XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Infuse i997 Take Apart Repair Guide

Tip us?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 715
Post Samsung Infuse i997 Take Apart Repair Guide

Does your outer touchscreen and inner LCD screen have damaged issue? Following this guide will help you take apart the Samsung Infuse i997 fairly easily in a step by step manner giving you a chance to replace faulty parts. Once you have replaced the parts you want, the guide can be used in reverse to put everything back together again.

This guide will help you to install the following Samsung Infuse i997 parts:
  • Samsung Infuse i997 LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • And Other Samsung Infuse i997 Parts

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips
  • Heat Gun / Hair Dryer

Samsung Infuse i997 take apart/repair guide:
  • To get in started, make sure that the device is off and remove the back battery cover. Also remove the battery, the memory card, and the sim card.
  • Now, we have six (6) small Phillips screws to remove as shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1
  • With the screws released, turn the phone over and use a safe open pry tool between the screen assembly and back housing.
  • Use a safe open pry tool as shown on Figure 2 to release the clips and remove the back housing.

Figure 2
  • We have two (2) small Phillips screws that need to be removed - located in orange in Figure 3. Use a safe open pry tool to release the four (4) pop connectors (red) on the motherboard.

Figure 3
  • You can now ease off the motherboard carefully, being sure not to rip any cables.
  • Now, use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the front housing. Use medium heat on the front of the screen, consistently moving around the screen edges. This should take no longer than 1 minute.
  • Use a safe open pry tool to release the screen assembly from the housing. Reheat if the adhesive is still strong.
  • Remove the screen from the housing and replace.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 715
We now have a downloadable version of this guide here - Samsung Infuse Screen Repair Guide
Repair Technician

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

electricpete1
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
We now have a downloadable version of this guide here - Samsung Infuse Screen Repair Guide
Thanks for the great info, Paul.

A question:

My Infuse has cracked glass, but LCD display working fine (just annoying to see lines from cracks in front of the display).

I see there is Infuse replacement glass sold for low price ($10-$15) but replacement LCD+glass together is much more ($150 IIRC).

Do you know if the glass can be replaced without replacing the LCD (re-use the old LCD unit)?
Or are they glued together as one unit which would prevent placing glass without replacing LCD unit?

qkster
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4508
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpete1 View Post

A question:

My Infuse has cracked glass, but LCD display working fine (just annoying to see lines from cracks in front of the display).

I see there is Infuse replacement glass sold for low price ($10-$15) but replacement LCD+glass together is much more ($150 IIRC).

Do you know if the glass can be replaced without replacing the LCD (re-use the old LCD unit)?
Or are they glued together as one unit which would prevent placing glass without replacing LCD unit?
From what I have read, replacing the glass only is neigh impossible with high risk of damaging the lcd digitizer.
There may be some older threads in the q/a. Dani897 has some experiences. Maybe pm him. I've seen old infuse for 125-145 on cl. Why buy a digitizer for more?

Sent from my Adam using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to qkster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpete1 View Post

A question:

Hi,

The screen CAN NOT be replaced successfully without replacing the whole screen (both touch screen and LCD together). These are fused together on this model. You will need full Samsung Infuse Screen Replacement
Repair Technician

The Following User Says Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nv_ram82
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Hi My Samsung infuse I997 4G 's touch and display is damaged May I know how much doe

Hi My Samsung infuse I997 4G 's touch and display is damaged May I know how much does it cost in India
I live in hyderabad

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv_ram82 View Post
Hi My Samsung infuse I997 4G 's touch and display is damaged May I know how much does it cost in India
I live in hyderabad
We can ship to India now using our 3rd party shipper. For accurate pricing use our checkout and put in your full address.

You can find the part you need here - Samsung Infuse Screen Replacement
Repair Technician

Dani897
Old
Thanks Meter 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkster View Post
From what I have read, replacing the glass only is neigh impossible with high risk of damaging the lcd digitizer.
There may be some older threads in the q/a. Dani897 has some experiences. Maybe pm him. I've seen old infuse for 125-145 on cl. Why buy a digitizer for more?

Sent from my Adam using xda app-developers app
i had a bad experience with a vendor and the part i got was no good, vendor wanted the part shipped back before they would send another. photos of the faulty screen apparently wasn't enough, ugh, not to mention the months it took to ship from china so i got another phone. there have also been some complaints about insurance screen repairs being faulty but it's hard to say if that's the norm. i have a suspicion that all the available screens are from chinese vendors and may have quality issues but i guess that's just an opinion

the glass will likely break on removal of the old screen, be liberal with the heat gun, but frankly it's easier to get a new phone, for $180 you can find another infuse and probably an i777 if you look hard enough and if you are an infuse owner you are may be getting near upgrade time in a few months so could a lesser replacement phone hold you off till then?.

i also think samsung will replace your screen cheaper than you can buy one if you care to mail it in.

amith12
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It is possible to replace just the touchscreen digitizer for this model?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by amith12 View Post
It is possible to replace just the touchscreen digitizer for this model?
I highly suggest using a full screen assembly as it would make your repair so much easier and reduce the risk of damaging your lcd during the separation process.
Repair Technician

Tags
infuse 4g, repair, samsung, screen assembly, screen repair