i have been trying to root mine for a while and found the answers to all the questions are all over the place so i thought i would put them into one place for the less experienced people such as my self. All info is valid as of todays date that i am aware of (10/4/2012)
1. Is the tablet rootable?
The sony tablet S is rootable if your build is below #10. AKA kernel 10 issue
2. Can you change back your kernel/build once on #10 to get root
No, although there are some reports of random build/kernel changes after a reboot. if you notice this i suggest rooting WITHOUT rebooting.
3. Will a factory or any other "reset" turn back my kernel/build to below #10
No, see number 2
4. Are there dates for when a workaround on build/kernel #10 will be available.
No, bare in mind the guys here at XDA dont get anything but donations and do the work FREE and in their OWN time. I would love to make someone just as much as the next guy, but they have jobs. so unless you are going to pay their bills and wages for a while, best to let them do it in their own time.
5. is there a more "for dummies" type tutorial on how to use Condi's AIO tool
Not that i have seen, and to be honest i think we could use one. but do note i am sure Condi has mentioned before his tool is designed to be used by experienced users. Condi may be able to confirm this if he reads my thread. please dont go hassling his if he doesnt.
6. When is ICS coming out.
Pick a date in your calendar and check back then. no one has any dates yet that i am aware of and i have googled my backside off trying to find it. Note though, there was some sort of release although the file wasnt there for ICS in the mexico region. read into that what you will.
7. Can you Root the Tablet from an application on the Tablet (like Gingerbreak for Xperia play) if you don't have access to a Computer.
For the time being NO. Thanks to lloytizzle for that one.
8. Will the new version of the AIO tool (2.6) from Condi root my kernel #10 tablet .
No need to post replies here unless you are confirming or correcting my current finds.
The intention of this post is to save you some time reading through mass amounts of posts and google searches to find nothing YET is possible to deal with the #10 issue.
i will update this post if i find anything and will of course take note of any updates from people such as condi etc.