Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,506 Members 39,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Internal-External Memory Swap: useful or not?

Tip us?

yewsiong
Old
Thanks Meter 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post
Which solution do you mean......

see yewsiong post here
I think he meant without swapping, external sd can still be used as data, music, pics, etc. storage.

a.fontenele
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Go for it!

IMHO I see no cons whatsoever in performing the SD Card swap, just pros. I got my 32Gb Class 10 just for the swap... Check my signature links to see what I've done to my SGW...

[.::MDT::.]
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.fontenele View Post
IMHO I see no cons whatsoever in performing the SD Card swap, just pros. I got my 32Gb Class 10 just for the swap... Check my signature links to see what I've done to my SGW...
Hi,
I followed the method outlined in your signature (http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70) and now I can see about 15GB (I have a 16GB class 10 SD) available for apps on SD.

However, when I try to move an app to the SD by using App2SD, the app doesn't go to the 15GB partition. How do you do?

Thanks a lot.

a.fontenele
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by [.::MDT::.] View Post
Hi,
I followed the method outlined in your signature (http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70) and now I can see about 15GB (I have a 16GB class 10 SD) available for apps on SD.

However, when I try to move an app to the SD by using App2SD, the app doesn't go to the 15GB partition. How do you do?

Thanks a lot.
Yeah... This is something I haven't found a solution for. Whenever you try to move an app, it goes to the USB Storage. Since we swapped memories, the app will be moved to the 1.7GB memory. For me it'd be great to have everything in the Micro SD card, the 1.7 GB memory is useless to me...

Old
(Last edited by [.::MDT::.]; 17th July 2012 at 01:37 PM.) Reason: correction
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.fontenele View Post
Yeah... This is something I haven't found a solution for. Whenever you try to move an app, it goes to the USB Storage. Since we swapped memories, the app will be moved to the 1.7GB memory. For me it'd be great to have everything in the Micro SD card, the 1.7 GB memory is useless to me...

Yeah, that's a real pity!

I wonder what's the point of doing so, if the memory available for the apps still remains the 1,7GB partition... why swapping partitions then?

Do you have any idea if there is any ROM that lets you install apps in the "bigger partition" (the 14,3 GB according to the example above) or are you aware of any other possible solution?

Thanks.

irishpancake
Old
(Last edited by irishpancake; 17th July 2012 at 03:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by [.::MDT::.] View Post
Yeah, that's a real pity!

I wonder what's the point of doing so, if the memory available for the apps still remains the 1,7GB partition... why swapping partitions then?

Do you have any idea if there is any ROM that lets you install apps in the "bigger partition" (the 14,3 GB according to the example above) or are you aware of any other possible solution?

Thanks.
But, as I said before here ad nauseam, the External Physical SD Card is where Apps moved by App2SD are designed to go......so before doing a vold.fstab mount point swap, ppl should ask themselves.......

Do I really need a gigantic Internal USB Storage at [/mnt/sdcard], for what reason do I need this??

I think myself, that this is only useful for those who require to have Storage requirements for certain Games and GPS Maps Storage, etc, which do not have a built-in ability to store data on the External Physical SD Card [/mount/sdcard/external_sd]....but there are other ways to achieve this!!!

BTW, the Tutorial linked http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70 is by Eric Pīgoznis, who posted here in the very early days!!!

Old
(Last edited by [.::MDT::.]; 17th July 2012 at 05:35 PM.) Reason: correction
Thanks Meter 44
First of all, thanks a lot for your answer!

Quote:
But, as I said before here ad nauseam, the External Physical SD Card is where Apps moved by App2SD are designed to go......so before doing a vold.fstab mount point swap, ppl should ask themselves.......

Do I really need a gigantic Internal USB Storage at [/mnt/sdcard], for what reason do I need this??

I think myself, that this is only useful for those who require to have Storage requirements for certain Games and GPS Maps Storage, etc, which do not have a built-in ability to store data on the External Physical SD Card [/mount/sdcard/external_sd]....but there are other ways to achieve this!!!
Yep, that's exactly what I would like to have!
I bought a 16GB card to install many maps and games, but I quickly ran out of memory so I cannot add anymore apps (without removing already installed apps of course).
That's why I would like to use my SD card for apps - if possible of course!
And it's a pity I have 15GB free (for what? Just my music/video/pictures?) and I cannot use this space for apps.

What are the other ways to achieve this you mentioned?
It'd be really helpful!

Quote:
BTW, the Tutorial linked http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70 is by Eric Pīgoznis, who posted here in the very early days!!!
Yes, I found the same instructions on this forum, you're right...

Dhada
Old
Thanks Meter 56

DONATE TO ME
Default hmm

Swapping Internal/External is the most important for those HD gamers

Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhada View Post
Swapping Internal/External is the most important for those HD gamers

I agree... any news about that then?

Thanks a lot!