[NIGHTLY/KERNEL][USER] UNOFFICIAL CM9 + 3.0.x Kernel for K-Fire [3.0.31+ 06-28]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hey Hash,

What do you mean by automated build? Just compiling from the latest sources using your local_manifest?

If so then this works fine including the automated kernel build - I'm building my own slightly modified kangs since quite some time without any issues. I also now forked your android_frameworks_base repo (and merged in the latest CM changes) to get the volume slider and remove bluetooth + notifications toggle.

All works like a charm ... thanks so much for your work.

Yes. Mostly this was to make sure the source could be pulled down and built in a nightly format. I'm still figuring out how to get our status bar into the build w/o manual modifications, until CM merges in some more notification bar changes.

Another note: there's no need to reapply google apps when flashing this, the CM release tools copy them out and back in after the flash is applied.

But obviously that needs a bit of testing as well. I did wipe Dalvik just in case when I was testing.

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

scidon37

Feb 20, 2011
So are Bluetooth and notification toggles supposed to be gone in the build 8 rom? Because they're still there for me. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to remove Bluetooth and Airplane Mode toggles? Leave notification toggle there, that's actually useful.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

iesvs

Jan 15, 2011
Yes. Mostly this was to make sure the source could be pulled down and built in a nightly format. I'm still figuring out how to get our status bar into the build w/o manual modifications, until CM merges in some more notification bar changes.

Another note: there's no need to reapply google apps when flashing this, the CM release tools copy them out and back in after the flash is applied.

But obviously that needs a bit of testing as well. I did wipe Dalvik just in case when I was testing.

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

Quick question: I noticed you mention Google Apps carry over after the new install. Does everything else if I just reboot and flash?

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011

Yes, I can confirm that there's no need anymore to re-flash gapps - flashed numerous builds without re-flashing gapps. I assume your recent releasetools/backuptool changes now take care of this.

embhorn

Apr 28, 2012
I have a new full ROM build which includes the #8 kernel and the volume mod up on rombot here:

Note that this was more of a test than anything, to see how an automated build would look.

I'm still working on the kernel, etc.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Serious props, sir. Thanks for your hard work.

Noob question. The Google play (store) app crashes, as well as all gapps. Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected behavior at this point?

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Serious props, sir. Thanks for your hard work.

Noob question. The Google play (store) app crashes, as well as all gapps. Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected behavior at this point?

I would try wiping dalvik cache/standard cache when I read about stuff like this.

Definitely not expected behavior.

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
So are Bluetooth and notification toggles supposed to be gone in the build 8 rom? Because they're still there for me. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to remove Bluetooth and Airplane Mode toggles? Leave notification toggle there, that's actually useful.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

For me, this CM build needs to be as stock as possible. Other devs can take the base and make more modifications but for official support, we need to have a fully operational stock build.

Bluetooth toggle would be useful for those testing out USB Bluetooth adapters.

android2

Jul 15, 2010
Great!:p
Wifi can work perfectly in 4/28 kernel,
but OTG only can work for mouse.
Another devices like Keyboard and USB stick can not be identified successfully!:(

BananaFusion

Apr 5, 2012
I tried installing hulu+ earlier today and go a message afterwards from the app when I ran it saying my device isn't supported. I have used it on other roms so I am guessing this is a bug.

Has anyone figured out this issue? I'm running Hashcodes latest ROM (from today) with the latest kernel (#8), but when I run Hulu+, I get "Device not supported [142] We're sorry, but video playback on this device is not currently supported"

Netflix and Youtube HD both work great, and this it the last key thing I'm looking for in running ICS. Anyone have any idea on how to fix it? Searching through the threads hasn't brought up anything, so I apologize if I missed something simple.

milanche

Jul 11, 2007
Bled
Now that kernel 3.0 is shaping up towards final release, with HWA, OC, USB host, etc. more or less supported, I just wanted to bring your attention also to the possibility of supporting and using external microphone using headset with 4-connector TRRS plug.

There's been discussion on the forum regarding this, some claimed they have it working, as I can remember mostly on CM7 and rooted stock ROMs.

