Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,115 Members 51,995 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dual-booted TF101 optimised for work.

Tip us?

themac
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Ok, but something without accelerated Video and Audio driver is definitely not something i'd want to use everyday for work or even for study.

It's just my opinion and i really respect yours

To be honest, i'd pay some money to have a fully working *nix flavour on my Tf101.

And as today, the only one available is Android

TheMac

bcd234
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing O Doom View Post
Libreoffice works on mine (tested) and dualboot is so much faster than the chroot vnc method. I'll primarily be using it for the GIMP and for Ardour 2. (hopefully getting drivers working so I can record on the go)
Anything that works on ARM works on this, so go ahead and give whatever you need a go, most works.
I know I'm a total ubuntu newb, but I can't figure out how to increase the space available on Ubuntu (might be ok once my 32gb sdcard comes in the mail), and I've followed instructions pasting directly into the Ubuntu terminal, but can't seem to install Libreoffice..

Is the process of installing libreoffice any different when you've flashed Ubuntu on a TF101? Is there a website you've found that provides instructions which work?

I haven't figured out how to install ANYTHING on flashed ubuntu... Even when using the terminal instructions.

bcd234
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
d
Quote:
Originally Posted by themac View Post
Ok, but something without accelerated Video and Audio driver is definitely not something i'd want to use everyday for work or even for study.

It's just my opinion and i really respect yours

To be honest, i'd pay some money to have a fully working *nix flavour on my Tf101.

And as today, the only one available is Android

TheMac
Well think about what I'm using my TF101 for....
I need it to read .pdfs, for light internet browsing (ie. finding sources), for full-suite office applications (ie. working on essays), and for communication (emaill) purposes. I also need something with a good battery life

I could have paid 200-300 for a netbook with crap specs, and maybe 6hrs of battery, and crap resolution., and crap storage

I could have paid a MINIMUM of $800 for an ultrabook with only 6 hours battery and no touch interface...

Instead I chose to buy a tablet which can run full-office when booted with ubuntu, has a battery life of 16 HOURS, and cost $400.
As a bonus I can use it as a tablet in Android to read pdfs, work while standing up, review my work for the day while in bed (etc)
I will have 64gb of storage on the tablet alone (premium ultrabooks have only 128gb SSD) and I will be able to connect 2 flash USB sticks or a HDD for anything else.

I think I made an excellent choice (provided libreoffice works!).

themac
Old
Thanks Meter 2
bcd234 : i'm not talking about the tf101 choice. You spent your money well, no doubt !
I have one too, and i also like it .
I do read pdfs, and do web surfing, or even develop apps (i just installed AIDE app, check it out, it's awesome).
I'm only doubtful about the ubuntu choice that, at the time of writing is not, in my humble opinion a real alternative over Android.
So, i'd rather using some app that could be like the ubuntu ones you are using (Photoshop Touch versus TheGimp, PolarisOffice versus LibreOffice and much more, the Android world is full of apps!).

Just to be clear : They are not fully comparable, it's obvious, nor i want to make you change your mind . If you are happy with Ubuntu, with the limitations it has on TF101 (but be prepared about battery usage : it's not 16h) i'm happy too.

:)

TheMac
The Following User Says Thank You to themac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bcd234
Old
(Last edited by bcd234; 18th April 2012 at 04:16 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by themac View Post
bcd234 : i'm not talking about the tf101 choice. You spent your money well, no doubt !
I have one too, and i also like it .
I do read pdfs, and do web surfing, or even develop apps (i just installed AIDE app, check it out, it's awesome).
I'm only doubtful about the ubuntu choice that, at the time of writing is not, in my humble opinion a real alternative over Android.
So, i'd rather using some app that could be like the ubuntu ones you are using (Photoshop Touch versus TheGimp, PolarisOffice versus LibreOffice and much more, the Android world is full of apps!).

Just to be clear : They are not fully comparable, it's obvious, nor i want to make you change your mind . If you are happy with Ubuntu, with the limitations it has on TF101 (but be prepared about battery usage : it's not 16h) i'm happy too.

:)

TheMac
I see your point, but for me it's not an either/or decision as far as Ubuntu/android go.

As I said earlier I NEED a full office suite. Polaris just doesn't have the features I need. If I can get access to a full office suite Ubuntu is something I'd happily deal with.

Case in point: I left home at about 9:30am today and got home after 12am.. spent at least 2 hours on public transport.

Used the TF101 for over 10 hours. Still on 30% charge.

Even if I had 3 times as much cash to get an ultra book, I'd be out of action as soon as I strayed from a power point!

If android ever has a full office suite (including footnote CREATION) I'll happily boot Android exclusively.

Edit: just to be clear, the only thing I really need that isn't on ICS is a full office suite. ICS is actually AWESOME from what I've experienced so far :)

Goatshocker
Old
Thanks Meter 407
This is probably out of question since it requires internet connection but, have you looked into xlive's desktop service?
Quick ADB Pusher v0.5 (discontinued)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone(ancient junk): ZTE Blade some CM11 build
Tablet 7": Novo 7 Basic running stock HC 3.2.1
Tablet 10": ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB running Team EOS nightly (build 26)

Phone(new): HTC One S S4 running Dark Jelly S CM10 build23
Phone(junk): Xperia P running resurrection remix or Honami MW
Phone(Newest): Galaxy S4 Mini running slimKat
-----
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO THANK ME? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

bcd234
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatshocker View Post
This is probably out of question since it requires internet connection but, have you looked into xlive's desktop service?
If it's a remote desktop solution then it's not a viable possibility. Literally all I have is a phone with 2gb data. I do everything else at uni.

Thing O Doom
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 722

DONATE TO ME
I just download and install through ubuntu and works fine, what trouble are you having sofar?
Is a B3ast?
NvFlash for B70+ Devices - Windows/Linux
PERI: A one-click Root and Recovery installer for .27 or less -- by me
The General ASUS Transformer tf101 Help Thread -- Ask Here

Device -- Asus Transformer TF101
Currently crack flashing...
KAT Kernel
Device -- Nexus 7
ReVOLT with TWRP
Franco kernel
--
If you need my help in a topic I have replied too but forgotten about, please quote my post and I will see it. Thanks for patience, I'm very busy c:

bcd234
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing O Doom View Post
I just download and install through ubuntu and works fine, what trouble are you having sofar?
A couple of problems;

the first is that there is no space on ubuntu to do anything. It becomes dangerously slow because I have about 100mb free on the image.

I bought a microsd card and tried to loopmount it from the sd so I'd have more room, but the instructions failed when I needed to type:
dd if=/sdcard/ubuntu.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 into terminal when following instructions here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1537566

Libreoffice is installed (can't seem to uninstall) but I can't install any packages AFAIK (I need writer). The fact that I can't resize ubuntu.img makes it even harder to figure out how to do a proper full install!

bcd234
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
If I wanted to set up the ubuntu loopmounted image again, how would I go about deleting the old one?

When I copied over an older version of the ubuntu.img, nothing actually changed! How do I remove it so I can reinstall?