Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: PDroid: do you want it?
Yes! I really want a rom with PDroid built in 46 86.79%
PDroid would be OK 3 5.66%
I don't care if PDroid is in a rom 3 5.66%
No. 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

[POLL] PDroid Permission Management: do you want it?

Tip us?

cashmundy
Old
(Last edited by cashmundy; 13th May 2012 at 01:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Default [POLL] PDroid Permission Management: do you want it?

UPDATE: PDROID NOW AVAILABLE VIA BOTBREW:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=10

First, for those who haven't heard about it:

PDroid

PDroid ICS Port

At this point, as far as I can tell, PDroid is only available as a patchset, not in any rom.

It looks like it is a lot more powerful than CM Permission Management.

The purpose of this poll is so Vibrant users can show interest in a rom with PDroid built in, hopefully motivating rom devs to add it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cashmundy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jellette
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1464

DONATE TO ME
I'll check this out tonight - looks interesting.

cashmundy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellette View Post
I'll check this out tonight - looks interesting.
I'm not set up to develop at present, but I'll try any CM or ICS open-source rom that has this built-in, or an open-source zip to hot-patch it into said roms.

c-pimp
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Yeah pdroid looks awesome! I asked about this in slim forum and cm forum somewhere around here but got no love lol... its really awesome permission management and if they add a firewall it would be a must need app that I would love to buy... you can use it with droidwall but it has leaks and allows access before it loads up on reboot... pdroid could block that from the start if it had a firewall incorporated tho... I look forward to the development of this awesome app.

c-pimp
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Looks like we might get a try ourselves with an ics patcher in the not so far off future

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

cashmundy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
An ICS patch does appear to be in the works.

As for CM, you're right, it will never have PDroid, and I'm really beginning to wonder if they will even bring any permission management into CM9. If you look at the PDroid patch, it's not a huge amount of code, meaning if Google wanted android to allow privacy, they would have added it long ago. But the frankly rather seedy business model of Google and many "free" app writers and Facebook is the harvesting and selling of personal information, and they apparently threatened to cut CM off from Market access if they added strong privacy.

Clearly the long-term solution is Google-free phones running Debian or Ubuntu, but until then, there's PDroid.

c-pimp
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Pdroid Linux patcher ported and working for aokp and cm9

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

cashmundy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-pimp View Post
Pdroid Linux patcher ported and working for aokp and cm9
Nice. Where?

closedcircuit
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Default Pdroid working for AOKP and CM9

PDroid is finally available for AOKP and CM9 on T959 Vibrant via botbrew. Follow instructions at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=123 big thanks to mateorod for porting it over.
1. Woodrube's guide on how to install ICS on the Vibrant
2. Mateorod's guide on how to install PDroid via botbrew on the T959 Vibrant
Please push thanks if i helped in any way!
Like my uploads? Help me get more space by signing up for Dropbox.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to closedcircuit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mateorod
Old
(Last edited by mateorod; 26th June 2012 at 04:39 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3506

DONATE TO ME
Hey guys-

UPDATE 6-5-12

I haven't had any requests for updated packages except for AOKP, so I can only confirm that AOKP Build 40 and CM7rc2 are currently supported! Any other ROMS are at your own risk! If you would like a ROM for vibrant or any other device to be supported, please post a request.

Okay, this is directions for PDroid support through Botbrew. Installing these packages over your nightlies will get PDroid working each time you flash, without having to patch every time. This way you can update your rom whenever you want.

Here is the XDA frontpage article about this exact process!

IMPORTANT: Eventually, the source code for these ROMs will change to a large enough degree that the packages won't work anymore! Just reflash the ROM and come report here at the thread. I will update the package as soon as possible (usually pretty damn soon, if I do say so myself...)

Directions
  1. Install Botbrew from Google Play
    Botbrew will bootstrap some packages necessary for its operation.
  2. Install package repository-mateorod and press the refresh button.
  3. There are three packages available at the moment for the Vibrant. Install the package that matches the ROM you are using.
    • android-framework-pdroid-cm9
      For Cyanogen9 ROMs
    • android-framework-pdroid-aokp
      For AOKP Milestone builds
    • android-framework-pdroid-aosp-gummy
      For Team Gummy AOSP builds
      New!
    • android-framework-pdroid-cm7.2final
      For CM7.2 Final!
    YOU MUST install the package that corresponds with your ROM, or it will result in bootloops!
  4. Reboot!
  5. Launch PDroid and configure.
That's it!

Note: You won't see any of the packages if you look while running CM7 due to an inconsistency in the cm7 build.prop.
If you have any questions about Botbrew or the process, here is a Q&A I have at the thread for my packages I host for the Nook Color.

If you have any questions about PDroid and the port to ICS, here is pastime1971's thread on the process. Thanks pastime!

Also thanks to c-pimp for the Team Gummy files! Also to svyat for PDroid and inportb for Botbrew!

cashmundy- could you maybe put a note in the OP about this being here? If you think I should start a new thread, I will. Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mateorod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
pdroid, permission management, permissions