Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,752 Members 39,326 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Too late now to buy GS2 I777 or no ?

Tip us?

mahanddeem
Old
(Last edited by mahanddeem; 19th April 2012 at 08:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Default [Q] Too late now to buy GS2 I777 or no ?

Hello
I am thinking seriously to buy the GS2 of AT&t to use it with my ST SIM card...Now please I want to know your opinions , should I go for this Galaxy S2 , or not ? should I wait some time for something new ? I know this device is of August or Sep 2011 technology , but stil the hardware is excellent ...
Another point is that I can get it for around 450$ locally from AT&T store (plus tax extra) .. is that a good price from a trustful seller ?
Thanks

Edit : I will not buy it through ATT contarct ... I will pay full retail price and get a ST SIM...

LiLChris06
Old
Thanks Meter 1,281
Personally I would at least wait till May 3rd for the SGSIII announcement even though we wont get it will end of the year but its nice so you know before you jump the gun.

creaky
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLChris06 View Post
Personally I would at least wait till May 3rd for the SGSIII announcement even though we wont get it will end of the year but its nice so you know before you jump the gun.
I have to agree. If you can't wait, it's a nice phone if you don't need 4G.

mahanddeem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky View Post
if you don't need 4G.
Can you explain more please ? you mean LTE ? I don't think my city would get LTE at least for a year from now...

alex4lex
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Examine your own needs thoroughly.

I don't have LTE, I don't have huge hands (No One X or anything above 4.5 for me!) and I wanted a phone that could last through a day and then some on moderate usage. The GSII in my opinion still trumps other newer phones. It's got great battery life, huge developer community, great screen, and the almighty Exynos to power your games

creaky
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
Can you explain more please ? you mean LTE ? I don't think my city would get LTE at least for a year from now...
Yes, LTE is what I meant. If LTE is not a big deal for you, and you can't wait for the Galaxy III, then I say go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to creaky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

inspectagadget
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
Hello
I am thinking seriously to buy the GS2 of AT&t to use it with my ST SIM card...Now please I want to know your opinions , should I go for this Galaxy S2 , or not ? should I wait some time for something new ? I know this device is of August or Sep 2011 technology , but stil the hardware is excellent ...
Another point is that I can get it for around 450$ locally from AT&T store (plus tax extra) .. is that a good price from a trustful seller ?
Thanks
I love my SGSII! But, if I were you I would also wait until the SGSIII announcement. I am a gadget freak so for me it's hard to stick to one phone for long, but I'd have to say that the SGSII is one of the best devices one could own.
You can't climb the ladder of success with both hands in your pockets!

Phone History:
Samsung Galaxy SII HSPA+ i777
iPhone 32gb black- what was I thinking?
Blackberry 9810 Total POS!
Can't remember all the phones I've had!
The Following User Says Thank You to inspectagadget For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evohmonkie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I bought a refurbished/like-new gsII for $250 just 2 weeks ago to use with ST. Im am very satisfied with it thus far(was previously using a Samsung infuse 4g). SGH-i777 runs noticeably faster though i prefer the larger 4.5in screen on the infuse. And yes 4g is available and works very well through att + straight talk for me.

If your looking for a bargain, i would look for a used gs II (~$250 is a great deal for buying a smart phone like this off contract). But if you have 400-500 spend, you might as well wait for the newer phones which have larger screens with better resolutions and better specs overall.

mattdm
Old
Thanks Meter 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by evohmonkie View Post
But if you have 400-500 spend, you might as well wait for the newer phones which have larger screens with better resolutions and better specs overall.
That estimate seems really low. The S2 (both international and AT&T) is still selling for like $550 new. You think the S3 is going to sell for less than $500? It'll probably be more like $750...
Phone: Galaxy S4 Mini Black Edition (GT-9195)
Firmware: CyanogenMod 11
Launcher: Google Experience Launcher

Previous phones: Samsung E317, Motorola KRZR K1, Sony Ericsson w580i, Samsung Sync (SGH-A707), Sony Ericsson F305, Blackberry Bold 9700, Blackberry Torch 9800, AT&T Galaxy SII (SGH-I777), Nexus 5, AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)

So say we all.

mahanddeem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdm View Post
That estimate seems really low. The S2 (both international and AT&T) is still selling for like $550 new. You think the S3 is going to sell for less than $500? It'll probably be more like $750...
That's a smart point indeed ...

AT&T stores and website are selling the GS2 I777 for $449.99 now
Maybe a little less in 1 or 2 months , ~$350-$400
And for sure GS3 price would be skyhigh in the near future , ~$750 or more when released , at least 3-4 months from now ... Clearly out of my budget..