Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One X Desktop Cradle with Speaker CR S650

Tip us?

1earful
Old
Thanks Meter 13
i ordered from mobilefun when the price was over $70 u.s. for that i think a tracking number was warranted. the vendor said 5-7 days for delivery, if i recall correctly. took 12 and once the item hit new york, there was no updating until it was delivered! that part was really annoying.

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Ah OK didn't realize you were talking about a different retailer...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.

akhil8377
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyhousing View Post
This happened last night in the dock (and prevented my alarm going off this morning). Phone went in the dock with 40% battery remaining and slowly drained to 0% overnight. The power use graph is a linear decline. It drained far quicker than if it had been unplugged completely, even though the screen was off. The dock is indeed suddenly showing as USB charging (not AC). It is so weak that when the battery is completely exhausted the orange indicator slowly blinks. I have had to plug into another charger. Pogo contacts are clean. Perhaps there is a fault with the dock. I will test this evening.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
Dock is perfect, it must be something to do with new update where they have slowed down the charging. It is definately charging slowly, however not to the extent as u mentioned. I keep my phone on dock almost full time, either in office or home and it does charge to full. I also keep screen on through desk clock application which is loaded after 15 minutes of phone being on dock (controlling through tasker)

familyhousing
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil8377 View Post
Dock is perfect, it must be something to do with new update where they have slowed down the charging. It is definately charging slowly, however not to the extent as u mentioned. I keep my phone on dock almost full time, either in office or home and it does charge to full. I also keep screen on through desk clock application which is loaded after 15 minutes of phone being on dock (controlling through tasker)
It's working again now but it always displays USB charging in the settings. However, if you unplug the power connector and replug it while the phone is still docked then it will display AC charging. Perhaps the sudden drain issue I had was caused by some background process eating more juice than the dock can provide.

They've definitely made some significant changes in the last update:

Before the update I had problems with background hiss. It went away somewhat once I cleaned the POGO contacts. However, since the update arrived, the dock is totally silent. That is until you play some audio, when significant (and irritating) background hiss starts. When you stop playing audio the noise stops abruptly after about a second - like the phone is turning of the electrical connections for audio when nothing is playing. So basically it seems HTC have eliminated background noise when idle, at the cost of audio quality and (possibly) charge current.

Incidentally this is what happened when the dock went crazy overnight last time:

knoxploration
Old
(Last edited by knoxploration; 10th September 2012 at 08:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 563
My docks showed up today, and so far, I am extremely disappointed.

* I do not recommend doing business with the $30 seller on Amazon. To say the packaging was insufficient would be the understatement of the century. The boxes for my two docks were loose in an extremely thin bubble wrap envelope that could have fitted four docks. The result was predictable: both boxes were badly crushed.

* The docks themselves have fair construction, and as noted by others come with UK adapters with cables permanently attached to the adapter. I'm running one dock with the provided adapter and a US to UK outlet adapter. The other is hooked up to my standard phone charger along with the USB cable that came with the phone; it fits just fine.

* Unfortunately, with the bundled (extremely cheap, as others have mentioned) plastic insert trays that come with the dock, the very slightest touch on my phone is enough to cause crackling, radical changes in audio volume and bass level (it sounds as if the dock has two or maybe even three speakers, and one or more stops receiving signal), or even the audio to stop working altogether. Touch the phone again in the right place, and the audio comes back. Press down hard on all four corners of the insert, and the audio seems mostly OK, but still crackles or drops out somewhat. Remove the insert altogether and the phone fits--but sits slightly crooked--in the dock, and the audio is much better, but still drops out a little. Both docks perform identically.

* The stock dock app is beyond appalling. I was planning to use TuneIn Radio, but it doesn't seem there's any way to add apps to the stock dock screen. You can change the wallpaper, and that's it, as far as I can see.

* My chosen launcher--MiHome--doesn't recognize the dock and rotate. That's the launcher's fault, I'm sure, though.

* I've already had four "insufficient power to charge" warnings, when I wasn't even using the phone or was literally only browsing the Play Store, and didn't have it on full brightness.

* There's a frequent, heartbeat-like pulsing sound when using the phone with no audio playing, once every second or two. It's not just when you're touching the phone, but happens for a while after the last touch.

If the situation doesn't improve in the next day or two, these may be going back to Amazon.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Update: OK, with the stock charger, these things are beyond useless. I've just tested restarting my phone, and with not a single app running (just the MiHome launcher and the stock settings screen), no sound playing, and the screen on minimum brightness, I can actually watch the battery level falling in front of my eyes despite the charge symbol being displayed.

It can't even provide enough power to sustain an idle phone on minimum screen brightness at the same charge level, let alone charge it.

Oh, and when in the cradle it simply ignores the screen timeout set, so you can't even have the screen automatically disable to save battery.

Next up, to test the bundled UK charger and see if it does any better.
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.

familyhousing
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration View Post

* I do not recommend doing business with the $30 seller on Amazon. To say the packaging was insufficient would be the understatement of the century. The boxes for my two docks were loose in an extremely thin bubble wrap envelope that could have fitted four docks. The result was predictable: both boxes were badly crushed.

