Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,847 Members 53,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard bricked during CM9 upgrade from UCLD3 Leak?!

Tip us?
 
w1209
Old
#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Apr 2012
It's very odd indeed considering MIUI doesn't have a bootloader included either, and according to CWM it flashed without any problems. The only other possibility I could think of is that the ROM got corrupted while copying onto the phone. I checked MD5 checksum after downloading onto my computer but not on my phone before flashing. Still, could a corrupt ROM without bootloader hardbrick the phone? I thought the SGS2 was supposed to be very hard to brick when not flashing something like a bootloader
 
dayv
Old
(Last edited by dayv; 19th April 2012 at 07:11 AM.)
#12  
dayv's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 135
Posts: 637
Join Date: Sep 2010
If the boot loaders and param.lfs are intact you should be able to get download mode (as long as there are no hardware problems).

Recovery on the other hand is in the kernel on our phones so if the kernel did not flash properly it could cause recovery not to work.

I have read somewhere a while back where someone had their battery die during a flash and they had to get different battery altogether to get the phones to power back on - don't know if that is the case here. It was as though their battery would not charge in their phone after it died during the flash. But if you guys know someone close to you that have the same phone I would try their battery just to see. There could be some other hardware malfunction also.

I don't know if cwm recovery touches any of the boot loaders or the param.lfs in the nandroid backup/restore process. As far as flashing a cwm zip one needs to check the zip to make sure the zip dies not contain boot loaders or param.lfs - as long as the zip being flashed does not contain those then it should be pretty safe to flash.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium HD app
 
mzaur
Old
#13  
mzaur's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 57
Posts: 563
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NJ
If a USB jig doesn't work, I guess call up Samsung and play dumb? Worst thing that will happen is they'll send your phone back to you. Sorry to hear about your bad luck :/

Here's an odd idea... you didn't happen to get water in it, did you?
 
nakedninja42
Old
#14  
nakedninja42's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 699
Posts: 1,974
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

 
DONATE TO ME
I hard brick too! I can't get jig to work at all and can't connect to download mode. I was at ~40% battery and flashed AOKP coming from ld3. I hit reboot in recovery and the screen went black.

If I can't get it working tonight I going to AT&T in the morning

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayv View Post
If the boot loaders and param.lfs are intact you should be able to get download mode (as long as there are no hardware problems).

Recovery on the other hand is in the kernel on our phones so if the kernel did not flash properly it could cause recovery not to work.

I have read somewhere a while back where someone had their battery die during a flash and they had to get different battery altogether to get the phones to power back on - don't know if that is the case here. It was as though their battery would not charge in their phone after it died during the flash. But if you guys know someone close to you that have the same phone I would try their battery just to see. There could be some other hardware malfunction also.

I don't know if cwm recovery touches any of the boot loaders or the param.lfs in the nandroid backup/restore process. As far as flashing a cwm zip one needs to check the zip to make sure the zip dies not contain boot loaders or param.lfs - as long as the zip being flashed does not contain those then it should be pretty safe to flash.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium HD app
Using the odin one-click I tried to flash using Mobile ODIN, it only flashed the param.lfs (this was before the helpful instructions from entropy on how to extract properly). Don't know if that has any effect on my problem.
Phone: Nexus 5 stock 4.4 with ART
_____________

Tablet: Nexus 7 stock 4.4

_____________

Wife: Nexus 5 stock 4.4 / Kindle Fire otter CM 10.1.3 4.2.2
_____________

Old: HTC Pure; Samsung SGH-I897; Samsung GT-P7510; Samsung SGH-I777
 
dayv
Old
#15  
dayv's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 135
Posts: 637
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
I hard brick too! I can't get jig to work at all and can't connect to download mode. I was at ~40% battery and flashed AOKP coming from ld3. I hit reboot in recovery and the screen went black.

If I can't get it working tonight I going to AT&T in the morning

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------



Using the odin one-click I tried to flash using Mobile ODIN, it only flashed the param.lfs (this was before the helpful instructions from entropy on how to extract properly). Don't know if that has any effect on my problem.
Not sure, but if your param.lfs got corrupted that could be your problem.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium HD app
 
w1209
Old
#16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Apr 2012
Same exact thing happened to me as dayv, except I was flashing to MIUI. Coincidence between the three of us that we were flashing FROM LD3 or not? Sorry to hear about your phone as well. Lesson learned is to wait for other to flash before you?
 
AJ Newkirk
Old
#17  
AJ Newkirk's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,994
Posts: 1,644
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lexington, KY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1209 View Post
Same exact thing happened to me as dayv, except I was flashing to MIUI. Coincidence between the three of us that we were flashing FROM LD3 or not? Sorry to hear about your phone as well. Lesson learned is to wait for other to flash before you?
Yes....coincidence. I have flashed form UCLD3 to AOKP (and CM9) & back more than a few times without issue.
 
creepyncrawly
Old
#18  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,025
Posts: 2,478
Join Date: Sep 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
@avus_m3, w1209, and nakedninja42:

With three similar hard bricks, there is a patern. We should gather as much information as possible. What package did you use to put UCLD3 on the phone immediately before the bad flash? Also, exactly what parts did the AOKP or MIUI package that resulted in the bad flash contain?
 
w1209
Old
#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Apr 2012
I used the latest version posted in the thread (I think there is only one LD3 package?): hxxp://goo.im/devs/task650/SGH-I777/Task650_I777_UCLD3_signed.zip
(not allowed to post links yet)

Same for MIUI: hxxp://goo.im/devs/ktoonsez/downloads/miuiandroid_I777-2.4.13b.zip
(not allowed to post links yet)

I know for sure that the MIUI MD5 checksum matched after downloading to my computer. Will see what the MD5 checksum is of the file on my phone after I get it back from MTV. If it is the same there is a definite pattern. If not it was just bad luck and my fault for not verifying it on phone before flashing
 
dayv
Old
#20  
dayv's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 135
Posts: 637
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1209 View Post
Same exact thing happened to me as dayv, except I was flashing to MIUI. Coincidence between the three of us that we were flashing FROM LD3 or not? Sorry to hear about your phone as well. Lesson learned is to wait for other to flash before you?
Just to be clear this did not happen to me directly - just responded as I remember reading somewhere about a battery dying during a flash and that person needing to get another battery to get their phone back to life - again the battery may not have anything to do with what happened hear.

But it does look like this happened to two people after flashing away from ld3 leak - though it just may be coincidental hardware issues. we will see if there are more people who have trouble after flashing the leak.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium HD app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes