Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Internal-External Memory Swap: useful or not?

OP eletto1987

14th April 2012, 05:33 PM   |  #11  
Flag Johor
Thanks Meter: 279

520 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpancake

Which solution do you mean......

see yewsiong post here

I think he meant without swapping, external sd can still be used as data, music, pics, etc. storage.
15th May 2012, 04:28 AM   |  #12  
Flag Sao Paulo
Thanks Meter: 21

191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Go for it!
IMHO I see no cons whatsoever in performing the SD Card swap, just pros. I got my 32Gb Class 10 just for the swap... Check my signature links to see what I've done to my SGW...
17th July 2012, 10:09 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 45

306 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.fontenele

IMHO I see no cons whatsoever in performing the SD Card swap, just pros. I got my 32Gb Class 10 just for the swap... Check my signature links to see what I've done to my SGW...

Hi,
I followed the method outlined in your signature (http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70) and now I can see about 15GB (I have a 16GB class 10 SD) available for apps on SD.

However, when I try to move an app to the SD by using App2SD, the app doesn't go to the 15GB partition. How do you do?

Thanks a lot.
17th July 2012, 01:24 PM   |  #14  
Flag Sao Paulo
Thanks Meter: 21

191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Angry
Quote:
Originally Posted by [.::MDT::.]

Hi,
I followed the method outlined in your signature (http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70) and now I can see about 15GB (I have a 16GB class 10 SD) available for apps on SD.

However, when I try to move an app to the SD by using App2SD, the app doesn't go to the 15GB partition. How do you do?

Thanks a lot.

Yeah... This is something I haven't found a solution for. Whenever you try to move an app, it goes to the USB Storage. Since we swapped memories, the app will be moved to the 1.7GB memory. For me it'd be great to have everything in the Micro SD card, the 1.7 GB memory is useless to me...
17th July 2012, 02:34 PM   |  #15  

306 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.fontenele

Yeah... This is something I haven't found a solution for. Whenever you try to move an app, it goes to the USB Storage. Since we swapped memories, the app will be moved to the 1.7GB memory. For me it'd be great to have everything in the Micro SD card, the 1.7 GB memory is useless to me...

Yeah, that's a real pity!

I wonder what's the point of doing so, if the memory available for the apps still remains the 1,7GB partition... why swapping partitions then?

Do you have any idea if there is any ROM that lets you install apps in the "bigger partition" (the 14,3 GB according to the example above) or are you aware of any other possible solution?

Thanks.
Last edited by [.::MDT::.]; 17th July 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correction
17th July 2012, 04:24 PM   |  #16  
Flag Small Village
Thanks Meter: 284

718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [.::MDT::.]

Yeah, that's a real pity!

I wonder what's the point of doing so, if the memory available for the apps still remains the 1,7GB partition... why swapping partitions then?

Do you have any idea if there is any ROM that lets you install apps in the "bigger partition" (the 14,3 GB according to the example above) or are you aware of any other possible solution?

Thanks.

But, as I said before here ad nauseam, the External Physical SD Card is where Apps moved by App2SD are designed to go......so before doing a vold.fstab mount point swap, ppl should ask themselves.......

Do I really need a gigantic Internal USB Storage at [/mnt/sdcard], for what reason do I need this??

I think myself, that this is only useful for those who require to have Storage requirements for certain Games and GPS Maps Storage, etc, which do not have a built-in ability to store data on the External Physical SD Card [/mount/sdcard/external_sd]....but there are other ways to achieve this!!!

BTW, the Tutorial linked http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70 is by Eric Pīgoznis, who posted here in the very early days!!!
Last edited by irishpancake; 17th July 2012 at 04:31 PM.
17th July 2012, 06:29 PM   |  #17  

306 posts
More
First of all, thanks a lot for your answer!

Quote:

But, as I said before here ad nauseam, the External Physical SD Card is where Apps moved by App2SD are designed to go......so before doing a vold.fstab mount point swap, ppl should ask themselves.......

Do I really need a gigantic Internal USB Storage at [/mnt/sdcard], for what reason do I need this??

I think myself, that this is only useful for those who require to have Storage requirements for certain Games and GPS Maps Storage, etc, which do not have a built-in ability to store data on the External Physical SD Card [/mount/sdcard/external_sd]....but there are other ways to achieve this!!!

Yep, that's exactly what I would like to have!
I bought a 16GB card to install many maps and games, but I quickly ran out of memory so I cannot add anymore apps (without removing already installed apps of course).
That's why I would like to use my SD card for apps - if possible of course!
And it's a pity I have 15GB free (for what? Just my music/video/pictures?) and I cannot use this space for apps.

What are the other ways to achieve this you mentioned?
It'd be really helpful!

Quote:

BTW, the Tutorial linked http://latgale.co.uk/?p=70 is by Eric Pīgoznis, who posted here in the very early days!!!

Yes, I found the same instructions on this forum, you're right...
Last edited by [.::MDT::.]; 17th July 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: correction
18th July 2012, 02:33 AM   |  #18  
Flag Philippines
Thanks Meter: 56

347 posts
Donate to Me
More
hmm
Swapping Internal/External is the most important for those HD gamers
18th July 2012, 05:51 PM   |  #19  

306 posts
More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhada

Swapping Internal/External is the most important for those HD gamers

I agree... any news about that then?

Thanks a lot!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread