Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

crazy testers needed

OP championswimmer

4th May 2012, 11:42 AM   |  #11  
OmegaRED^'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 608
 
2,702 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAL333

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to buy a powered one? But it does remind me of how pissed off I was as a kid when I ordered a Sinclair ZX81 kit to build and the bloody idiots sent me an assembled unit instead at no additional charge. Useless.

Usb connection needs to be modded to micro usb either way.
I had ZX81.. such a awesome toy and tool.
Last edited by OmegaRED^; 4th May 2012 at 11:49 AM.
5th May 2012, 07:19 PM   |  #12  
HeliumX10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Psáry, Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 112
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Hey all,

I have all the nessesary hardware - DIY battery powered hub module with PWM power.Works fine on some other devices, not on X10.
It is because I was making a lot of developing and experiments with otg mode on X10 (X10 schematics helped). I have also built kernel modules, loaded them succesfully, but nothing else - logcat or dmesg didnt see anything and no errors returned (stick,HDD,mouse,keyboard...).

So, i could be volunteer, because I am interested of it, and slso have hardware and software skills

BTW.: I am also very curious about new ideas in otg X10
5th May 2012, 07:45 PM   |  #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliumX10

Hey all,

I have all the nessesary hardware - DIY battery powered hub module with PWM power.Works fine on some other devices, not on X10.
It is because I was making a lot of developing and experiments with otg mode on X10 (X10 schematics helped). I have also built kernel modules, loaded them succesfully, but nothing else - logcat or dmesg didnt see anything and no errors returned (stick,HDD,mouse,keyboard...).

So, i could be volunteer, because I am interested of it, and slso have hardware and software skills

BTW.: I am also very curious about new ideas in otg X10

try using my v5 kCernel
(you'll have to use fxp cm7 rom along with it )

it has usb otg enabled in kernel

Sent from my X10S using xda premium
5th May 2012, 10:50 PM   |  #14  
HeliumX10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Psáry, Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 112
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Ou... see that it requires unlocked bootloader

Sorry, is there any other solution how to get this kernel working? I. e. source code which can allow me to build locked bootloader kernel image?

And for your information, in kernel page (from your signature) version 5, link for wifi modules is dead , says file not found.
5th May 2012, 11:31 PM   |  #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliumX10

Ou... see that it requires unlocked bootloader

Sorry, is there any other solution how to get this kernel working? I. e. source code which can allow me to build locked bootloader kernel image?

And for your information, in kernel page (from your signature) version 5, link for wifi modules is dead , says file not found.

will try to build locked bl kernel for you...

for file download see my signature, there is dev host mirror and direct link both... (look inside x10 folder inside kernels)

Sent from my X10S using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to championswimmer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2012, 10:48 AM   |  #16  
HeliumX10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Psáry, Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 112
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by championswimmer

will try to build locked bl kernel for you...

for file download see my signature, there is dev host mirror and direct link both... (look inside x10 folder inside kernels)

Sent from my X10S using xda premium


Anyway thanks for even try ! Good luck

(TX pressed )
8th May 2012, 02:02 AM   |  #17  
Senior Member
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 53
 
144 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Question
I've been experminetning hoping i'd get anything to show up in the kernel logs when attempting to connect something to the port.

However, even if the chip itself does support this, I start to believe the circuit board simply isn't wired up to function in this way.

Now think about it: Why would SE put the extra circuitry in (even if themselves are rather primitive), if they never planned to include it in the first place?


What I've done so far:
Made a simple adapter based on a experiment board with two USB connectors, and a DC in jack that supplies both connectors with 5 volts, that charges the phone, provides the common ground and supplies the gadget one connects (In my case a simple USB flash memory)
I tested this adapter on another device that does support USB on the Go, or what it's called. It works.

Even if a kernel doesn't support the device itself, the log will show signs that an unknown device is connected, which is good enough for me, as confirms the hardware works.

