Statutory Warning : This post is SUPER long! May cause delusions, dehydration, rage towards Motorola and/or VZW or depression! For those who can't withstand this post, skip to the end for a one line summary.
So it has been over 8, dreadful and painful months with the DX2. And to dull this pain, I had you guys to follow and read up on. Great devs and their ROMs, Pepperm1nt
(Oops, I dunno the name of the guy), Ryman222
for his Molten (which incidentally was my first ROM) and then comes mastafunk
and the one and only Dragonzkiller
!!! He was THE guy who let me have hope over the last few months (of course, with respect to my phone! If he was the sole reason I'd have hope in my life over the last few months then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with me...
There are many others like Moonshadow
(who was the inspiration for my BBB Moto attack), gaad0701
ad infinitum! All of you guys helped me have fun around in these forums and gave me numerous thanks as well. I am very grateful to you and will definitely miss you when I leave. So I'll still pop in every now and then so that I don't completely miss you guys!
Anyway, coming to the actual news! I got a Droid Incredible 2, currently being shipped by VZW with a back plate and a battery as well! Swell! Here is how this happened.
Over the last 1-2 weeks, I got very active in pursuing my Moto and VZW complaints. So, many phone calls, emails and chats have been exchanged. But in short, nothing significant emerged. Then I heard people complaining to VZW and getting a call from an engineer and being offered a Gnex!!!
Naturally, I was jealous, but also inspired and motivated to attack VZW to score a new phone.
I got a call from VZW in response to my online complaint. I seized this opportunity to get in touch with a Tech support rep and elaborated and bemoaned about my phone's countless issues. She was sympathetic and TRIED to check if I could possibly get a different phone. Unfortunately I couldn't. BUT she said something that intrigued me! She said that I did not hit the threshold that would make me eligible to getting a different phone. I was told that I needed to order ONE more DX2 replacement device before I can get a different phone. You see, I only ordered one replacement so far. So I hatched a plan.
I ordered a second replacement DX2 (making it the third DX2 I had, the first being the one I purchased and the second and third being the replacements). I ordered it yesterday and I received it today.
Then, I didn't waste anytime tinkering and checking this phone. Instead I activated it and immediately called VZW claiming that this phone had all the issues my previous 2 phones had as well. They lied to you (Moto and VZW) so why not you lie as well!
I told them I was not happy and that I was sure that getting another DX2 as a replacement will not help either as it seems to be an issue with all Droid X2's. I added that I was told if I had issues with this phone too, then they may be able to offer me a different model. She looked into it and said, YES, they can offer me a different model!!!
Huzzah! Success, finally!
I went through the process and was told that I can have either the HTC Dinc2, the Motorola Droid 3 or the older Samsung Fascinate. Samsung fascinate!? Bleh!
No thank you! Droid 3!!!???
Are you ****ing serious!!!??? It is like from one hell to another!!!
Not only does it have a locked Bootloader, but it is not even confirmed to get ICS as of now! Plus, I will not go for Droid 3, purely on moral and ethical grounds. I will NOT be doing business with a company that plainly doesn't give a **** about its customers, like Motorola!
On the other hand, HTC has unlocked the Bootloader for the Dinc2
AND it has added Dinc2 to its ICS upgrade list!!!
. Plus as per XDA forums, Dinc2 has LOADS of ICS ROMs. Now that is my sort of company!
So sign me up for a HTC Droid Incredible 2 I said to the customer care rep. And she did.
To others wanting to ditch this phone and get a new one like me, the following are some tips and tricks.
1. Complain to VZW. CALL Tech Support: 866-221-4096.
Tell them all the faults of your phone you can think of. Refer to this list if you need help : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=12
2. Tell them that you checked online forums and it appears that ALL DX2's have this problem. So, request them to give you a different device.
3. Now, if you had one or less replacements so far, you MAY not receive a different device. Still, try your best to push for it by stating the systematic issues with it and claiming that ALL DX2's have it. No harm in trying. If not, do what I did and order a replacement DX2 first. It won't cost you anything and you can order another replacement the very next day once you receive this one.
4. After you crossed the threshold of 2 or more replacements, repeat Step 1 and 2. Clearly mention that you have talked to a customer rep previously and that they told you that if you are still facing problems with the device, and if you have had significant replacements (the magic number is 2) then you can be considered/will be eligible to get a different device. Even though this may not have happened, the fact is true and I can confirm it. So, no harm in claiming that you were told as such. Repeat that you are sure and 100% positive that the problem won't be solved by a replacement DX2 and that you really want a different device.
5. After the VZW rep agrees, which I believe he/she will and should, go through your replacement options, choose the device you like best and proceed with ordering it as a replacement. Thank your lucky stars you reached this step. Go to your favorite church/temple/mosque/other spiritual place and pray/donate/do social or community service if you got REAL lucky and got a Gnex or may be even a Razr (though it is Craparola's Razr!!!)
6. Once your device arrives at home, close your eyes and return Craparola's DX2.
Sit back, relax and enjoy your new phone and the new found freedom it provides you!!!
Once again, I am glad I made SO many friends in this community. I am grateful for the entertainment, fun and thanks you guys gave me! I will pop in regularly and check up if Moto did anything right OR if you guys got CM9/ICS via DZK, some other dev or Moto!!!
May you survive this ****storm and hopefully emerge victorious by making Moto do what you want or be bailed out, like me, via VZW!
TL;DR? Well read this:
Pained by Motorola and its DX2, I got bailed by VZW. Got myself a HTC Droid Incredible 2, yippee and Woohoo!