Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,891 Members 49,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gt-i9100 No Soft Buttons

Tip us?

SuperSpacecadet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Gt-i9100 No Soft Buttons

I run a cell phone repair store and have recently run into some problems i'm hoping you guys can help me with.

I was bringing in the Samsung Galaxy s II completed front assembly parts for the last while and repairing broken screens.

Recently my supplier ran out of black galaxy S II fronts so I ordered white in place of them.

After installing the motherboard we realized there were no soft buttons, the home button clicks but the two touch buttons don't work.

The black fronts I have work but the white ones dont, is there a difference between the 2 phones? are they not identical and are the parts interchangeable?

Update:

I found a new supplier and ordered some Black assemblies and none of the soft buttons work on those either!! I don't understand!

Is there a compatibility issue here? I know the motherboard is good, is there a driver for the soft buttons or something? Some sort of firmware?

Thanks

jsmasterx
Old
Thanks Meter 75
When you click on them do you see the lights coming in ?

Maybe there's some connectors issue too

SuperSpacecadet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
No there are no lights that come on, no response no lights. I just need some educated guesses, is this hardware or software?

jsmasterx
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Strange.

Worked on original board but didnt worked after the installation of the new motherboard + cover.

I think something broke during the process. I know that those wires are kinda cheaps so maybe there is a wrong contact somewhere or a short.

I will guess with a short in your wiring

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Jean-Simon Chénard
Nexus 5 32Gb V2
Nexus 7 32Gb / Scott's CleanROM 2.5 with leanKernel 0.8

SuperSpacecadet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I would have thought that too except these are the completed front assemblies, all you do is remove the motherboard and move it over, there is no wiring involved. Could it be anything else other than hardware.

jsmasterx
Old
Thanks Meter 75
*#8999*8378# = Test Menu

*#8999*667# = Debug Mode

One of these two code have the built in option to check key press. It will show an hexadecimal number of the key while pressing.

Can you try it and tell me if the soft keys are recognized within the test key menu ?

If yes ill suggest to flash firmware with odin to have a clean phone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Jean-Simon Chénard
Nexus 5 32Gb V2
Nexus 7 32Gb / Scott's CleanROM 2.5 with leanKernel 0.8

SuperSpacecadet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Neither of these codes do anything, the lights are not even lit up. On my Galaxy S II when the phone boots the lights come on, it's almost like there is no power to the cable at all.

SuperSpacecadet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I know from previous experience with the SGS Vibrant that installing an old firmware edition and flashing the soft keys fix some problems, but at least they lit up even when they did not work. Could I possible have 7 fronts with bad buttons? What are the possibilities here?

syndragon
Old
Thanks Meter 5
is it on warranty?
id return to it

SuperSpacecadet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndragon View Post
is it on warranty?
id return to it
That is so not helpful as I have 6 with this problem and non of them are mine.