So here I would throw in my 2 requests/questions for our great developers & ROM builders:
  1. Is audio recording supported in kernel 3.0 (and has anybody sucessfully used this function on an ICS ROM)?
  2. If it is or if we get it working, would it be possible to mimic external mic as an internal, so we could use VOiP apps like Skype (Skype won't work if device hasn't got an internal mic, as I've read)?

I do have a Blackberry 4-connector headset and wasn't yet successful at getting this to work (mic input / audio recording) on any ICS ROM, with old or with the new kernel.

I'm having a felling that we want already to much out of our devices, but let's not settle for less ;-) ... This community turned our eBook readers into a great multimedia ICS devices. Thank you guys for all you've done and will be doing!

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
otg works good for me:) mouse/keyboard/32gflashdrive/ (must have powered usb hub & stick mount)
blue tooth still picked up but no activation through toggle yet.

http://db.tt/rJOgONIe

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

kraftwerk2020

Apr 9, 2010
Minneapolis
Hash,

If this is how the way the kernel acts is there a way for you to make this change in your kernel? Because, playing it extra safe is probably fine for the desktop but it might help make devices that are close work.

Not really, its just how USB works... the device is designed around a power requirement, so that's what it requests.
However, there is a quirk in the Linux kernel that takes the device's power requirement and doubles it as a safety check for devices that have bad power descriptions, which doesn't work quite well with small OTG capable devices where a port can only supply so much.
That's what I changed in my kernel above.

afu1979

Mar 28, 2007
I don't want to clutter up the Dev thread so hopefully the right people see this.

VPN's still are not working with ICS with the new 3.0 kernel. Would love it if someone could get that working. It's sort of a bug, but after searching it looks like nobody is really wanting to use it apart from me.

Same Issue here. I did a bit of research on it. My setup is a simple PPTP VPN. I had my sys admin check the networking logs and the firewall is reporting that the GRE packets are not reaching the VPN server. We did a test on the internal network and my 2.3 phone could connect on the same network so it doesn't appear to be related to the firewalls on my network.

I have tried it on a previous versions with no luck. Now I am on 3.0.21+ and it is still not working.

abarax

Jan 5, 2012
ADB not detecting device

Following an extensive search, both on Google and throughout the xda Kindle Fire threads, I've come to the conclusion that ADB simply cannot function in my PC environment with this kernel. Yes, I've followed all of the rudimentary steps (verified drivers installed, USB debugging enabled, tried both Mass Storage and MTP, etc.), but found no success. ADB works perfectly with rooted stock, MoDaCo, and CM7 on my Windows 7 x64 machine, but not with any version of CM9 possessing Hashcode's kernel as of 4/30. At this point, I'm at a loss for any additional steps.

Is there something I'm missing? Any additional steps not listed here or elsewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regionativo

Sep 17, 2010
Is anyone else experiencing chrome crashing when starting? It was working a few kernels back but not anymore, if known issue please disregard I tried to find a reference to no avail

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW KERNEL IS CHARGING. OS DOESN'T SHOW THE CHARGING ICON.
    Make sure when you plug in to check the Settings -> Battery screen and see "Charging"

06-28: KERNEL.ZIP #13 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): REMOVED TEMP
    (Recompiling w/o Linaro for compatibility)
    md5sum: a16c281fa3dbe0962c6dc2c03e6df5bc
    Full ROM: http://bit.ly/NaD2vW
    md5sum: d9dfe6f5f97eadbeaecc86d0314cb80e
    - Mainline Linux 3.0.31 updates
    - TI kernel 3.0.21 branch updates
    - [ROM-Only] Now w/ "OtterParts where the touchscreen filter setting can be set (0 as default, but 30 is very usable) -- (Scott Brady)
    - Built using Linaro toolchain
    - Added KRAIT optimizations (not sure how effective yet) (twa_priv)

NOTE: I haven't adjusted the nightly server to use the 3.0.31 kernel OR Linaro yet. This is the only ROM link I've built with it in it.

[06-27-2012] UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY SERVER IS RUNNING:
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    GApps: http://goo.im/gapps (4/29 is the latest in the CM9 row)
    These builds are using a stock framework which includes the volume slider mod. It's kept up-to-date by twa_priv.