* The docks themselves have fair construction, and as noted by others come with UK adapters with cables permanently attached to the adapter. I'm running one dock with the provided adapter and a US to UK outlet adapter. The other is hooked up to my standard phone charger along with the USB cable that came with the phone; it fits just fine.

* Unfortunately, with the bundled (extremely cheap, as others have mentioned) plastic insert trays that come with the dock, the very slightest touch on my phone is enough to cause crackling, radical changes in audio volume and bass level (it sounds as if the dock has two or maybe even three speakers, and one or more stops receiving signal), or even the audio to stop working altogether. Touch the phone again in the right place, and the audio comes back. Press down hard on all four corners of the insert, and the audio seems mostly OK, but still crackles or drops out somewhat. Remove the insert altogether and the phone fits--but sits slightly crooked--in the dock, and the audio is much better, but still drops out a little. Both docks perform identically.

* The stock dock app is beyond appalling. I was planning to use TuneIn Radio, but it doesn't seem there's any way to add apps to the stock dock screen. You can change the wallpaper, and that's it, as far as I can see.

* My chosen launcher--MiHome--doesn't recognize the dock and rotate. That's the launcher's fault, I'm sure, though.

* I've already had four "insufficient power to charge" warnings, when I wasn't even using the phone or was literally only browsing the Play Store, and didn't have it on full brightness.

* There's a frequent, heartbeat-like pulsing sound when using the phone with no audio playing, once every second or two. It's not just when you're touching the phone, but happens for a while after the last touch.

If the situation doesn't improve in the next day or two, these may be going back to Amazon.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Update: OK, with the stock charger, these things are beyond useless. I've just tested restarting my phone, and with not a single app running (just the MiHome launcher and the stock settings screen), no sound playing, and the screen on minimum brightness, I can actually watch the battery level falling in front of my eyes despite the charge symbol being displayed.

It can't even provide enough power to sustain an idle phone on minimum screen brightness at the same charge level, let alone charge it.

Oh, and when in the cradle it simply ignores the screen timeout set, so you can't even have the screen automatically disable to save battery.

Agree with mist of what you said but it changed for me when the 4.0.4 update came. The screen now turns off according to the dock dimming setting. I don't get the heartbeat sound anymore (although the white noise is awful when playing). And charge rate is worse. Are you on 4.0.4?

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Yes, I am. And it seems like--although the notification light illuminates when the phone is switched off and placed in the dock, and the lightning bolt symbol is shown on the battery in the notification bar when switched on-it simply doesn't charge at all. The battery drained to where the phone switched off, and I've reseated it in the dock twice since then, but after several hours it still has insufficient power to even start up.

This is using the cable that came with the phone, and the same charger I've always used. Next up, to try the bundled UK ac adapter.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

scotte9999
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikc0069 View Post
Ie does it go to dock mode and happily play music and ui sounds through dock?

Yes (in case you didn't see a reply before). CM10 works just fine with the dock.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

FYI, Expansys has open-box docks for $20. I picked up two, and other than the box itself being beat up, the dock/charger/manual all look effectively brand new. Shipping was just a few days.

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte9999 View Post
Yes (in case you didn't see a reply before). CM10 works just fine with the dock.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

FYI, Expansys has open-box docks for $20. I picked up two, and other than the box itself being beat up, the dock/charger/manual all look effectively brand new. Shipping was just a few days.
At $20, it's just *about* worth it. Both my docks have issues with the insert sitting straight (I'm going to have to stick them down with double-sided tape), both of them have issues with connectivity (even the lightest touch on the phone when in the dock causes crackling, speaker dropouts, charging to stop, etc.), both make annoying "heartbeat" and buzzing/humming noises both when touching the phone and sometimes when not, it's tricky to take the phone out without dropping it because of the poor design, the phone buttons don't dim when in the dock even with the screen on minimum brightness, the lack of speaker and HDMI ports is utterly ludicrous, the button shape / throw are terrible (especially if you have to use the insert, in which case they're almost impossible to press), the volume step size is far too coarse (from loud to off in one button press is just stupid) and frankly it's just an all-around poor design.

They're pretty-much good for charging (so long as you position the phone carefully) and listening to music (so long as you have a playlist or are streaming, so you never need to touch the phone between tracks). That's it. They're useless for anything that requires you to touch the phone without interrupting audio or charging, and the heartbeat / other untoward noises are very noticeable even over my PC fans etc., and would be downright anger-inducing in a totally silent room.

Whoever designed these should be sent back to design school.

akhil8377
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration View Post

My experience is with dock is not at all what you mentioned. It charges perfectly, screen goes off after set time. Wall paper can be changed, there are three applications on the dock screen which can be set as per your choice, so tunein can be set there. Long press on any one of application (by default there are three) and you can choose your applications from the list. If you are looking for more, add applications in your music player. A total of 9 applications can be added to Music application and these can be started from dock.