Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,124 Members 43,311 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NEW Root method for Motorola Android Phones

Tip us?

rodrigojfuentes
Old
(Last edited by rodrigojfuentes; 19th April 2012 at 04:55 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Thumbs up NEW Root method for Motorola Android Phones

Hi! I just created this thread to let you know that thanks to user dettofatto and me, there's a new root method for Motorola Android Phones (I don't know if it will work for other brands).

NOTE: I tried this method with Gingerbread, I don't know if this will work with other versions.

The method is far from easy, but it works if none of the existing exploits and tricks don't.

Ok, there are some simple-like steps to root your phones:

1. If you have an unrooted gingerbread, ask for a rooted gingerbread userdata partition image (aka CG37) with a modified local.prop file and USB debugging enabled.

The value that you need to modify is ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb from 0 to 1.

IMPORTANT: The best you can do is to double wipe the phone and then modify local.prop an allow USB debugging, so the data partition doesn't have any of your personal information.

Then you can create a userdata partition image by typing this in the shell (with root access)

Code:
Select Code
dd if=/dev/block/userdata of=/sdcard/CG37.smg
or

Code:
Select Code
busybox dd if=/dev/block/userdata of=/sdcard/CG37.smg
and let it do its work.

2. Once you got your CG37.smg in the SD card, you will have to boot into linux (so you can use sbf_flash).

3. When you are in linux, you need to extract the folder contained in the zip that you can download here mediafire.com/?n100jj66130lgra

4. Then you need to copy the CG37.smg and your original SBF (the non rooted one) to that folder.

5. Now you'll have to start a terminal with root permissions, and move to the folder by typing

Code:
Select Code
cd <folder>
(where folder is the folder I just mentioned, without the <>, you can drag the folder to the terminal if you don't want to type its address)

4. Then you need to resize that partition to 200 Mb, since sbf_flash won't allow you to flash a big image (approx. 1,1 Gb). You have to type this

Code:
Select Code
efsck -f CG37.smg
resize2fs CG37.smg 200M
5. Then you need to type

Code:
Select Code
chmod +x sbf_flash
and then you need to start your phone into bootloader and connect it to the computer, then you type

Code:
Select Code
./sbf_flash -r --userdata CG37.smg ORIGINAL.sbf
(where ORIGINAL corresponds to the name of your SBF)

and let it its work.

5. Once the phone started up, you now need to run this command

Code:
Select Code
bash finishroot.sh
And let it finish the work.

6. Now you have your phone rooted. You can just reboot into recovery mode and do a double wipe, because the files that we needed are now in system partition.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rodrigojfuentes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dettofatto
Old
Thanks Meter 130

DONATE TO ME
Great!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dettofatto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Prometeo88
Old
Thanks Meter 12
can't unzip attached!!

rodrigojfuentes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
It seems xda forum doesn't allow me to add attached files or links. So look at the step 3, the link is there.

Prometeo88
Old
Thanks Meter 12
didn't upload the sbf_flash, the one i use it stuck in waiting for devices. can't enter bootloader mode, when press @ doesn't appear the menu option. any ideas?

rodrigojfuentes
Old
(Last edited by rodrigojfuentes; 19th April 2012 at 02:11 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometeo88 View Post
didn't upload the sbf_flash, the one i use it stuck in waiting for devices. can't enter bootloader mode, when press @ doesn't appear the menu option. any ideas?
Done! I uploaded the zip file again with the sbf_flash included, the one I used to flash my phone

Mioze7Ae
Old
(Last edited by Mioze7Ae; 19th April 2012 at 04:42 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2096
Do you actually need the full userdata (I mean userdata as initialized after first boot following a wipe)? Or is having an essentially empty userdata with just the adb directive in local.prop all that's needed? Or does local.prop get ignored if you trigger some "first boot after wipe" tripwires? XT720 is eclair/yaffs2 so some details would be different but the concept is good. I'm just wondering about the "how could you get a rooted userdata" chicken/egg problem if no other rooting method already existed for the phone...
Milestone XT720 -- CM6.3.6.2/github -- OpenRecoveryXT720 -- fastboot kernels -- SBF master thread/mirrors -- reverendkjr's video tutorials
SD card/app2ext/Link2SD problems: ORXT720 > "SD Card Utilities" > "Save diagnostics" and post /sdcard/sdcard-info.txt

dettofatto
Old
Thanks Meter 130

DONATE TO ME
It's gone! Thank you!
I suggest you to reboot in standard recovery... and do it a double wipe..

giannihsd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default help...

Anyone ca poste the CG37.smg

I have an unrooted milestone 2 and I can't fine any other motorola to create the file.....

rodrigojfuentes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by giannihsd View Post
Anyone ca poste the CG37.smg

I have an unrooted milestone 2 and I can't fine any other motorola to create the file.....
I suggest you to ask for it in the Milestone 2 Forum. Thanks.