5,597,871 Members 38,501 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to break the phone completely

Tip us?

ben_pyett
Old
(Last edited by ben_pyett; 10th April 2012 at 12:07 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1849
I wouldn't consider any method involving water, as the phone has at least one moisture detection strip inside it

Just cross your fingers and then Send it back and hope they fix it

unless you want a lump of flaming plastic avoid the microwave

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim
Nexus 5 : hammerhead
Rom (Kernel): Cataclysm 4.4.2 [Dec 12, 2013] (Franco [#r45.2 test]) root: [superSU v1.93]
Nexus 4 : mako
Rom (Kernel): AOKP_ROM 4.3.1 [#aokp_mako_jb-mr2_2013-11-14] (Franco [#r193-JWR])
Retired - HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs

WStealth
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.TS.HTC View Post
I'm not entirely sure that blaming HTC for this is exactly fair. Yes, the eMMC issue does catch a few people - but not many as a percentage. However, you chose to root your phone, despite all the very clear warnings that it would invalidate the warranty if anything went wrong.

I, and I suspect many others here, also made that choice - knowing that the benefits of rooting were huge and that the risks were worth it. I was one of the very first to root as I bought an XTC Clip before there was any software way of achieving S-Off - so I knew damn well that if I screwed up I had lost everything. If I had done then I wouldn't have dreamed of blaming HTC for what I had done.
I'm totally agree with you.

mynameisnafe
Old
Thanks Meter 3
MICROWAVE IT LIKE A GREMLIN LOL

Sent from my LT18i using XDA
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S - FXP/CM10

shaggyskunk
Old
Thanks Meter 3792
I'd imagine that if someone got a usb charging cable... Cut the insulation off part of the cable.... Plugged it into a phone.. & electric outlet... Pour some (VERY LITTLE) water on the broken cable... The short should fry the phone... DON'T DO THIS! DON'T BE IN BARE FEET! WEAR RUBBER SOLE SHOES!

Sent From my Two Tin Cans & String Device on The Wookie Network

djisgod
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyskunk View Post
I'd imagine that if someone got a usb charging cable... Cut the insulation off part of the cable.... Plugged it into a phone.. & electric outlet... Pour some (VERY LITTLE) water on the broken cable... The short should fry the phone... DON'T DO THIS! DON'T BE IN BARE FEET! WEAR RUBBER SOLE SHOES!

your advising him to pour water on a live exposed wire? yeah thats not a good idea if you like being alive.

shaggyskunk
Old
Thanks Meter 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by djisgod View Post
your advising him to pour water on a live exposed wire? yeah thats not a good idea if you like being alive.
I'm NOT advising anyone to do anything!

I'm just imagining what might happen to a phone ... If that happened.
Obviously, no one would be standing in the water.. And if the outlet has GFCI, like most bathroom outlets, the person would be protected...
Ever see a microwave explode... Gee, that's safe??!

djsubtronic
Old
Thanks Meter 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyskunk View Post
I'm NOT advising anyone to do anything!

I'm just imagining what might happen to a phone ... If that happened.
Obviously, no one would be standing in the water.. And if the outlet has GFCI, like most bathroom outlets, the person would be protected...
Ever see a microwave explode... Gee, that's safe??!

Nothing would happen. The amount of current going through the USB cable is very minimal. Assuming that the water would even short it to begin with, nothing would happen to the phone at all since the short would cause the current to go back into the adapter, it won't even reach the phone. The adapter would most likely cut out the power supply going into the USB upon experiencing a short and go into safety mode until it is unplugged for a minute or so.

mouzzza
Old
Thanks Meter 16
If you have the time to wait, do not send your device untill HTC is giving out update to ICS. There they will get back more devices bricked throug updating (Problem with syncing more than one app at once in market, ...)!
Device.....: HTC Desire S (S-OFF with revolutionary)
HBOOT....: 7.00.1002 Reengineered
Recovery.: 4ext Recovery Touch 1.0.0.5 RC6 (4ext Recovery Control 2.4.2)
ROM.........: MIUIv4.0 2.10.26
Radio.......: 20.71.30.0833U_3831.17.00.16_M
Kernel......: Amidabuddhas "Tweaked 8.5 Experimental"

The holy INDEX <-- all you need for DesireS

dan-fish
Old
Thanks Meter 414
I've sent mine back and it came back fully repaired. No costs, water or microwaves necessary.

Just make sure not to send the battery or sd card.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan-fish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djisgod
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fish View Post
I've sent mine back and it came back fully repaired. No costs, water or microwaves necessary.

Just make sure not to send the battery or sd card.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
the best advice in this thread,why people are offering such idiotic advice is beyond me.

The Following User Says Thank You to djisgod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]