'll go with if I can find it at a good price.

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1686
Brand name is important, but some have to watch price. I had an A-Data class 6 that did fairly well, but not always 6mb. I now have an Amazon Basic 16gb/class 10. No name, but good reviews and is working fine. Have gotten up to 13mb on occassion. Good price.

ken
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer

lynkdead
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Found this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post15269669

The info and benchmarks there appear to be saying that the Sandisk 32gb Class 4 is the best for running apps off the SD card, as it has the highest random access time. Class 10 is better for people doing larger file transfers. That said, the feedback I've seen seems to indicate that in reality there isn't that huge of a difference. I think I'll end up going with the Sandisk Class 4; if there is lag I would prefer it to be during large transfers than day-to-day operation.

guille31794
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I use Samsung 32gb class 10 and it works perfect

Enviado desde mi Nexus One usando Tapatalk