STEPS FOR UPDATING:
    1. Download .zip file from the nightly server and place on your device
    2. Reboot into recovery and apply .zip
    3. If coming from any ROM which is not CM9 please wipe data/cache/Dalvik Cache
    4. Reboot and enjoy

LATEST CHANGES:
    [06-26-2012] Added sbradymobile's touch filter patch + OtterParts for controlling the filter level (30 recommended, default as 0 for now) (under Settings -> Advanced) [THANKS!]

SOLO KERNEL NOTES:

06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)

TROUBLESHOOTING FOR USB not being recognized in Windows 7 (while the Kindle is *NOT* plugged into computer):
    - Open Device Manager
    - Right-click your computer name and select "Show Hidden Devices"
    - The top device group should be: Android device(or phone): under it "Android ADB Composite device"
    - Right-click on that and select uninstall
    - Now plug the Kindle back into the computer and let driver re-install

IF FOR SOME REASON WIFI DOESN'T WORK ON THE FIRST BOOTUP DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Enter Terminal Emulator
    Type: su
    Type: fix-mac.sh
    Exit Terminal Emulator
    Reboot

THIS ROM SHOWS OFF HOW WELL ICS CAN RUN ON THE KINDLE FIRE.
    ** READY FOR DAILY USE **

If I had just installed this ROM and I wanted to see something that might not work in the stock-kernel based ICS ROM, then I'd try the following:
    - Install "Chrome Beta" from the market and test it out.
    - Audio is more stable.
    - Launcher is smoother due to full PVR graphic support
    - Try YouTube!

For user support, look to this thread! Please keep discussion here as to what works and what doesn't, etc.
    06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)
    I think we can safely agree that the charger driver has issues and it's being worked on. And that each user should ensure that their device charges correctly without the aid of seeing the charging icon in the status bar.

The details are really irrelevant.

ONCE AGAIN KEEP IT CIVIL. WHICH MEANS: don't accuse each other of lying, call each other names, or use otherwise inflammatory remarks.

While rude and insensitive, its also mucking up my thread which is supposed to be a useful resource.

I say this as someone who religiously pages through almost every thread in this area and often could respond badly to poorly worded kernel demands, etc. It doesn't take much to turn a well intentioned post into something worse. And sometimes its due to language barriers or other issues which are beyond control.

A thick skin is almost a requirement in any public forum setting.

/rant

On a side note the new driver is working with the OS: I get a charging icon when plugging in. Now on to removing the extra battery device, fixing suspend and a pleathora of mode switch issues.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    TEST BUILD #3 IS READY HERE: http://bit.ly/IShcSq

There are 2 changes for this build:
    - HW Codecs are now working.
    - Kernel included in this build is running "silicon type performance" mode. Meaning it's a stock overclock to 1.2 Ghz. Please test this as well.

If you have ANY issues with the 1.2 Ghz speed and want to step back down to 1.0 Ghz do the following:
    - Enter "Settings"
    - Choose "Performance" (at the bottom)
    - Click "Ok"
    - Select "Processor" (the first item on the right)
    - Choose "Maximum CPU frequency"
    - Set this to 1008
    - Then check the "Set on boot" option
    05-10: KERNEL.ZIP #9 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/Iz9J4s
    md5sum bb453c85f7155cea3fab1c83cae65c73
    [ FULL STOCK CM9 ROM AVAILABLE HERE: http://bit.ly/JC6UBT ]
    md5sum 0d7677af67501b0f467130016fb1f928
    - updated PVR/graphics drivers for bugfix (same version 1.8@869593): fixes slight text corruption in at 270 degree rotation and memory leak
    - cleanup work on backlight driver, still flashes on resume slightly (Icemank121)
    - cpu governor: conservative cherry-pick improvment patches (Entropy512)
    - [ROM ONLY] Wifi netloc (GPS) working! (Entrophy512)
    - wifi .ini file change to TQS_S_2.6.ini (doesn't have 5ghz settings like the other)
    - [ROM ONLY] Volume increase (Kuzma30), updated CM9 build, reboot recovery fix, included volume slider, and commented out "survey data missing!" in wpa_supplicant_8, higher quality bootanimation

DEV NOTES: ROM Build is now fixed so that PVR modules are built with the kernel.