Ask a question

No registration required

Samsung Galaxy Note BLACK CRUSH Demo

OP dvd7000

16th April 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
Mine was purchased a little over a week ago at a local AT&T store in the USA. It is the SGH-I717 and is mfg. in Korea.

When I play Netflix or You Tube (HQ streams) of B&W movies with dark scenes and/or fade ins/outs, the picture becomes pixelated and blocky. As if there was no gray scale, just blotchy blobs. My older Captivate plays these scenes perfectly.

I made a video showing this problem. It shows a comparison of my Samsung Captivate, and my new Galaxy Note. Here is the You Tube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8aIGeLERg

I have tried to post about this issue to the AT&T reviews forum several times, but they will not accept the post. I wonder why?..... [NOT!]

There is a test pattern in this forum in another thread. Here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1559800

It has a 22 rectangular block grid of different gray scale gradations, from white to black. Does your Note reproduce this test correctly (a gradual darkening of all the blocks until the numbers from 7 to 0 are difficult to see), or does it look like mine (all the numbers from 21 to 1 are visible, and 0 is completely black?

I LOVE this phone but for this one irritating problem. I truly hope that a fix is forthcoming from Samsung.
Last edited by dvd7000; 18th April 2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Added links
The Following User Says Thank You to dvd7000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 12:26 AM   |  #2  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 23

464 posts
There was a huge thread dedicated to this with sample patterns, pics, etc, that just got deleted. Seems some members are requesting mods revive it, so just wait and see if that comes back.
17th April 2012, 12:31 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 148

679 posts
More
Nice try. New member?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717
17th April 2012, 12:34 AM   |  #4  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 23

464 posts
clearly he is..
17th April 2012, 12:36 AM   |  #5  
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 226

664 posts
More
No, this person already posted these videos and mentioned that their posts are getting revoked on the AT&T site. And in the old thread, so they knew it existed. Why the new account??
17th April 2012, 12:51 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 24

137 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg42

No, this person already posted these videos and mentioned that their posts are getting revoked on the AT&T site. And in the old thread, so they knew it existed. Why the new account??

It's not a new account. I remember him having 9 posts in my black clipping thread. But since it got deleted, so did all of his posts. That's why he's showing 1 post.

Edit: Since no one has helped him post a link yet, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8aIGeLERg
The Following User Says Thank You to tenderchkn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #7  
Flag Oregon

664 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn

It's not a new account. I remember him having 9 posts in my black clipping thread. But since it got deleted, so did all of his posts. That's why he's showing 1 post.

Ahhhhh, thanks. My tin foil hat has been on since that thread was deleted
17th April 2012, 12:56 AM   |  #8  

137 posts
Quote:

Ahhhhh, thanks. My tin foil hat has been on since that thread was deleted

Has the clipping problem improved on the Seraphim ROM? I haven't had time to flash yet, but someone posted a photo last night right before the thread got deleted, and it showed improvement.
17th April 2012, 12:58 AM   |  #9  
Flag Oregon

664 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn

Has the clipping problem improved on the Seraphim ROM? I haven't had time to flash yet, but someone posted a photo last night right before the thread got deleted, and it showed improvement.

Exact same as ICS leak for me, major clip between 6 and 7.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpeg42 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 01:19 AM   |  #10  

137 posts
Quote:

Exact same as ICS leak for me, major clip between 6 and 7.

Hmm, okay - thanks. schrochem posted a picture, supposedly from the Seraphim ROM last night that showed all numbers visible, but substantial improvement in terms of clipping. He posted another picture originally from April 3rd (before the ICS leak) that showed major clipping between 0 and 1.

It's weird that one user would show substantially improved clipping with 1 visible, while another still has major clipping between 6 and 7 on the same ROM. Clipping point is clearly a software setting, so I'm a bit confused. Same ROM = same software, right?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
black clipping, galaxy note black crush problem
Previous Thread Next Thread