Now onto the X10:
Tried the ROM FreeXperia FXP117, with the kernel from FXP115, as is. dmesg gives no result at all. Also tried flipping around the data + and -, no result. Device is charging, bu nothing else.

Tried the kCernels, from the link provided by the OP in the first post.
While I had trouble booting the device up completely (My own fault, has nothing tod with this thread), at least I was able to boot the kernel and was able to access the device from the debug bridge (adb shell).
Yet again no result. Nothing from dmesg, nothing on the flash memory that indicates kernel accessing it. (It flashes a few times initially when detected otherwise)



Questions:
Are we talking about a separate modified kernel module here?
If so I might have missed it.
Have I missed any importants steps? (loading the external modules for instance?)





EDIT:
Are now "screwing" around with some USB hubs, connectors and are also looking int othis S3C USB Host thing. I suspect that one is aspecial thing for samsung, and are not the same as other devices uses.
We might need another way to control the USB-mode in the X10 chipset, which I suspect is not a S3C based one.

I also suspect the device need a special chip in order to switch between host and device mode, and that chip also provides the "root hub" in question. I suspect the X10 lacks all those things, even if the chipset itself proviced support for it.



EDIT 2:
No success at all. I even tried to detect if there where any data exchange between the X10 and the hubs I've tried (Both straight and crossover on the data leads)
Nothing. There is no whatsoever activity at all going on between the devices.
With that. I'm pretty sure one need a special chip that wakes up the USB host mode in the chipset when certain circumstances are fulfilled. (Normally a chip integrated in the device itself, which the X10 lacks)

I'll place this little project of mine, on the shelf for the time being.
At least until someone can provide us with additional tips that can lead into forcing the X10 chipset into USB host mode.




To put this in simpler terms:
One cannot simply connect to devices to eachother. Nothing will happen.
Both devices will sit there, waiting for the other one to start speaking so either one can respond to the other.
That is how USB device and host mode works:

When a device is connected, the host will detect it and start speaking to it, asking questions the device have to respond to. The device itself will never start speaking, it will only listen, and only respond when asked.
Once this has happened, the data exchange between the device and the operating system can take its course.

The X10 is a device, it listens.
If we try to connect a device/gadget to it, that is not a host itself, it will also sit there listening.
In this situation, we have two or more devices that refuses to speak, as there are no host around to start the conversation.

What we nee to do here, is encourage the X10 to start speaking, by forcing it into host mode BEFORE we connect anything.
Last edited by SysGhost; 8th May 2012 at 03:52 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SysGhost For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2012, 05:05 PM   |  #18  
HeliumX10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Psáry, Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 112
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Wink
for SysGhost:

Same as I did before on doomlord kernels with same (no) results

If you want, i have X10i block diagram schemes. I have already researched them for many many days, but maybe you will find something else...

And one thing - have you loaded usb host kernel modules? Even if hardware supports it, but doesnt have its module, nothing will show up in kernel or system message bus Maybe you know it, maybe not....
Last edited by HeliumX10; 8th May 2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: mistake :)
8th May 2012, 07:08 PM   |  #19  
Senior Member
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 53
 
144 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliumX10

for SysGhost:

Same as I did before on doomlord kernels with same (no) results

If you want, i have X10i block diagram schemes. I have already researched them for many many days, but maybe you will find something else...

And one thing - have you loaded usb host kernel modules? Even if hardware supports it, but doesnt have its module, nothing will show up in kernel or system message bus Maybe you know it, maybe not....

Any documents on the X10 would be helpful. If you got any, I'd gladly have a look.
8th May 2012, 08:39 PM   |  #20  
HeliumX10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Psáry, Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 112
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysGhost

Any documents on the X10 would be helpful. If you got any, I'd gladly have a look.

here there are

As I am uploading them here, i remember that I had found, that USB host cables are located (as in diagram) on the right side of the JTAG pins (under battery stick), because there is located an usb switcher (page 15).

But not sure about it - time to brainstorm
Attached Files
File Type: zip X10_schema.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.13 MB, 14 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to HeliumX10 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes