Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,683 Members 50,972 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sprint to activate LTE on 800mhz band... in 2014

Tip us?

abhaxus
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Photon definitely does not do LTE. The rep may have said it will work with network vision in that a software update could allow it to change frequencies on the fly as NV will allow. That would be a nice feat on its own.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
Any posts and opinions on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer's positions, strategies or opinions.

squshy 7
Old
Thanks Meter 451
Wow...lol

It's honestly a smarter idea to roll out LTE on higher band first, because it is able to handle more traffic; the initial rush of LTE subscribers will be better accommodated. It would be a nightmare scenario if they deployed 800 first, only to find that metro areas are clogging up, and thereby negating the whole LTE advantage.

Not mention all the people on Nextel? They can't just kick them off immediately. Plus, people have signed 2year Nextel contracts in the last 6 months, so their end of contract will come shortly before this.

It's not a big deal...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
[21:22] <Shabbypenguin> but the nexus... well its gunna be better than sex

bondosho
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Maybe I'm weird, but most places I go have some kind of wifi. Looking at my bill, I used 183mb last month of mobile data.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

IAmSixNine
Old
Thanks Meter 96
and an FYI to those of us who are thinking of buying an LTE device, the EVO 3D only supports LTE in the 1900 band, not 800mhz. It will do voice and EVDO Data in 800 but not LTE..
The device better have a great screen and external audio or im passing on it and seeing what Samsung has to offer.
DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox

Twitter @AndroidTechGuy
Google+
Android Users

LordLugard
Old
Thanks Meter 289
So basically Sprint is going to be mired in a myriad of devices as time goes by. Initial LTE phones like the Galaxy Nexus would do LTE on 1900mhz and i guess future devices would either be dual LTE 1900/800 for when the switch over to 800mhz happens in 2014.

So where does the Clear 2.5ghz LTE spectrum come into play at all? Is it even worth Sprint bothering with?

Is it that come 2014 when they've pushed the chirpers off Nextel's 800mhz band that their whole LTE network is going to be on 800mhz or a combination of 800 and 1900 depending on market?

I really fear for Sprint's LTE future seeing how far behind they really are, and how convoluted their future strategy seems.
Previous mistresses:
Epic Touch (Galaxy)
Nexus S 4G
Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2)
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Note 2
LG G2
Moto X (Current)

sniper
Old
Thanks Meter 3,487

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
and an FYI to those of us who are thinking of buying an LTE device, the EVO 3D only supports LTE in the 1900 band, not 800mhz. It will do voice and EVDO Data in 800 but not LTE..
The device better have a great screen and external audio or im passing on it and seeing what Samsung has to offer.
Ya, I'm going to be waiting too. I'm guessing the S3 will take advantage of both.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Want to buy me a drink? Donate

DevalB
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Sprint employee here...can I clarify please?

Sprint is running LTE on 1900mhz g-block, a 10mhz chunk totally clear of traffic today, with a nationwide license. This means that the LTE coverage will mirror 3G coverage eventually.

On top of that, Sprint has roughly 14-18mhz of ESMR (800mhz) spectrum allocated for iDEN users. As that network gets sunsetted, the spectrum will be repurposed for 1xAdvanced, which will allow 4x the capacity for voice calls and 1x data.

Each one of the Network Vision sites will be upgraded with significantly enhanced backhaul, which will provide great 3G and LTE speeds. Granted, Sprint will deploy LTE on a 5x5 configuration, v.s. Verizon which is doing 10x10, or AT&T, who is trying to do 10x10 wherever possible. Difference being, with Network Vision, Sprint is upgrading each cell site, requiring a single truck roll, not an "overlay" like Verizon.

If you look at Verizon's LTE deployment, they are basically adding LTE radios and equipment to their existing sites. Sprint is upgrading their existing site and installing equipment which can run on any frequency, with any spectrum, with any technology. In theory, you'll get LTE coverage exactly the same as 3G coverage, so it will be consistent across the board.

Along with that, there is also LTE rev10 or LTE Advanced, which does spectrum bonding, which will allow a device to use both the 5x5 1900mhz and 5x5 800mhz, for LTE. Much faster speeds with existing equipment.

If you think about it, a device term/contract is 2 years, so you won't be upgrading your phone for at least 20 months, which means any device you purchase today will take full advantage of Network Vision, including LTE. Hell, even our Epic Touchs will get a faster data speed and increased coverage.

My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies, and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.

Current Phones
iPhone 5 - Stock Apple
Apple iPad Mini - Sprint LTE Version
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DevalB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RayTrue04
Old
Thanks Meter 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
Wait the Evo 3D can do LTE? I've heard about the Photon maybe being able but never about the Evo3D.. Damn are phones came out after those two phones and we know for sure we don't have LTE. We couldve at least got the same treatment to keep us happy!

sniper
Old
Thanks Meter 3,487

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayTrue04 View Post
Wait the Evo 3D can do LTE? I've heard about the Photon maybe being able but never about the Evo3D.. Damn are phones came out after those two phones and we know for sure we don't have LTE. We couldve at least got the same treatment to keep us happy!

Even if we can't take advantage of the full lte capabilities, 3g speeds should be waaay better than they are now and better than our "4g" Wimax speeds once NV is rolled out in your area.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Want to buy me a drink? Donate

autoprime
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,759

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevalB View Post

If you think about it, a device term/contract is 2 years, so you won't be upgrading your phone for at least 20 months, which means any device you purchase today will take full advantage of Network Vision, including LTE. Hell, even our Epic Touchs will get a faster data speed and increased coverage.
hey deval.. i remember you from my sprintuser days

anyway.. as for your reference to the epic touch... does it support the ESMR band? looking thru fcc documents.. it didnt seem to support the higher 800mhz freq like the Evo 3D does.

orr are you just getting at the fact we'll benefit fro the improved backhaul and added cell locations?